My husband has a conference in Athens, and my two kids and I are going to tag along. We would like to make a short trip out of it and need help conceptualizing the itinerary. Our girls are 10 and 7, and we'd be flying from NYC. We would be going in mid-May. Our interests are archeological sites and ruins, ancient cities, and natural beauty.
We could either:
1) Stay in Athens for three days. Explore the Acropolis and other ancient sites. Maybe do a day trip to Sounion or to another site or two.
2) Spend a day in Athens and then head out to one of the islands by ferry and spend a few days there.
Should we explore Athens or venture out to the islands? If so, which one would be suitable for a family with kids, not too far from Athens because of our limited time frame? We could possibly stretch this vacation out to five days, tops. And yes, I know it would be better to spend two weeks in Greece. But for this trip, five days or so is all we have.
Thanks in advance for your guidance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Croatia and Montenegro Itinerary
- 2 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 3 family holiday Rome&Venice
- 4 Northern Spain vs Portugal, where spend more time ?
- 5 1 week in winter. Where to go?
- 6 If you had to choose one......
- 7 2 Months - Dubrovnik to Frankfurt Itinerary
- 8 Ireland Trip Planning Advice
- 9 Road Trip From Frankfurt
- 10 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 11 Sicily
- 12 Gertie in Greece NOW
- 13 Driver/Car Service Recommendation FCO- Pienza
- 14 car for four adults and four bikes
- 15 Marksburg Castle Transport Question
- 16 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 17 Cycling with KIDS - Dordogne, France, (Combiers) APRIL 2017
- 18 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 19 Stonehenge more accessible with group?
- 20 Northern Spain Hotel Suggestion
- 21 How is the drive from Munich to Paris?
- 22 Fuerteventura - Canary Islands
- 23 Q re: holiday season in Italy
- 24 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 25 Switzerland 8 day itinerary in May