I'm looking advice for locations in Sicily. It's important to note that I've visited Italy 5 times in my life, and lived in the North for a year. So I'm totally comfortable navigating small towns and speaking enough Italian. That said, I've never travelled south of Rome (I know, I know I'm missing out) and am returning in October.
My trip will consist of visiting Puglia and Amalfi coast (before finishing in Rome), but I want to START with 3-4 days in Sicily (and then fly over to Bari when I'm done).
Where do I base myself in Sicily? Right now, I'm leaning on Taormina, but feel that it may be a bit too touristy. I'm looking for the equivelant of what Montepulciano or Montalcino is to Tuscany - the smaller area that is "off the beaten path" but still beautiful and populus enough. I've considered basing myself in Palermo or Catania, and just doing day-trips from there? I'd also like to be somewhere that I can easily day-trip from, and/or somewhere where I can hike. Is there a cinque-terre of the south??
People have mentioned the Aeolian islands but I feel like that may be tough to do only in 2-3 days, especially as a base? Or is island hopping easy once on one island?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 2 Advice for 5 Weeks in the Nordic Countries
- 3 Lyon and Paris (and Provence vs Dijon?)
- 4 Super Cover For Hertz
- 5 Switzerland 8 day itinerary in May
- 6 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 7 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 8 4 days itinerary for France
- 9 Stonehenge more accessible with group?
- 10 Spain-Portugal family trip. car or train ?
- 11 Is it worth it to drive into Positano...& Amalfi Coast by land or sea?
- 12 When to Visit Scotland
- 13 Where to buy Saffron?
- 14 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 15 Portugal and Spain itinerary help!
- 16 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 17 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 18 House Hunting in France
- 19 Itinerary Tweaking
- 20 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 21 Dolomites to Switzerland or Austria? Can't decide!
- 22 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 23 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 24 Driving in Italy?
- 25 Tripcho Travel Guided Tours