We are a family of three (including a "tween") who have always wanted to visit parts of Southern Italy and realized we had a window of 2 1/2 weeks in August when we might be able to do so. Generally, we like a combination of some "down time" when we can mostly relax (the tween would appreciate a pool somewhere along the way), some time to see ancient sites, some time outdoors (including hiking). In the past, we've found staying around 3-4 nights in a location gives us a balance between seeing different places and enjoying each place and the trip as a whole, although certainly we have done more or less in the past.
We have been poking around and trying to figure out where exactly we'd go, recognizing both that it will be hot and high season. We are looking at eastern Sicily, and then I am wondering where else we should include, such as an Aeolian Island, Malta or perhaps even the Amalfi Coast.
I know this is somewhat open-ended but I thought I would see if I could benefit from the wisdom of this board on a few questions, such as--
is it crazy to go to Sicily in August?
if we wanted 2-3 "bases" for this trip, which would be good ones? Should we cross off AC on the grounds that it's the most crowded and logistically difficult?
Any other words of wisdom?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Support: Yahoo Mail YAHOO Tec*H CONTACT 18OO:54O;683O YAHOO 24*7
- 2 Italian lake cruise
- 3 Vatican tour
- 4 Couscous
- 5 Need advice on multi-day, multi-museum private tours in Paris
- 6 Tuscany Itinerary
- 7 Paris: Museums, food and wine -- May 2017
- 8 Has the Paris Museum Pass lost its luster?
- 9 Why do you visit X or Y?
- 10 Solo in Paris and looking for the best neighborhood
- 11 Renting a car for France thru BritishAirways.com instead of AutoEurope
- 12 Cycling Nice into Italy along the coast
- 13 Madrid and Andalucia Itinerary and Travel Advice
- 14 Best Barcelona neighborhood
- 15 Paris..The St. Germain area.
- 16 One evening : Lausanne or Geneve ?
- 17 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 18 London in Winter Report
- 19 driving from London to Lourdes
- 20 Is Dalamatian Coast similar to Amalfi Coast in terms of travel logistics?
- 21 Paris Restaurants esp in Marais
- 22 transportation from De Gaulle airport
- 23 Multi Country car Rental
- 24 Favourite Alpine and Mediterranean place?
- 25 Problem using American bank card in Turkey