I am starting to think about a fun family trip for myself, my husband, my parents and my sister for my sister's 30th birthday trip next year (thinking early September 2012). We are going to book with miles, so we will need to figure out our general plan in the next few months.
We will have ~10 days and are thinking about starting in Sicily (no clue where yet), spending 4-5 days there, taking 2-3 days to drive up the western coast of Italy, spend 1 day in Pompeii and get rid of our car in Naples. From there, my husband and I will go to Rome for 2 days before we go back to Chicago and my family will go to Capri, on to Bari, then to Greece (or somewhere else...haven't gotten that far yet!).
All of us are active (hiking, camping, running...though mom and sister are on the lower end of the active scale), enjoy eating (the family is vegetarian and LOVES Italian food - esp pizza / pasta), and enjoy learning about other cultures. Would appreciate your must dos and any advice on driving from Sicily to Napoli.
I was wondering if you had any recommendations for an amazing 10 day trip. Any favorite places to visit (and stay)? We will likely rent a little apartment in Sicily and use that as a base to get around. We will try to stay in little B&Bs for the rest of the trip. I truly appreciate your suggestions! Thanks in advance for your help.
Sicily and Amalfi Trip Help
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Swiss lakes with elderly relatives
- 2 Garmisch Partenkirchen Christmas packing list
- 3 Europe (London/Berlin/Venice) Last MinutepPractical/Ordinary
- 4 Have you recently visited Copenhagen?
- 5 First timers travelling through Italy, Switzerland and France in Feb/March
- 6 Oct. 2014 in Croatia, Slovenia, Montenagro and Bosnia-Herzegovina: TR
- 7 Paris Perfect: Which Apt for Honeymoon?
- 8 First cut at Andalusia itinerary 15 nights
- 9 Rome Areas to stay
- 10 Paris French Language School - Help me decide:
- 11 Pleasant Perches from which to Ponder Paris?
- 12 A nine day whirl through Istanbul and Cappadocia
- 13 Sicily in May 2015 Itinerary Question
- 14 Versailles-How Long to Plan for a Visit to Trianons
- 15 Suggestions for Munich in early December
- 16 Rome, Naples, Florence, Venice with 4 teenagers, 1 kid, 19 days perfect!
- 17 December vacation help, 2 weeks - southern Italy or Spain or other?
- 18 Careful now in train stations even after security
- 19 Amsterdam + Alps + Tuscany in 2 weeks
- 20 St Germain
- 21 When to go to Sicily
- 22 Wengen to Torino?
- 23 Suggestions for places to stay on Madeira, but not Funchal? And driving?
- 24 Lakes District UK
- 25 Vicenza and Padua (Palladian villas) without a car