I am starting to think about a fun family trip for myself, my husband, my parents and my sister for my sister's 30th birthday trip next year (thinking early September 2012). We are going to book with miles, so we will need to figure out our general plan in the next few months.
We will have ~10 days and are thinking about starting in Sicily (no clue where yet), spending 4-5 days there, taking 2-3 days to drive up the western coast of Italy, spend 1 day in Pompeii and get rid of our car in Naples. From there, my husband and I will go to Rome for 2 days before we go back to Chicago and my family will go to Capri, on to Bari, then to Greece (or somewhere else...haven't gotten that far yet!).
All of us are active (hiking, camping, running...though mom and sister are on the lower end of the active scale), enjoy eating (the family is vegetarian and LOVES Italian food - esp pizza / pasta), and enjoy learning about other cultures. Would appreciate your must dos and any advice on driving from Sicily to Napoli.
I was wondering if you had any recommendations for an amazing 10 day trip. Any favorite places to visit (and stay)? We will likely rent a little apartment in Sicily and use that as a base to get around. We will try to stay in little B&Bs for the rest of the trip. I truly appreciate your suggestions! Thanks in advance for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Mantova, Ravenna, Ferrara fall 2017?
- 2 Semana Santa Other than Sevilla
- 3 14 days end to end London Heathrow
- 4 3-days Athens Itinerary, thoughts? Starting this Wednesday!
- 5 help with Italy itinerary
- 6 yk's 12 days in Spain by herself Trip Report
- 7 Praiano
- 8 Looking for a unique 3 days in Venice
- 9 AVE Train Advice from Madrid to Barcelona
- 10 One Month in Italy - Where would you base yourself?
- 11 Chamonix to Paris
- 12 Can I do Stonehenge and Bath from Isle of Wight in 1 day?
- 13 Rome-Itinerary
- 14 How long from Heathrow to Isle of Wight
- 15 Good location for Paris apartment?
- 16 Scotland and London 21 days
- 17 Rome to venice
- 18 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 19 Is there a Limit to time spent at Eiffel Tower
- 20 Advice 10 day Itinerary Ireland
- 21 8-9 day Paris-Amsterdam-Rome
- 22 Ireland itinerary help please
- 23 Frustrated about Smolensk
- 24 madrid-san sebastian-barcelona
- 25 May/June 2016 - Switzerland, Germany, and Austria - Hiking Included