Rome: Hotel Romano, opposite entrance to Forum. Clean, air conditioning and ceiling fan. Taverna dei Fori Imperiali, Via Madonna dei Monti 16 - family place. There is now an entrance fee to the Forum. No line at the Vatican Museums at 12:15 p.m. Thursday.
Pompeii: EnjoyRome shuttle. No cameo factory stops. Right amount of time at the site: 10:30 to 3:15.
Florence: B & B Peterson, 5 room guesthouse, friendly and clean, no breakfast. Ristorante Al Vecchio Carlino on Vialle Fratelli Rosselli - local favorite.
Castelfiorentino: Hotel Boscarecce (east of town, off the beaten path) Incredibly romantic and relaxing. Wonderful hostess, excellent restaurant. Call Susanna for directions. Within 1 to 1 1/2 hour of Florence, Lucca, Volterra, San Gimignano
Reservations thru Venere.com (great service), with recommendations from Ira and ParadiseLost!
Good surprises: cold water from Rome fountains. Easy to purchase train tickets at station kiosks.
Not so good surprise: Holiday Inn Rome-EUR Parco dei Medici. No food at hotel in afternoon. One mediocre restaurant across the street.
Short trip report - Rome, Florence, Castelfiorentino
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Greece after the Vote
- 2 Should I buy Euro's now?
- 3 One Week in Amsterdam with Children
- 4 Visiting Bastogne and nearby - should I stay there or Liege or elsewhere?
- 5 A Week in Spain
- 6 Food safety in Istanbul.
- 7 Gastehaus Alpenkranz
- 8 Now for the Venice hotel
- 9 Germany - Poland - Italy itinerary help requested
- 10 Recharging an Old Lebara SIM?
- 11 Quiet beach town in Italy?
- 12 6-Week Europe Itinerary - Thoughts and Suggestions?
- 13 Initial itinerary – Northern Spain and Catalunya
- 14 week in scotland
- 15 Madrid hotel near Atocha Station
- 16 Plane or Train Lisbon to Porto?
- 17 Innsbruck and surroundings
- 18 Where to stay near Loire castles?
- 19 Need advice for Madrid/ Castilla Leon / Basque / Aveiro
- 20 Rocamaxour
- 21 Travelling by train across Central and Eastern Europe
- 22 Practicing Spanish while in Spain - any ideas?
- 23 Travel with kids (6 & 8 yrs) to Germany/Switzerland/Liechtenstein
- 24 Umbria - planning for 3 or 4 days in April
- 25 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip