Rome: Hotel Romano, opposite entrance to Forum. Clean, air conditioning and ceiling fan. Taverna dei Fori Imperiali, Via Madonna dei Monti 16 - family place. There is now an entrance fee to the Forum. No line at the Vatican Museums at 12:15 p.m. Thursday.
Pompeii: EnjoyRome shuttle. No cameo factory stops. Right amount of time at the site: 10:30 to 3:15.
Florence: B & B Peterson, 5 room guesthouse, friendly and clean, no breakfast. Ristorante Al Vecchio Carlino on Vialle Fratelli Rosselli - local favorite.
Castelfiorentino: Hotel Boscarecce (east of town, off the beaten path) Incredibly romantic and relaxing. Wonderful hostess, excellent restaurant. Call Susanna for directions. Within 1 to 1 1/2 hour of Florence, Lucca, Volterra, San Gimignano
Reservations thru Venere.com (great service), with recommendations from Ira and ParadiseLost!
Good surprises: cold water from Rome fountains. Easy to purchase train tickets at station kiosks.
Not so good surprise: Holiday Inn Rome-EUR Parco dei Medici. No food at hotel in afternoon. One mediocre restaurant across the street.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Heat wave in Paris? Learn to live with it!
- 2 Earthquake info for Perugia and Assisi
- 3 italy Cinque Terre and Lake Como
- 4 Trip Report: Bulgaria, Danube River cruise, and more, May 2016
- 5 Orleans to Amboise on a Sunday
- 6 Late October European trek/hike location suggestions
- 7 Iceland Trip Report - Very Long!
- 8 How to spend a glorious week in Switzerland?
- 9 Where to start Chiantigiana drive from Montepulciano?
- 10 20 free days of Europe
- 11 Venice to Rome via Pisa in 1 day
- 12 CDG international flight
- 13 *Need help w/Puglia itinerary*
- 14 12 days europe
- 15 4 nights between Zeebrugge and Strasbourg
- 16 Budapest on a budget
- 17 Seville in late January
- 18 Train reservatiions needed in Switzerland in October?
- 19 Help! American needs to get into Italy after staying >90 days
- 20 Help family trip Sardinia with 2years old
- 21 3 days to spend in europe
- 22 Getting to CDG Airport from Le Marais
- 23 RFID Protection
- 24 Beaches in Southern France
- 25 Train Ticket with Swiss Pass or individual ticket?