I am starting to think about a fun family trip for myself, my husband, my parents and my sister for my sister's 30th birthday trip next year (thinking early September 2012). We are going to book with miles, so we will need to figure out our general plan in the next few months.
We will have ~10 days and are thinking about starting in Sicily (no clue where yet), spending 4-5 days there, taking 2-3 days to drive up the western coast of Italy, spend 1 day in Pompeii and get rid of our car in Naples. From there, my husband and I will go to Rome for 2 days before we go back to Chicago and my family will go to Capri, on to Bari, then to Greece (or somewhere else...haven't gotten that far yet!).
All of us are active (hiking, camping, running...though mom and sister are on the lower end of the active scale), enjoy eating (the family is vegetarian and LOVES Italian food - esp pizza / pasta), and enjoy learning about other cultures. Would appreciate your must dos and any advice on driving from Sicily to Napoli.
I was wondering if you had any recommendations for an amazing 10 day trip. Any favorite places to visit (and stay)? We will likely rent a little apartment in Sicily and use that as a base to get around. We will try to stay in little B&Bs for the rest of the trip. I truly appreciate your suggestions! Thanks in advance for your help.
Sicily and Amalfi Trip Help
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Special restaurants - recommendations needed
- 2 Anyone been to Rhodes,Crete,etc. over Christmas?
- 3 Crete/Santorini OR Positano/Capri - where to visit?
- 4 We saw a fox on Great Ormond St (and other sights up and down the Thames)
- 5 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 6 London Tube strike scheduled for Apr 28 (2 days) and May 5 (3 days). Help!
- 7 Ireland 8 day Itinerary help
- 8 best time to book accommodation
- 9 Advice for budget trip to Venice, espec trains & Groupons
- 10 Venice canal boats--best deals?
- 11 Amsterdam / Belgium Itinerary
- 12 Mosquitos in Camargue---is it really that bad??
- 13 London visit
- 14 Long Weekend in Lisbon - Loved it!
- 15 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 16 Any experience with Cave Lodging in Loire Valley?
- 17 Getting to San Seb from Madrid
- 18 No points in Paris .....
- 19 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 20 Basque Spain to Lourdes to Carcassonne to Provence! 12 busy days solo
- 21 Pompeii train to Naples
- 22 Small group for Colosseum
- 23 Cornwall Trip Addition
- 24 Planning 17 days Italy - Switzerland - Germany
- 25 Reviews on Adriatic Travel Agency?