I will be traveling by myself for 3-4 nights in January, leaving and returning from Chamonix. I tend to like unique and intimate towns. I was considering Golfo Paradiso or Lake Como since they will be quiet in January (but maybe too quiet? I don't want to be the only guest).
I was hoping some veterans/locals could chime in and let me know great towns to visit. Switzerland is also an option, but as I will already be spending time in Chamonix I thought Italy might provide variety. Also, I am going to Annecy afterwards.
My main thoughts are: should I stick to the Alps in January since it will be grey/closed/cold elsewhere? Or is a jaunt to Northern Italy totally worth it? I am open to renting a car and driving around 4 hours each way. Small towns appeal but I understand a large town in low tourism season could be nice. I loved Rome, want to go somewhere new.
Thank you so much for any and all guidance! I have not been able to make much progress on internet searches alone to answer these questions...
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 base for Andalucia
- 2 Globus Iberian Tour
- 3 Italy travel plan help
- 4 Heading to Amsterdam soon. Do you recommend I try weed?
- 5 Italy itinerary - input needed, please!!
- 6 Florence hotels: JK Place vs. Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni
- 7 23 day honeymoon to Greece
- 8 Looking for a UK coach tour company for seniors
- 9 Copenhagen,Helsinki,St. Petersburg in mid September
- 10 Getting from Bordeaux Gare to the airport
- 11 Adivice from experts please, Southern Dutch/Belgium German Borders
- 12 Help Needed for 8/20: Train from Salzburg to Garmisch
- 13 Black Forest base 7-10 days - public transport
- 14 Shorts in South of France?
- 15 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 16 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 17 Loire Valley best place to linger
- 18 Journees du patrimonie 2017
- 19 First trip to the UK, please help me
- 20 Poland to Austria In December
- 21 Alsace to Austria?
- 22 Wales
- 23 Paris in early august
- 24 Posting Packages from Central Europe
- 25 How to spend 6 days in Stockholm ?