I am starting to think about a fun family trip for myself, my husband, my parents and my sister for my sister's 30th birthday trip next year (thinking early September 2012). We are going to book with miles, so we will need to figure out our general plan in the next few months.
We will have ~10 days and are thinking about starting in Sicily (no clue where yet), spending 4-5 days there, taking 2-3 days to drive up the western coast of Italy, spend 1 day in Pompeii and get rid of our car in Naples. From there, my husband and I will go to Rome for 2 days before we go back to Chicago and my family will go to Capri, on to Bari, then to Greece (or somewhere else...haven't gotten that far yet!).
All of us are active (hiking, camping, running...though mom and sister are on the lower end of the active scale), enjoy eating (the family is vegetarian and LOVES Italian food - esp pizza / pasta), and enjoy learning about other cultures. Would appreciate your must dos and any advice on driving from Sicily to Napoli.
I was wondering if you had any recommendations for an amazing 10 day trip. Any favorite places to visit (and stay)? We will likely rent a little apartment in Sicily and use that as a base to get around. We will try to stay in little B&Bs for the rest of the trip. I truly appreciate your suggestions! Thanks in advance for your help.
Sicily and Amalfi Trip Help
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Quickest Way from Vienna to Prague
- 2 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 3 Dublin Hostels
- 4 Avignon to London?
- 5 England/Scotland/Wales Planning-Summr 2014
- 6 Transportation from Peisey Vallandry to Paris
- 7 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 8 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 9 Prague 3 nights - Top 10 things to do
- 10 Amsterdam -Belgium -Germany -Amsterdam
- 11 Apartments in Jun/Jul in Rome, Venice, Florence (family of 5)
- 12 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 13 Will I be able to add minutes to the phone I bought in Spain 3 years ago?
- 14 Need Advice for my first family to Europe
- 15 From CDG to the Seventh?
- 16 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 17 Better to return car in Orvieto or airport Fiumicino (in Rome)
- 18 Any suggestions for accomodations in Venice Italy mid June?
- 19 Boulevard Saint Germain from start to finish
- 20 Traveling to Munich
- 21 Cilento, Calabria and Basilicata: Help fill in a few blanks for us
- 22 Traveling from Amalfi Coast to Pompeii, etc. Using Public Transportation
- 23 Prague, Austria and Germany in 17 days
- 24 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 25 Small group tour for Vatican and Colosseum/Forum, ? catacombs