Rome: Hotel Romano, opposite entrance to Forum. Clean, air conditioning and ceiling fan. Taverna dei Fori Imperiali, Via Madonna dei Monti 16 - family place. There is now an entrance fee to the Forum. No line at the Vatican Museums at 12:15 p.m. Thursday.
Pompeii: EnjoyRome shuttle. No cameo factory stops. Right amount of time at the site: 10:30 to 3:15.
Florence: B & B Peterson, 5 room guesthouse, friendly and clean, no breakfast. Ristorante Al Vecchio Carlino on Vialle Fratelli Rosselli - local favorite.
Castelfiorentino: Hotel Boscarecce (east of town, off the beaten path) Incredibly romantic and relaxing. Wonderful hostess, excellent restaurant. Call Susanna for directions. Within 1 to 1 1/2 hour of Florence, Lucca, Volterra, San Gimignano
Reservations thru Venere.com (great service), with recommendations from Ira and ParadiseLost!
Good surprises: cold water from Rome fountains. Easy to purchase train tickets at station kiosks.
Not so good surprise: Holiday Inn Rome-EUR Parco dei Medici. No food at hotel in afternoon. One mediocre restaurant across the street.
Short trip report - Rome, Florence, Castelfiorentino
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Reykjavik hotels
- 2 Can you help me with an Oyster Card?
- 3 1,000,001 Steps: Ups and Downs in Greece for 3 Weeks
- 4 For Those of You Who Scoff At Train Travel
- 5 Paul Durand-Ruel -The Gamble of the Impressionists - Manet, Monet, Renoir
- 6 need help with a european/UK winter travel itinerary (3 weeks)
- 7 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 8 Croatia, Slovenia, Salzburg and Prague 3 week Trip Report
- 9 Mittenwald (or general vicinity)
- 10 Top 10 Don't Miss -- ROI and NI
- 11 Roaming Romania, Take Two
- 12 Barcelona attraction tickets
- 13 Madrid & Andalucía: 26 Years Later
- 14 Norway 2014
- 15 Portugal Trip Report 2014
- 16 Adventures in Italy with Momma
- 17 6+ weeks in Portugal and Spain - itinerary suggestions pls
- 18 Taking a group to Istanbul: need advice
- 19 I dream of Europe
- 20 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 21 Parma- Uh, Oops- Historic Dist. Ticket
- 22 First Time to UK since 2001
- 23 Loire Valley - Private Driver/Guide
- 24 Solo 55 year old female in Istanbul for 3.5 days mid-December
- 25 Backpacking Europe in the Winter