I am planning a trip for my family (me, my husband, and our 9-year-old twins) to Italy and France for 3 weeks next summer (June 2016). See prior posts for itinerary. We want to fly into Venice and out of Nice. I figured we would have to pay between $1,600 and $1,100 per ticket if I did my homework. I've started checking fares, and have some United miles to use.
I just found an acceptable itinerary on the United website that would enable me to book two tickets using miles, and pay for two more. Total, this would cost me $3,786. That is comprised of a service charge, but is mostly to pay for the two extra tickets. Although that is a lot for the two individual tickets, it only works out to $946 per person. This seems like a really good deal to me, but I am wondering if there is any reason I should NOT do this.
I don't use my miles for anything else, and have no other airplane trips planned for the near future. So, I would like to use the miles I have for this trip, especially if it saves me money.
Is there a disadvantage to booking so far ahead? For example, if they change the flight times? Will it be hard to deal with that when two of our tickets were purchased with miles, and two with cash?
Thank you for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Bremerhaven and environs
- 2 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 3 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 4 Trip Report Part 2 - Paris, France May 2016
- 5 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 6 great hotel and food in Lyon
- 7 Spain in July
- 8 Island Hopping in the Cyclades
- 9 Van Gogh Museum advice
- 10 Ireland in April-Day trips from Galway base
- 11 Help!! 2 week Europe trip with 6 year old daughter in December!!
- 12 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 13 Overnight trip from Barcelona
- 14 5 Days in Switzerland
- 15 Bernese Oberland + Luzern 4 days
- 16 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
- 17 Northern Italy with 2 kids itinerary help
- 18 International Flight Question
- 19 Honeymoon on a Budget
- 20 I need help deciding ASAP!
- 21 Dresden: How Many Nights?
- 22 We're here!
- 23 Choosing a hotel - Campo de' Fiori or Piazza Venezia?
- 24 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 25 New Law Regarding Vacation Rentals in Paris