I'm looking advice for locations in Sicily. It's important to note that I've visited Italy 5 times in my life, and lived in the North for a year. So I'm totally comfortable navigating small towns and speaking enough Italian. That said, I've never travelled south of Rome (I know, I know I'm missing out) and am returning in October.
My trip will consist of visiting Puglia and Amalfi coast (before finishing in Rome), but I want to START with 3-4 days in Sicily (and then fly over to Bari when I'm done).
Where do I base myself in Sicily? Right now, I'm leaning on Taormina, but feel that it may be a bit too touristy. I'm looking for the equivelant of what Montepulciano or Montalcino is to Tuscany - the smaller area that is "off the beaten path" but still beautiful and populus enough. I've considered basing myself in Palermo or Catania, and just doing day-trips from there? I'd also like to be somewhere that I can easily day-trip from, and/or somewhere where I can hike. Is there a cinque-terre of the south??
People have mentioned the Aeolian islands but I feel like that may be tough to do only in 2-3 days, especially as a base? Or is island hopping easy once on one island?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 2 days in Amsterdam after river cruise
- 2 Accommodations Amsterdam under 175€
- 3 2 Days in Tarragona...what to do ?
- 4 Sisi Ticket - skip line at Hofburg?
- 5 Postcards from Retirement - the Britan 2017 Edition
- 6 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 7 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 8 Italica (Sevilla) or Medina al-Zahra (Cordoba)
- 9 Notes on St. Petersburg
- 10 Pienza vs. San Gimignano for 4 nights?
- 11 Appenzell in December?
- 12 10 Day Backpacking Itinerary
- 13 Switzerland for 2 weeks
- 14 Trip report: Derby, Whitby & the Scottish Borders (indy_dad's UK return)
- 15 Iceland in January/February
- 16 Getting to Naxos and Santorini
- 17 Advice for Time in Cumbria and/or Yorkshire Dales
- 18 Switzerland
- 19 Provence to Paris via Burgundy
- 20 WWI Battlefields
- 21 Single Parent with Tweens London/Paris
- 22 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 23 Visiting Zurich
- 24 Haarlem or Amsterdam as Netherlands base?
- 25 Our short trip to Austria, the Dolomites and Bavaria