I am starting to think about a fun family trip for myself, my husband, my parents and my sister for my sister's 30th birthday trip next year (thinking early September 2012). We are going to book with miles, so we will need to figure out our general plan in the next few months.
We will have ~10 days and are thinking about starting in Sicily (no clue where yet), spending 4-5 days there, taking 2-3 days to drive up the western coast of Italy, spend 1 day in Pompeii and get rid of our car in Naples. From there, my husband and I will go to Rome for 2 days before we go back to Chicago and my family will go to Capri, on to Bari, then to Greece (or somewhere else...haven't gotten that far yet!).
All of us are active (hiking, camping, running...though mom and sister are on the lower end of the active scale), enjoy eating (the family is vegetarian and LOVES Italian food - esp pizza / pasta), and enjoy learning about other cultures. Would appreciate your must dos and any advice on driving from Sicily to Napoli.
I was wondering if you had any recommendations for an amazing 10 day trip. Any favorite places to visit (and stay)? We will likely rent a little apartment in Sicily and use that as a base to get around. We will try to stay in little B&Bs for the rest of the trip. I truly appreciate your suggestions! Thanks in advance for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Sardegna in Sept/Oct - please help!
- 2 Train Travel Northern Italy
- 3 What do pack for Ireland?
- 4 Relaxing on the Rhone - a river cruise virgin's trip report.
- 5 Antwerp Tram
- 6 Getting From Milan to Arezzo
- 7 The most interesting city/town in the UK-in your opinion
- 8 3 weeks, 3 European Countries, 6 cities
- 9 Rudesheim Bacharach or other suggestions.
- 10 The Impact of AirBnB in Paris
- 11 Twelve Nights: Venice, Bologna & Paris (plus Ravenna)
- 12 Winter Western Europe Tour
- 13 French Strike Chaos to Get Worse?
- 14 Boat ride from Naples to Capri
- 15 Road trip Cinque Terre to Nice or ST
- 16 Paris Architecture - tours or guides you can recommend?
- 17 Paris, Versailles and Jet Lag
- 18 Traveling advice for Amalfi coast
- 19 Verdun ceremonies -- 100th anniversary of the battle
- 20 Fake police scam in Budapest
- 21 a few days in berlin and auschwitz?
- 22 Marseille Airport rental return
- 23 4 or 5 European cites in 16 days??
- 24 Alhambra
- 25 Road trip from Milan Rome