I am starting to think about a fun family trip for myself, my husband, my parents and my sister for my sister's 30th birthday trip next year (thinking early September 2012). We are going to book with miles, so we will need to figure out our general plan in the next few months.
We will have ~10 days and are thinking about starting in Sicily (no clue where yet), spending 4-5 days there, taking 2-3 days to drive up the western coast of Italy, spend 1 day in Pompeii and get rid of our car in Naples. From there, my husband and I will go to Rome for 2 days before we go back to Chicago and my family will go to Capri, on to Bari, then to Greece (or somewhere else...haven't gotten that far yet!).
All of us are active (hiking, camping, running...though mom and sister are on the lower end of the active scale), enjoy eating (the family is vegetarian and LOVES Italian food - esp pizza / pasta), and enjoy learning about other cultures. Would appreciate your must dos and any advice on driving from Sicily to Napoli.
I was wondering if you had any recommendations for an amazing 10 day trip. Any favorite places to visit (and stay)? We will likely rent a little apartment in Sicily and use that as a base to get around. We will try to stay in little B&Bs for the rest of the trip. I truly appreciate your suggestions! Thanks in advance for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Honeymoon trip to Europe - Would love your recommendations
- 2 Travel WiFi - France
- 3 Age requirement for hotels in Europe
- 4 Help with itinerary
- 5 Where to start Chiantigiana drive from Montepulciano?
- 6 Bellagio Accomodations in October
- 7 3 nights in Paris
- 8 1 day trip from Nice
- 9 Trip report (Lisbon, Doura valley, Marvao, Evora, Algarve)
- 10 Stores that sell Knorr products in Munich?
- 11 Greenland from the Air trip report, photo gallery
- 12 Planning Advice!
- 13 To Varenna from Milan Malpensa: By car or by train?
- 14 Paris Looses $846 Million in Tourism
- 15 Day Trip to Santa Margarhertia Ligure, Portofino, and Camogli
- 16 Northern Italy in mid-October
- 17 How to spend a glorious week in Switzerland?
- 18 Wine Harvest in Italy 2016 - when?
- 19 England and Wales by public transport
- 20 Our European adventures
- 21 Walking Scotland
- 22 Naples or Genoa
- 23 Cotswald boutique hotel recommendations
- 24 2 Nights in Bath, 1 Night in Ludlow - Itinerary Details
- 25 Were to stay near Lecce?