I'm planning a trip very similar to this one posted here previously for about 10 days. I'm also trying to figure out where are the best / nicest places to stay, and for how many days in each.Should I try to divide it up or is there perhaps one strategically located place along the south west coast which would be considered a good base for about a week from which to explore the region,and just rent a cottage. Or if someone can suggest a couple of scenic places e.g. Jurassic coast, south or north Cornwall coast.
I'm used to driving so taking day trips from one good base doesn't phase me too much.
I need advice as to how to go about timing this trip! For an overview, on day 1 (Sept 30) we will leave Bath about noon, head South to Dorset coast (but would like quick stops in Avebury & Stonehenge along the way), then over the rest of the car rental days, head West along the coast to Lands End, then up the Northeast coast & back to Bath on Day 11 (Oct 11). I've read the guidebooks, studied the maps, circled places of interest, but am at a total loss about where to book rooms and for how long in each area (or perhaps NOT to book rooms at all?!)
I really wish you could see the circles on my map! Here's a sampling:
Dorset coast: Corfe Castle, Worth Matravers, Durdle Door, Jurassic Coast, Lyme Regis, fossil hunts, easy cliff walks
Heading West: Sidmouth, Exmouth, Torquay, Start Bay walk, Salcombe, Burgh Island, Bigbury on the Sea, more short coastal walks
On the way to Falmouth & Lizard Peninsula, not much circled but Eden Project, then St. Mawes, St. Just, Helston, down to Lizard Point for views and walks
Then over to Penwith Peninsula - lots circled here! Need couple days for coastal drives, St. Ives, Mousehole, Penzance (perhaps stay here?), Lands End, theatre
Heading up NE coast, need time for stops along this coast for photo ops & views, Tintagel castle, walks in Bude, Morwenstow, & Hartland Point, quick visit in Clovelly, Morte Point, Lynon, Lynmouth
As you can see, we want dramatic scenery, easy cliff walks, picturesque towns & villages. We don't drive at night, so we need to settle in well before dark in a town that's big enough to have a variety of places to walk to, choices for food, & pubs to have a pint in (won't be touching a drop until done with the driving!)
PLEASE give your advice. In how many places should we base ourselves? Where would you book B&B's? (or to book at all?) How long in each area? Are any of these areas extremely difficult to drive to that I should omit? I can't seem to get a handle on distances, driving times, and how much time we need for such an itinerary. Thanks in advance!
Self drive trip from Bath to Dorset, Devon and Corwall
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help neede with Liquria itinerary
- 2 Venice (Somewhere) and Trieste (Nowhere)—With a Bit of Slovenia In Between
- 3 24 hour layover in Paris (CDG)
- 4 Expat area's in France
- 5 Wine tours in Tuscuny
- 6 Aaah...Umbria!
- 7 Sorrento Advice Please
- 8 Weather in Rias Baixas this weekend?
- 9 Aerobus from Barcelona airport to Placa Catalunya
- 10 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 11 Scandinavian tour - first time!
- 12 Do I need train tix in advance
- 13 Appian Way and Catacombs in Rome, tour? Sunday?
- 14 How are Asians perceived in the Netherlands and Norway?
- 15 Cyprus photo gallery
- 16 Photography Trip Ideas in Eastern Europe
- 17 Recommend a beautiful Costa Brava town we should visit!
- 18 York (UK) railway station to Herz depot on foot
- 19 What Three Nations Have The Friendliest People?
- 20 Our Eastern Europe trip is at hand - I could use some hotel suggestions.
- 21 Schengen rule made easy
- 22 Rose Petals and Reflections
- 23 Need help with itinerary
- 24 Cornwall or Paris?
- 25 7 days in London in Dec with family