I am starting to think about a fun family trip for myself, my husband, my parents and my sister for my sister's 30th birthday trip next year (thinking early September 2012). We are going to book with miles, so we will need to figure out our general plan in the next few months.
We will have ~10 days and are thinking about starting in Sicily (no clue where yet), spending 4-5 days there, taking 2-3 days to drive up the western coast of Italy, spend 1 day in Pompeii and get rid of our car in Naples. From there, my husband and I will go to Rome for 2 days before we go back to Chicago and my family will go to Capri, on to Bari, then to Greece (or somewhere else...haven't gotten that far yet!).
All of us are active (hiking, camping, running...though mom and sister are on the lower end of the active scale), enjoy eating (the family is vegetarian and LOVES Italian food - esp pizza / pasta), and enjoy learning about other cultures. Would appreciate your must dos and any advice on driving from Sicily to Napoli.
I was wondering if you had any recommendations for an amazing 10 day trip. Any favorite places to visit (and stay)? We will likely rent a little apartment in Sicily and use that as a base to get around. We will try to stay in little B&Bs for the rest of the trip. I truly appreciate your suggestions! Thanks in advance for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 2 Cinqueterre
- 3 Clocks forward one hour tonight
- 4 London lodging 3 adults 3 kids (7,11,13)
- 5 Photo tours Zurich Lucern areas
- 6 Something to do with my mother-in-law in Madrid
- 7 Road trip Italy
- 8 Thoughts on visiting Turkey this summer? Safe?
- 9 To Aeolians or Not? Please Critique our Sicily Itinerary for May/June
- 10 2017 Tulips, Amsterdam, Time(as in three days)
- 11 Does Zurich have a hop on hop off bus system
- 12 Ireland Itinerary- biting off more than we can chew?
- 13 Visiting paris and italy can this itinerary work?
- 14 Cordoba, Granada, Seville loop
- 15 Hilton CPH no loner
- 16 Swiss registered car in Liechtenstein
- 17 travel around Spain
- 18 Scotland Trip Report
- 19 French Wedding
- 20 Best way to walk up Gianicolo hill Rome
- 21 Charming villages in Austria for hiking trip in mid-June 2016?
- 22 Trip Report Crete May 2016
- 23 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 24 Spain: general question about Mondays and museums
- 25 Skip the line tours of the Alhambra, Granada.