We are staying in Sant'Agnello (outside Sorrento) as a base in mid August and plan a trip to Pompeii on one of the days.
I know it's approx half an hour on train from Sant'Agnello so I intended on getting there ourselves and downloading some guides beforehand to listen to as we go around, however I am now wondering should we hire a guide? If so how much would it be? Can I arrange to just meet one at the site (I don't want to be arranging and paying fro pick-up from hotel when the train is handy and cheap) I have read some people on here saying they regret not getting a guide?
Also are we best to go very early before it gets very hot or would late afternoon be better?
Is Vesuvius a must? Did many of you do it on the same day?
Should we hire a guide for Pompeii?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 2 Scuol, Switzerland
- 3 All Set To Go!!
- 4 Istanbul Bosphorus Tour
- 5 8 Days in Switzerland for the non skier
- 6 For those interested in visiting WW I sites in France
- 7 Two Weeks in France, reposting TR
- 8 Best Area to Stay in Amsterdam
- 9 Taormina Sicily
- 10 Guidebook for Iceland
- 11 visa question
- 12 caroline_venezia
- 13 A Sardinia trip report
- 14 Granada
- 15 Tripadvisor fined in Italy over fake reviews
- 16 VAT refund Q--new carryon bag ??
- 17 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 18 First time to Switzerland
- 19 Side trip from Chamonix in January
- 20 Greece and Italy in 20 days
- 21 Romantic Greece and Exciting Turkey : 2011 Trip Report
- 22 Family vacay for 6 weeks with 2 Toddlers
- 23 Rome bus tours-which one?
- 24 First time Ireland trip
- 25 Spain/EU trip in february "History,Nature is our main goal"