I am starting to think about a fun family trip for myself, my husband, my parents and my sister for my sister's 30th birthday trip next year (thinking early September 2012). We are going to book with miles, so we will need to figure out our general plan in the next few months.
We will have ~10 days and are thinking about starting in Sicily (no clue where yet), spending 4-5 days there, taking 2-3 days to drive up the western coast of Italy, spend 1 day in Pompeii and get rid of our car in Naples. From there, my husband and I will go to Rome for 2 days before we go back to Chicago and my family will go to Capri, on to Bari, then to Greece (or somewhere else...haven't gotten that far yet!).
All of us are active (hiking, camping, running...though mom and sister are on the lower end of the active scale), enjoy eating (the family is vegetarian and LOVES Italian food - esp pizza / pasta), and enjoy learning about other cultures. Would appreciate your must dos and any advice on driving from Sicily to Napoli.
I was wondering if you had any recommendations for an amazing 10 day trip. Any favorite places to visit (and stay)? We will likely rent a little apartment in Sicily and use that as a base to get around. We will try to stay in little B&Bs for the rest of the trip. I truly appreciate your suggestions! Thanks in advance for your help.
Sicily and Amalfi Trip Help
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 driving from Barcelona to Venice by car
- 2 Discount Card and itinerary for Paris for family of 4
- 3 Favorite things to do in London
- 4 Interested In Coach Passes
- 5 Southern Spain - What to SEE, what to BUY - what NOT to miss
- 6 3 days in Bordeaux
- 7 Rick Steves - Ugly American Again!
- 8 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 9 Barcelona next week, itinerary critique?
- 10 Schengen Visa Question - Student Visa / Visitor Visa
- 11 Ventimiglia to Trieste
- 12 Where to stay the night between Naples and Matera
- 13 4 days in lake region
- 14 Ellen & Stu Dudley's trip to the Ile de Re & the Loire.
- 15 Scotland Explorer Pass
- 16 Easyjet; Vueling; Ryanair "Carryon" Question
- 17 Piran to Venice via ferry
- 18 7 countries in a month
- 19 Barcelona Hotels, Looking for recommendations
- 20 car rental issues Italy Slovenia Croatia
- 21 Strasbourg restaurant recommendations
- 22 A taste of Norway: Bergen and the fjords for four day
- 23 Tipping in the UK
- 24 Confused about train travel - Paris, Colmar, Lucerne, Lake Como
- 25 Traffic Violation from Italy