I'm looking advice for locations in Sicily. It's important to note that I've visited Italy 5 times in my life, and lived in the North for a year. So I'm totally comfortable navigating small towns and speaking enough Italian. That said, I've never travelled south of Rome (I know, I know I'm missing out) and am returning in October.
My trip will consist of visiting Puglia and Amalfi coast (before finishing in Rome), but I want to START with 3-4 days in Sicily (and then fly over to Bari when I'm done).
Where do I base myself in Sicily? Right now, I'm leaning on Taormina, but feel that it may be a bit too touristy. I'm looking for the equivelant of what Montepulciano or Montalcino is to Tuscany - the smaller area that is "off the beaten path" but still beautiful and populus enough. I've considered basing myself in Palermo or Catania, and just doing day-trips from there? I'd also like to be somewhere that I can easily day-trip from, and/or somewhere where I can hike. Is there a cinque-terre of the south??
People have mentioned the Aeolian islands but I feel like that may be tough to do only in 2-3 days, especially as a base? Or is island hopping easy once on one island?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 알라딘시스템 ※연결 : pwn22.com●가입코드:ctx20▶kakao:ctx2012
- 2 Trogir or Split
- 3 Iphone 6 usage in multiple European Countries
- 4 Day tour from Edinburgh - Hairy Coo v/s Rabies?
- 5 Suppose to leave on the 24th, still no visa
- 6 Scotland
- 7 Hotels in Turin
- 8 Berlin to ?
- 9 Swiss Pass vs Half Fare Card??
- 10 Greek Mainland Itinerary
- 11 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 12 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 13 Late November with a 7-month-old - Portugal?
- 14 Paris Perfect Legal?
- 15 Any suggested guide or tour companies for the Acropolis?
- 16 Istria in two days
- 17 Barcelona and Paris trip report
- 18 Looking for advice about flight from Barcelona to Paris
- 19 Drive from Montepulciano to Cinque Terre
- 20 From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights
- 21 Scotland itinerary help
- 22 Rental Car pick up in Cortana
- 23 8 days in st Remy - surprise trip for hubby
- 24 Transportation from Westport via Athlone to Belturbet or Ballinamore area
- 25 What Can We Do to Help A Refugee Family in France?