I am starting to think about a fun family trip for myself, my husband, my parents and my sister for my sister's 30th birthday trip next year (thinking early September 2012). We are going to book with miles, so we will need to figure out our general plan in the next few months.
We will have ~10 days and are thinking about starting in Sicily (no clue where yet), spending 4-5 days there, taking 2-3 days to drive up the western coast of Italy, spend 1 day in Pompeii and get rid of our car in Naples. From there, my husband and I will go to Rome for 2 days before we go back to Chicago and my family will go to Capri, on to Bari, then to Greece (or somewhere else...haven't gotten that far yet!).
All of us are active (hiking, camping, running...though mom and sister are on the lower end of the active scale), enjoy eating (the family is vegetarian and LOVES Italian food - esp pizza / pasta), and enjoy learning about other cultures. Would appreciate your must dos and any advice on driving from Sicily to Napoli.
I was wondering if you had any recommendations for an amazing 10 day trip. Any favorite places to visit (and stay)? We will likely rent a little apartment in Sicily and use that as a base to get around. We will try to stay in little B&Bs for the rest of the trip. I truly appreciate your suggestions! Thanks in advance for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 European countries thst could use some hospitality lessons.
- 2 One week travelling from Spain to Paris
- 3 ls there anything such as Spanish cuisine?
- 4 France to stop making foie grois
- 5 AVE train tickets questions.
- 6 How did you or your family ended up in the country you are living now?
- 7 Venice, Maggiore, Jungfrau
- 8 Istanbul - Would you go there?
- 9 Hotel to Seville train station -- how much time needed
- 10 Rome to Positano
- 11 Day trips from Uzes
- 12 Laundry - Ireland?
- 13 How best to spend a day in Tallinn
- 14 Naples or Genoa
- 15 "PARIS FOR RENT". Apartments----has anyone used this service?
- 16 Sept. 2016 Apt. In Paris just cancelled---YIKES!
- 17 Traveling with medication in bulk
- 18 Need Barcelona Gaudi Ticket Help
- 19 Sevilla to Cordoba Day Trip: How many hours needed?
- 20 Barcelona attraction tickets
- 21 Swimming in 17th century fountains in Rome
- 22 3 nights in St Petersburg, 3 in Moscow, Private tour vs. Group?
- 23 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 24 Interlaken-Lucerne Express 19th July- reservation required??
- 25 Need some suggestions for Andalucia / Barcelona / Madrid starting Dec 25