I will be traveling by myself for 3-4 nights in January, leaving and returning from Chamonix. I tend to like unique and intimate towns. I was considering Golfo Paradiso or Lake Como since they will be quiet in January (but maybe too quiet? I don't want to be the only guest).
I was hoping some veterans/locals could chime in and let me know great towns to visit. Switzerland is also an option, but as I will already be spending time in Chamonix I thought Italy might provide variety. Also, I am going to Annecy afterwards.
My main thoughts are: should I stick to the Alps in January since it will be grey/closed/cold elsewhere? Or is a jaunt to Northern Italy totally worth it? I am open to renting a car and driving around 4 hours each way. Small towns appeal but I understand a large town in low tourism season could be nice. I loved Rome, want to go somewhere new.
Thank you so much for any and all guidance! I have not been able to make much progress on internet searches alone to answer these questions...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 2 Vacation apartment registration begins in Paris 1 Oct
- 3 Paging @bobthenavigator and others for Amalfi Coast accommodation advice
- 4 Barcelona - Safety/Language/Trip Ideas
- 5 Solo accommodation -- London -- Dec 19-ish
- 6 Christmas in London; New Year's in Edinburgh
- 7 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 8 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 9 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 10 Scotland in 18 nights, smirr and sun and mud!
- 11 Italy June 6-16
- 12 Caution picking car from Europcar at Stazione Termini
- 13 Positano vs. Amalfi vs. Praiano
- 14 hill of crosses
- 15 Austria Trip Report
- 16 What is your favorite Greek Island?
- 17 Driving through Paris
- 18 Northern Ireland ideas
- 19 Birthday dinner in Salzburg
- 20 Paris Neighborhood Help
- 21 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 22 Long weekend in Albania
- 23 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 24 Airfare from Paris to Bastia
- 25 Hotels in Seville and Cordoba