I need to be in Cologne on the evening of June 12, and will fly into either Amsterdam or Paris, arriving in the morning on Thursday June 7 or Friday June 8.
I don't particularly want to spend time in Amsterdam or Paris, but would rather travel slowly to Cologne -- through countryside and interesting smaller towns. Bus, train, boat -- I will just have a small backpack, so very mobile.
I'm having difficulties figuring out the transit -- everything I find on the web seems to be either (a) get a car, or (b) ride a high-speed train from city X to city Y.
How do I research/plan this? And suggestions for interesting routes would be gratefully received.
"Slow" public transport from Paris or Amsterdam to Cologne?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How to decide where to go in Europe
- 2 Euro Trivia quiz #17 - People and Places #2
- 3 Berlin
- 4 Family vacay for 6 weeks with 2 Toddlers
- 5 Airport ATMs
- 6 Pasteurized Cheese in Paris
- 7 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 8 Honeymoon in Provence - 14 day itinerary help please
- 9 Travelling from Paris to Madrid
- 10 Northern Italy Itinerary Help
- 11 Budget family trip to Europe
- 12 Help! Italy & France and Italy-Two Weeks?
- 13 Dining at the Eiffel Tower: 58 Tour Eiffel Restaurant Review
- 14 Toulouse & Paris Day Trips
- 15 Dordogne & Lot Day Hiking
- 16 By train to and out of Prague
- 17 Huge New 5,000 Year Old Underground City Excavated in Cappadocia
- 18 history museums or locations
- 19 FCO-area hotel advice, family of 4 with young children
- 20 Scuol, Switzerland
- 21 Last-minute detour to Paris: a 4-day live trip report
- 22 Tripadvisor fined in Italy over fake reviews
- 23 Side trip from Chamonix in January
- 24 Lake Como transportation questions
- 25 Scotland- Edinburgh