I am planning a trip for my family (me, my husband, and our 9-year-old twins) to Italy and France for 3 weeks next summer (June 2016). See prior posts for itinerary. We want to fly into Venice and out of Nice. I figured we would have to pay between $1,600 and $1,100 per ticket if I did my homework. I've started checking fares, and have some United miles to use.
I just found an acceptable itinerary on the United website that would enable me to book two tickets using miles, and pay for two more. Total, this would cost me $3,786. That is comprised of a service charge, but is mostly to pay for the two extra tickets. Although that is a lot for the two individual tickets, it only works out to $946 per person. This seems like a really good deal to me, but I am wondering if there is any reason I should NOT do this.
I don't use my miles for anything else, and have no other airplane trips planned for the near future. So, I would like to use the miles I have for this trip, especially if it saves me money.
Is there a disadvantage to booking so far ahead? For example, if they change the flight times? Will it be hard to deal with that when two of our tickets were purchased with miles, and two with cash?
Thank you for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 how to get to Salzburg from Krakow
- 2 Trip report: Portugal, Barcelona and Switzerland
- 3 Lille Braderie 2017
- 4 Europe First Timers
- 5 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 6 Rome or Venice first
- 7 Selecting the right Travel Pass (or not at all)
- 8 Villa Honegg: an insider's tip for the Central Switzerland
- 9 La Coruna or Santiago or both?
- 10 What to do? Free evenings in Prague and Vienna
- 11 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 12 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 13 Shannon Airport - Mobile Data Card
- 14 Rest in Peace, Colonel Chilcott
- 15 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 16 Scotland - drive around or form bases ?
- 17 4 weeks entailing 1 wk Greece and 3 wks in Italy
- 18 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 19 Athens Help
- 20 Can you tell me about using "The Fork" for reserving and savings?
- 21 Paris GTG October 6 - 14?
- 22 Trip report for Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich
- 23 Help with Greek islands itinerary-which islands to pick!
- 24 Are les plats ("Belon") oysters in Paris yet?
- 25 Cruising (not sailing) in Croatia..worried about noise