I am planning a trip for my family (me, my husband, and our 9-year-old twins) to Italy and France for 3 weeks next summer (June 2016). See prior posts for itinerary. We want to fly into Venice and out of Nice. I figured we would have to pay between $1,600 and $1,100 per ticket if I did my homework. I've started checking fares, and have some United miles to use.
I just found an acceptable itinerary on the United website that would enable me to book two tickets using miles, and pay for two more. Total, this would cost me $3,786. That is comprised of a service charge, but is mostly to pay for the two extra tickets. Although that is a lot for the two individual tickets, it only works out to $946 per person. This seems like a really good deal to me, but I am wondering if there is any reason I should NOT do this.
I don't use my miles for anything else, and have no other airplane trips planned for the near future. So, I would like to use the miles I have for this trip, especially if it saves me money.
Is there a disadvantage to booking so far ahead? For example, if they change the flight times? Will it be hard to deal with that when two of our tickets were purchased with miles, and two with cash?
Thank you for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Day trips from milano and torino december 2017
- 2 Andalucia Spain
- 3 Coastal daytrip from Dartmoor Park
- 4 What's it like staying in a big agriturismo-like complex?
- 5 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
- 6 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?
- 7 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 8 Anyone have a pocket wifi for international travel?
- 9 Bastille Day Fireworks, Paris
- 10 8 days in Ireland -- where to go??!!
- 11 Barcelona - places to stay
- 12 What's the hotel policy regarding bringing in guests to your room?
- 13 My delightful sampling of Switzerland’s gems, with many thanks
- 14 2 days in Amsterdam after river cruise
- 15 Bus Nice Airport to Frejus
- 16 Christmas Markets 2017
- 17 Language to use in Belgium
- 18 Private Ephesus Tour Companies
- 19 Istanbul at Easter
- 20 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 21 Palermo Apartment
- 22 Please help 21 day driving tour Wales & Southern England Sept 2017
- 23 SURPRISE TRIP
- 24 Swiss Trains not on time and boats not run at all - great time
- 25 Fueled by gluten, caffeine, and alcohol - two weeks in France