We are staying in Sant'Agnello (outside Sorrento) as a base in mid August and plan a trip to Pompeii on one of the days.
I know it's approx half an hour on train from Sant'Agnello so I intended on getting there ourselves and downloading some guides beforehand to listen to as we go around, however I am now wondering should we hire a guide? If so how much would it be? Can I arrange to just meet one at the site (I don't want to be arranging and paying fro pick-up from hotel when the train is handy and cheap) I have read some people on here saying they regret not getting a guide?
Also are we best to go very early before it gets very hot or would late afternoon be better?
Is Vesuvius a must? Did many of you do it on the same day?
Should we hire a guide for Pompeii?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 17 days in Spain, best itinerary?
- 2 What do you think of this itinerary?
- 3 Train tickets France and Spain
- 4 buying souviners and art
- 5 10-12 nights in Switzerland and France
- 6 Getting to London Gatwick or London Luton Airports from Heathrow?
- 7 Greece with 10yr old who wants to re-live Greek mythology
- 8 Travel services for Spain
- 9 4 week itinerary for German - France - Italy ...too much?
- 10 Trip Report: My Encounter With the Italian Hospital System
- 11 Luxury romantic hotel to stay in Sardinia?
- 12 Lyon, Beaune, or Dijon as stopover from Antibes to Colmar?
- 13 Baden Wurttembeg for 2 weeks or 1 week?
- 14 Where to stay in Nice? Family of 4.
- 15 New Chip and Pin Card from American Airlines
- 16 Napoli logistics
- 17 Barcellona hop on hop off bus tour
- 18 Greece ferries/speed boats?
- 19 Italy food budget
- 20 Tax refund in France
- 21 Piazza Navona hotel in Rome help
- 22 Positano in high season???
- 23 How Well-Traveled Are You?
- 24 Is Greece cheaper to visit then Italy and France??
- 25 SICILY:The Second Time Around in 22Days for 55th Anniversary !!!