I am starting to think about a fun family trip for myself, my husband, my parents and my sister for my sister's 30th birthday trip next year (thinking early September 2012). We are going to book with miles, so we will need to figure out our general plan in the next few months.
We will have ~10 days and are thinking about starting in Sicily (no clue where yet), spending 4-5 days there, taking 2-3 days to drive up the western coast of Italy, spend 1 day in Pompeii and get rid of our car in Naples. From there, my husband and I will go to Rome for 2 days before we go back to Chicago and my family will go to Capri, on to Bari, then to Greece (or somewhere else...haven't gotten that far yet!).
All of us are active (hiking, camping, running...though mom and sister are on the lower end of the active scale), enjoy eating (the family is vegetarian and LOVES Italian food - esp pizza / pasta), and enjoy learning about other cultures. Would appreciate your must dos and any advice on driving from Sicily to Napoli.
I was wondering if you had any recommendations for an amazing 10 day trip. Any favorite places to visit (and stay)? We will likely rent a little apartment in Sicily and use that as a base to get around. We will try to stay in little B&Bs for the rest of the trip. I truly appreciate your suggestions! Thanks in advance for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Airport Transportation
- 2 Ger’s Paris Trip Report: February 2017
- 3 Agriturismo with train access to Florence
- 4 Storing bags while traveling using Swiss Rail Pass.
- 5 My thoughts go to Manchester
- 6 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 7 France Study Abroad
- 8 London is it worth it?
- 9 Driving Bruges to Paris. Is it worth the drive?
- 10 Paris: Museums, food and wine -- May 2017
- 11 free international phone calls
- 12 Taxi from Heathrow Airport
- 13 Inside the Red Light District so you don't have to be
- 14 Our recent CDG experience (Delta)
- 15 Languedoc, Dordogne & Bordeaux Itinerary Expert Help Please
- 16 Bergan Fjord.. 1 day
- 17 Europe in 2 weeks on budget
- 18 Early morning flight Venice/VCE
- 19 London 6 day itinerary
- 20 First family holiday to Europe & wanting advice
- 21 FIndng Vintage French Workwear in Paris
- 22 International drivers permit
- 23 Why do you visit X or Y?
- 24 Any itinerary hints for Prague
- 25 Paris and Normandy