I will be traveling by myself for 3-4 nights in January, leaving and returning from Chamonix. I tend to like unique and intimate towns. I was considering Golfo Paradiso or Lake Como since they will be quiet in January (but maybe too quiet? I don't want to be the only guest).
I was hoping some veterans/locals could chime in and let me know great towns to visit. Switzerland is also an option, but as I will already be spending time in Chamonix I thought Italy might provide variety. Also, I am going to Annecy afterwards.
My main thoughts are: should I stick to the Alps in January since it will be grey/closed/cold elsewhere? Or is a jaunt to Northern Italy totally worth it? I am open to renting a car and driving around 4 hours each way. Small towns appeal but I understand a large town in low tourism season could be nice. I loved Rome, want to go somewhere new.
Thank you so much for any and all guidance! I have not been able to make much progress on internet searches alone to answer these questions...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ireland in April-Day trips from Galway base
- 2 Boston to Le Marche - which airport?
- 3 International Flight Question
- 4 NOT our first trip to Ireland
- 5 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 6 Another tipping question: concierges
- 7 Driving from Viena to Frankfurt
- 8 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 9 What to wear to wedding in Sweden
- 10 Back from Paris
- 11 One day on the Amalfi coast
- 12 UK: "Ghost Trains!"
- 13 Luggage Storage
- 14 LIsbon
- 15 Best method to travel from Antalya to Cappadocia?
- 16 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 17 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 18 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 19 Paris- 1 B.R. APT.
- 20 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 21 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 22 Bernese Oberland + Luzern 4 days
- 23 Trip suggestion
- 24 Spain in July
- 25 Summer Travel order