Rome: Hotel Romano, opposite entrance to Forum. Clean, air conditioning and ceiling fan. Taverna dei Fori Imperiali, Via Madonna dei Monti 16 - family place. There is now an entrance fee to the Forum. No line at the Vatican Museums at 12:15 p.m. Thursday.
Pompeii: EnjoyRome shuttle. No cameo factory stops. Right amount of time at the site: 10:30 to 3:15.
Florence: B & B Peterson, 5 room guesthouse, friendly and clean, no breakfast. Ristorante Al Vecchio Carlino on Vialle Fratelli Rosselli - local favorite.
Castelfiorentino: Hotel Boscarecce (east of town, off the beaten path) Incredibly romantic and relaxing. Wonderful hostess, excellent restaurant. Call Susanna for directions. Within 1 to 1 1/2 hour of Florence, Lucca, Volterra, San Gimignano
Reservations thru Venere.com (great service), with recommendations from Ira and ParadiseLost!
Good surprises: cold water from Rome fountains. Easy to purchase train tickets at station kiosks.
Not so good surprise: Holiday Inn Rome-EUR Parco dei Medici. No food at hotel in afternoon. One mediocre restaurant across the street.
Short trip report - Rome, Florence, Castelfiorentino
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 From Paris to Bruselas-Amsterdam-London
- 2 Best Area to Stay in Amsterdam
- 3 Granada
- 4 Azores
- 5 Rome bus tours-which one?
- 6 All Set To Go!!
- 7 Hotels in Toulouse & Montpellier
- 8 A month in Europe - how does this sound?
- 9 Paris for a Week – Looking for a Day Trip Outside the City
- 10 Tripadvisor fined in Italy over fake reviews
- 11 A Sardinia trip report
- 12 4 weeks in the UK
- 13 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 14 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 15 Our Brief Bavarian Break: Christmas Markets
- 16 Spain/EU trip in february "History,Nature is our main goal"
- 17 Caserta, Italy? Anyone Been There?
- 18 Have ten days to visit Munich, Salzburg and Switzerland
- 19 First time to Switzerland
- 20 Favorite London spot for roast beef and Yorkshire pudding?
- 21 Early stages of planning for Euro trip + would love suggestions
- 22 Dublin, love it or hate it? please tell me why
- 23 Eastern Europe
- 24 Trip Report: 17 days in Switzerland, Austria & Czech Republic
- 25 10 Days in Emilia-Romagna : Thinking of 3 Days Bologna and Then??