I am starting to think about a fun family trip for myself, my husband, my parents and my sister for my sister's 30th birthday trip next year (thinking early September 2012). We are going to book with miles, so we will need to figure out our general plan in the next few months.
We will have ~10 days and are thinking about starting in Sicily (no clue where yet), spending 4-5 days there, taking 2-3 days to drive up the western coast of Italy, spend 1 day in Pompeii and get rid of our car in Naples. From there, my husband and I will go to Rome for 2 days before we go back to Chicago and my family will go to Capri, on to Bari, then to Greece (or somewhere else...haven't gotten that far yet!).
All of us are active (hiking, camping, running...though mom and sister are on the lower end of the active scale), enjoy eating (the family is vegetarian and LOVES Italian food - esp pizza / pasta), and enjoy learning about other cultures. Would appreciate your must dos and any advice on driving from Sicily to Napoli.
I was wondering if you had any recommendations for an amazing 10 day trip. Any favorite places to visit (and stay)? We will likely rent a little apartment in Sicily and use that as a base to get around. We will try to stay in little B&Bs for the rest of the trip. I truly appreciate your suggestions! Thanks in advance for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Visiting St. Mark's Basilica in Venice
- 2 French Riviera
- 3 Avoid Viking River Cruises
- 4 Enjoying England for a year!
- 5 Decrepit dame does Deutschland
- 6 3 hours or so in Milano (quick stopover)
- 7 Trip Report with Kids: Germany/Austria/Benelux
- 8 Greek Itinerary Help: 8 days Early November w/ 12-yr-old
- 9 Ian McKellen & Patrick Stewart in No Man's Land
- 10 Seeking apartment recommendations in a Chanti village
- 11 Tuscan Winery Suggestions
- 12 Advice to store my luggage in Paris ?
- 13 transfer from Civitavecchia to Fiumicino airport
- 14 Car necessary in Wengen, Switzerland
- 15 Stonehenge and Bath
- 16 Amsterdam bike rides and maps
- 17 Barcelona extension
- 18 Venice, Maggiore, Jungfrau
- 19 Need some suggestions for Andalucia / Barcelona / Madrid starting Dec 25
- 20 My First Trip to Europe...
- 21 France 2016: Paris--Avignon--Provence--Nice
- 22 From Genoa to Rome...
- 23 French Gov't Passes New Labor Law Despite...
- 24 Restaurants and sights in Puglia
- 25 Leipzig, Dresden, Meissen, Bautzen, etc.