I am starting to think about a fun family trip for myself, my husband, my parents and my sister for my sister's 30th birthday trip next year (thinking early September 2012). We are going to book with miles, so we will need to figure out our general plan in the next few months.
We will have ~10 days and are thinking about starting in Sicily (no clue where yet), spending 4-5 days there, taking 2-3 days to drive up the western coast of Italy, spend 1 day in Pompeii and get rid of our car in Naples. From there, my husband and I will go to Rome for 2 days before we go back to Chicago and my family will go to Capri, on to Bari, then to Greece (or somewhere else...haven't gotten that far yet!).
All of us are active (hiking, camping, running...though mom and sister are on the lower end of the active scale), enjoy eating (the family is vegetarian and LOVES Italian food - esp pizza / pasta), and enjoy learning about other cultures. Would appreciate your must dos and any advice on driving from Sicily to Napoli.
I was wondering if you had any recommendations for an amazing 10 day trip. Any favorite places to visit (and stay)? We will likely rent a little apartment in Sicily and use that as a base to get around. We will try to stay in little B&Bs for the rest of the trip. I truly appreciate your suggestions! Thanks in advance for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 SE ITALY
- 2 Amsterdam Mayor retires
- 3 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 4 Girl Talk -- Clothing for Amalfi Coast and Rome, 9/28-10/8
- 5 Just curious--why Airbnb?
- 6 Dordogne France, 6 days, 13 people!
- 7 First trip to Europe with teens 14 and 15 Spain or Italy?
- 8 Shuttle from CDG into Paris
- 9 Bike rental - Aix en Provence area
- 10 Helpful Hint
- 11 Romania : Tip in restaurants.
- 12 Suggestions for driving Cadiz to Zaragosa
- 13 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 14 To the top of Europe, and back again.
- 15 Itinerary for Italy, Slovenia and Croatia in December 2017
- 16 Clueless, planning trip to Scotland
- 17 Roman (and Florentine, Venetian) Holiday with la Principessa
- 18 Croatia short sail trip
- 19 Spain, Portugal, 10 days family of 7.
- 20 6 Days in Italy
- 21 The Little Cyclades, Santorini, Vienna
- 22 Stu Tower
- 23 two weeks in England including a mini Fodor get together
- 24 Two weeks in Greece early October
- 25 London and Paris - 3 days each