We are a family of three (including a "tween") who have always wanted to visit parts of Southern Italy and realized we had a window of 2 1/2 weeks in August when we might be able to do so. Generally, we like a combination of some "down time" when we can mostly relax (the tween would appreciate a pool somewhere along the way), some time to see ancient sites, some time outdoors (including hiking). In the past, we've found staying around 3-4 nights in a location gives us a balance between seeing different places and enjoying each place and the trip as a whole, although certainly we have done more or less in the past.
We have been poking around and trying to figure out where exactly we'd go, recognizing both that it will be hot and high season. We are looking at eastern Sicily, and then I am wondering where else we should include, such as an Aeolian Island, Malta or perhaps even the Amalfi Coast.
I know this is somewhat open-ended but I thought I would see if I could benefit from the wisdom of this board on a few questions, such as--
is it crazy to go to Sicily in August?
if we wanted 2-3 "bases" for this trip, which would be good ones? Should we cross off AC on the grounds that it's the most crowded and logistically difficult?
Any other words of wisdom?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Croatia transportation question.
- 2 Malaga - places to stay and eat
- 3 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 4 Westerplatte
- 5 What is best for gps & data for trip to spain and portugal?
- 6 Biarritz family holiday
- 7 Ireland hotel questions
- 8 Isles of Scilly - Anyone Been?
- 9 Suggested Italy Itinerary
- 10 Need hotel recommendations for Madrid, Toledo & Andalucia
- 11 Cutback on Spain trip
- 12 3 days in Ortygia Sicily
- 13 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 14 getting to CDG
- 15 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 16 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 17 Help Planning Seot 2017 Trip to Andalusia
- 18 European Travel - Trivia Quiz #151
- 19 Greece...so many options! (11 days)
- 20 Ireland trip planning recommendations - March
- 21 Ireland travel passport question
- 22 Bernina Express mid-March
- 23 If you had to choose one......
- 24 Please help with 12 days in England!
- 25 Trying to pick a Greek Island