I'm looking advice for locations in Sicily. It's important to note that I've visited Italy 5 times in my life, and lived in the North for a year. So I'm totally comfortable navigating small towns and speaking enough Italian. That said, I've never travelled south of Rome (I know, I know I'm missing out) and am returning in October.
My trip will consist of visiting Puglia and Amalfi coast (before finishing in Rome), but I want to START with 3-4 days in Sicily (and then fly over to Bari when I'm done).
Where do I base myself in Sicily? Right now, I'm leaning on Taormina, but feel that it may be a bit too touristy. I'm looking for the equivelant of what Montepulciano or Montalcino is to Tuscany - the smaller area that is "off the beaten path" but still beautiful and populus enough. I've considered basing myself in Palermo or Catania, and just doing day-trips from there? I'd also like to be somewhere that I can easily day-trip from, and/or somewhere where I can hike. Is there a cinque-terre of the south??
People have mentioned the Aeolian islands but I feel like that may be tough to do only in 2-3 days, especially as a base? Or is island hopping easy once on one island?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Is your system showing continuous error messages from the antivirus?
- 2 Comments on locations/sestieri, please
- 3 Semana Santa Other than Sevilla
- 4 Italy and Croatia in 20 days - I need a rough itinerary please
- 5 who is in amsterdam?
- 6 3 weeks in Central/Eastern Europe
- 7 3 nights Santorini suggestions with a child- is akrotiri a good location?
- 8 Trump alleged to be "keen" for US to join Commonwealth
- 9 Day Planning Help Required ..
- 10 Looking for suggestions car trip starting Amsterdam to nice
- 11 GERMANY, MID-RHINE & MUNICH
- 12 Italy/Croatia Potential Itinerary Advice?
- 13 'Brellies on "Standby." Dublin!
- 14 Path of the Gods / Amalfi coast
- 15 Help / Day Planning Required ...
- 16 New York Kennedy to Rome Fiumicino Airport Terminals Clarification
- 17 Southern Croatia and side trips itinerary recommendations
- 18 Restaurant recommendations for lunch in Rouen?
- 19 Paris Skip the Lines deals ...
- 20 Connecting flight time in Europe
- 21 Travel by car from Venice to Croatia
- 22 Proposed itinerary for Iceland
- 23 Dordogne Itinerary - Do I Need Another Day?
- 24 Prague - ATMs and Cash
- 25 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy