My husband has a conference in Athens, and my two kids and I are going to tag along. We would like to make a short trip out of it and need help conceptualizing the itinerary. Our girls are 10 and 7, and we'd be flying from NYC. We would be going in mid-May. Our interests are archeological sites and ruins, ancient cities, and natural beauty.
We could either:
1) Stay in Athens for three days. Explore the Acropolis and other ancient sites. Maybe do a day trip to Sounion or to another site or two.
2) Spend a day in Athens and then head out to one of the islands by ferry and spend a few days there.
Should we explore Athens or venture out to the islands? If so, which one would be suitable for a family with kids, not too far from Athens because of our limited time frame? We could possibly stretch this vacation out to five days, tops. And yes, I know it would be better to spend two weeks in Greece. But for this trip, five days or so is all we have.
Thanks in advance for your guidance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 2 Dublin or Amsterdam?
- 3 St Denis Cathedral
- 4 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 5 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 6 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 7 Versailles & musical fountains: Touristy or Magical? Skip it or Don't Miss?
- 8 Parma, Reggio or Modena for a year?
- 9 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 10 Travel from Madrid to Barcelona with a Side Trip?
- 11 Rouen Tour Companies
- 12 One Month in Italy - Where would you base yourself?
- 13 Booking through Loco2 Train
- 14 CDG much improved
- 15 Ronda Wine/biking
- 16 Four Nights free after Monmouth, Wales & before London.
- 17 Italy bus or train
- 18 Ireland itinerary help please
- 19 May get together in Paris
- 20 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 21 Best neighborhood for first timer to Lisbon, Portugal
- 22 Switzerland/Italy (2 weeks vacations)
- 23 Naples/The Amalfi Coast...and Sicily?
- 24 Canal du Midi
- 25 Seeking Andalusia itinerary recommendation