We are staying in Sant'Agnello (outside Sorrento) as a base in mid August and plan a trip to Pompeii on one of the days.
I know it's approx half an hour on train from Sant'Agnello so I intended on getting there ourselves and downloading some guides beforehand to listen to as we go around, however I am now wondering should we hire a guide? If so how much would it be? Can I arrange to just meet one at the site (I don't want to be arranging and paying fro pick-up from hotel when the train is handy and cheap) I have read some people on here saying they regret not getting a guide?
Also are we best to go very early before it gets very hot or would late afternoon be better?
Is Vesuvius a must? Did many of you do it on the same day?
Should we hire a guide for Pompeii?
- 1 Europe with young teens
- 2 New to Fodors: Please help with beginning stages of husband/wife trip
- 3 Looking for Feedback on Belgium/Holland Itinerary
- 4 Spain itinerary complete - suggestions for inexpensive lodging?
- 5 Sicily 10 days
- 6 Salamanca, Barcelona, o Valencia?
- 7 20 day Backpacking Trip
- 8 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 9 Restaurant reservations Rome, Tuscany, Venice
- 10 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 11 Cycling and wine-tasting through Italy, Slovenia and Croatia
- 12 Wake up...all fodor posters who are so helpful...
- 13 Where to stay in Copenhagen
- 14 Planning 4 nights S / SE of London for my parents in their late 60s
- 15 How to get from airport to Venice city
- 16 Belgium/Holland OR Paris/Strasbourg/Lucern
- 17 Advises for trip to Russia
- 18 First timer! Trip to London over New Year's next year!
- 19 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris
- 20 Frankfurt to Bamberg day trip - train ticket question
- 21 First time traveler to Ireland
- 22 Scotland this summer - some initial planning questions
- 23 Belgium/Holland or Germany: Please help!
- 24 Euro Train
- 25 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich