I will be traveling by myself for 3-4 nights in January, leaving and returning from Chamonix. I tend to like unique and intimate towns. I was considering Golfo Paradiso or Lake Como since they will be quiet in January (but maybe too quiet? I don't want to be the only guest).
I was hoping some veterans/locals could chime in and let me know great towns to visit. Switzerland is also an option, but as I will already be spending time in Chamonix I thought Italy might provide variety. Also, I am going to Annecy afterwards.
My main thoughts are: should I stick to the Alps in January since it will be grey/closed/cold elsewhere? Or is a jaunt to Northern Italy totally worth it? I am open to renting a car and driving around 4 hours each way. Small towns appeal but I understand a large town in low tourism season could be nice. I loved Rome, want to go somewhere new.
Thank you so much for any and all guidance! I have not been able to make much progress on internet searches alone to answer these questions...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 France Itinerary Advice
- 2 Madrid to Northern Spain- 4 days/2 kids. Help w itinerary pls!
- 3 Croatia - Help on itinerary
- 4 Kroller-Muller - Paleis Het Loo - Maurithuis
- 5 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 6 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 7 The Dordogne & Loire Valley?
- 8 Thrift Stores in Paris
- 9 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 10 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 11 Opinion on sights in Florence
- 12 Barcelona, Bilboa, Cuena, Madrid
- 13 Help needed for our trip to Munich, Salzburg, Prague & Vienna
- 14 dinner jackets
- 15 10 days Greece in mid-Sept 2017
- 16 2 weeks Europe trip
- 17 Krakow and Prague-one week
- 18 Transportation
- 19 Help needed/wanted to central/east Europe
- 20 4 days in Provence in early June
- 21 Lodging in Zurich and Lucerne?
- 22 Leather goods in Florence
- 23 Security -- day pack at museums +
- 24 Italy Hotel Recommondations
- 25 Trip to Rome