I'm planning a 7-week trip through Italy and Spain in Sept-Oct this year. While 7 weeks *sounds* like a long time, it turns out that it isn't - because I can't fit everything in.
As a little background, the only parts of Italy I've had a decent look at previously are Rome, Florence and (to a lesser extent) Venice. Everywhere else is basically greenfields. I'd like to see lots and lots but I'm conscious of not spending one night here, one night there etc. I'll mostly be catching trains to get around and am starting to consider the idea of breaking train trips up for a few hours by stopping en-route. On the one hand, it will at least give me a glimpse of some cities that I'd otherwise have to bypass. On the other hand, I'm sure it will be very frustrating to have to leave these places after a couple of hours and am also conscious I'll have to be clock-watching a lot of the time.
The towns I'm thinking of treating this way include Bologna, Verona and Padua. But this is more of an in-principle question than one related to a particular city. What are your thoughts - a 2-hour sampler is better than nothing? Or worse?
I should add that staying overnight in any of these towns is not currently an option. I couldn't bear the thought of giving up a night anywhere else!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 UNITED@: NORTON Tec*h SUPP0RT CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 NORTON SECURITY 24*7
- 2 Where Would You? (1 random night in Dec btwn Bologna and Montepulciano)
- 3 Transportation from Westport via Athlone to Belturbet or Ballinamore area
- 4 From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights
- 5 Watching A Musical At The West End In London
- 6 Croatia itinerary - need advice
- 7 Train transfer questions and safety - France/NL/Belgium/UK
- 8 Lunch in Lake Garda
- 9 Paris Perfect Legal?
- 10 Scotland itinerary help
- 11 two days to travel from bolzano to assisi
- 12 Looking for an apartment to rent. Better than hotel?
- 13 8 days in st Remy - surprise trip for hubby
- 14 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 15 Edinbrugh
- 16 Bus from Potsdam to Dresden
- 17 Swimming to Paris
- 18 15 days in Croatia - Advise Needed
- 19 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 20 Istria in two days
- 21 Day tour from Edinburgh - Hairy Coo v/s Rabies?
- 22 Connecting rooms for 2 families in Amsterdam?
- 23 Warning about visa subcontractor VFS Global in Chicago
- 24 Hiking in Switzerland
- 25 Need advice on the place to visit in Prague