I'm looking advice for locations in Sicily. It's important to note that I've visited Italy 5 times in my life, and lived in the North for a year. So I'm totally comfortable navigating small towns and speaking enough Italian. That said, I've never travelled south of Rome (I know, I know I'm missing out) and am returning in October.
My trip will consist of visiting Puglia and Amalfi coast (before finishing in Rome), but I want to START with 3-4 days in Sicily (and then fly over to Bari when I'm done).
Where do I base myself in Sicily? Right now, I'm leaning on Taormina, but feel that it may be a bit too touristy. I'm looking for the equivelant of what Montepulciano or Montalcino is to Tuscany - the smaller area that is "off the beaten path" but still beautiful and populus enough. I've considered basing myself in Palermo or Catania, and just doing day-trips from there? I'd also like to be somewhere that I can easily day-trip from, and/or somewhere where I can hike. Is there a cinque-terre of the south??
People have mentioned the Aeolian islands but I feel like that may be tough to do only in 2-3 days, especially as a base? Or is island hopping easy once on one island?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 2 Which city am i likely to see more skin in? Athens/Prague or Vienna
- 3 dinner jackets
- 4 Should we get a Swiss Travel Pass?
- 5 Santa Margherta Ligure, Rapallo, Portofino....
- 6 2 weeks Europe trip
- 7 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 8 Piedmont as a destination
- 9 From Genoa to Camgoli by Train
- 10 Booked intercity Flight, Confirmation misplaced
- 11 Trip report (long): Greek Macedonia, some insights into London's airports and the discovery of perhaps the worst airline in the developed world.
- 12 Security -- day pack at museums +
- 13 Souvenirs to collect while backpacking?
- 14 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 15 Cordoba Overnight?
- 16 SPB White Nights boat tours
- 17 Need Help with German Train Schedule
- 18 Dubrovnik + island or Kotor?
- 19 LUCKY TO BE ALIVE !!!
- 20 Kroller-Muller - Paleis Het Loo - Maurithuis
- 21 Planning trip to Barcelona. Madrid and Tossa Del Mar
- 22 Italy Switzerland Croata Itinerary Help
- 23 Weekend in Galicia -- Sil River Gorge
- 24 Gubbio, Gubbio, wherefore art thou, O Gubbio?
- 25 Suggestions for Switzerland-Italy Trip??