We are a family of three (including a "tween") who have always wanted to visit parts of Southern Italy and realized we had a window of 2 1/2 weeks in August when we might be able to do so. Generally, we like a combination of some "down time" when we can mostly relax (the tween would appreciate a pool somewhere along the way), some time to see ancient sites, some time outdoors (including hiking). In the past, we've found staying around 3-4 nights in a location gives us a balance between seeing different places and enjoying each place and the trip as a whole, although certainly we have done more or less in the past.
We have been poking around and trying to figure out where exactly we'd go, recognizing both that it will be hot and high season. We are looking at eastern Sicily, and then I am wondering where else we should include, such as an Aeolian Island, Malta or perhaps even the Amalfi Coast.
I know this is somewhat open-ended but I thought I would see if I could benefit from the wisdom of this board on a few questions, such as--
is it crazy to go to Sicily in August?
if we wanted 2-3 "bases" for this trip, which would be good ones? Should we cross off AC on the grounds that it's the most crowded and logistically difficult?
Any other words of wisdom?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 2 seat reservations
- 3 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 4 Paris experts- hotel near train ?
- 5 Valencia Spain
- 6 Germany-Car or Train
- 7 Night Bus?
- 8 TER ticket bought online -- good all day?
- 9 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 10 Crannog Centre or Atholl Country Life Museum
- 11 Andalucia Spain
- 12 Advice for Time in Cumbria and/or Yorkshire Dales
- 13 Gtg's in Paris this summer ?
- 14 Provence Hotel and Flights
- 15 Tips for tour company tour guides
- 16 Short time in Vienna
- 17 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 18 Switzerland part of 3-week trip
- 19 Jewish Vienna
- 20 Driving in Saint Emilion
- 21 My special places in Europe
- 22 Italy in a week
- 23 3 days outside Venice
- 24 London, you are my number one now (replacing Paris)
- 25 Reaching the Lake District