We are staying in Sant'Agnello (outside Sorrento) as a base in mid August and plan a trip to Pompeii on one of the days.
I know it's approx half an hour on train from Sant'Agnello so I intended on getting there ourselves and downloading some guides beforehand to listen to as we go around, however I am now wondering should we hire a guide? If so how much would it be? Can I arrange to just meet one at the site (I don't want to be arranging and paying fro pick-up from hotel when the train is handy and cheap) I have read some people on here saying they regret not getting a guide?
Also are we best to go very early before it gets very hot or would late afternoon be better?
Is Vesuvius a must? Did many of you do it on the same day?
Should we hire a guide for Pompeii?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 One week SW England for a group with diverse interests
- 2 Rotterdam - Amsterdam Parking
- 3 Paris with kids - a whirlwind even with 9 days!
- 4 Transport advise- Rome - Florence - Berlin - Copenhagen
- 5 Amsterdam vs Prague
- 6 I'm in a funk
- 7 Shuttle Bus in Madrid
- 8 Italy Trip: Another Scrap With Friction
- 9 Where to spend 4-5 days in Moselle valley
- 10 Mama Mia Italy!
- 11 Sunday Times Travel Magazine: Beach Hotels
- 12 Vespa Tours in Rome
- 13 Europe road trip with kids - thoughts please!
- 14 Bike touring in France
- 15 Valencia and Baleric Islands Itinerary suggestions for May travel
- 16 Spain Trip Ideas -Critique Welcome
- 17 Germany Visa for conference
- 18 Oktoberfest vs Amsterdam
- 19 Speeding ticket in Germany: how do I handle this?
- 20 Recs for Dublin B&B?
- 21 travel to western Europe from India
- 22 I went to Paris in June
- 23 Good Flamenco in Seville
- 24 Honeymoon in Greece - Athens, Mykonos, Santorini
- 25 First trip we lost a car, this trip we lose a lady