This is sort of a follow-up to the "Are we crazy to try to plan a trip to Europe this summer" post. Everyone was so generous in your support of going for it, and I think I have DH convinced. We'll be traveling for about 3 weeks in July through the beginning of August with our two sons, ages 17 and 15. We did a 4 week trip through Italy last summer, so they are somewhat experienced travelers. Now I need to ask advice on some of the details...
We would like to see Bruges and stay for about two days. We also want to spend 4-5 days in Paris. I'd also love to see at least a couple of the chateaux in the Loire if we could fit it in. We also want to return to Provence. We were there in 2011, and stayed near St Saturnin les Apts. this time, we'd like to see more of the towns around St Remy (Arles for sure and any others you'd recommend).
So, what would be the most efficient/ least expensive way to fly into/ out of Europe? From initial research, flying into Brussels ( where we'd also like to stay at least 1 night) looks about $100 cheaper per ticket, but getting home to New York State is not easy from Marseille.
There are non-stop flights from Nice to JFK and other spots near us, but Nice is not that close to St Remy. Does anyone know of a way to plan our time where we could end up near a larger airport with non-stop flights to the states?
PS: I'm totally intimidated by leaving from CDG: it's so large and confusing. I could do it, but would prefer to avoid it.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Christmas in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 2 itinerary help for 14 days on Sicily
- 3 Bern, Switzerland: Anything Open on Jan 1st?
- 4 Sweden, Denmark or Both ? 8 days in Aug
- 5 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 6 Happy accidents ,undiscovered gems -London, Paris
- 7 Itinerary set for my grand Basque adventure
- 8 Here I plan again....Amsterdam
- 9 Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids
- 10 Athens or So. Spain in winter
- 11 4 weeks in Italy July with children
- 12 Corsica experts: Where should I spend an extra night?
- 13 8 Days in Corsica--Not Enough!
- 14 Italy by car
- 15 Parisian hotel lobby goes on the attack
- 16 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 17 Help. Medical escort needed after accident during holiday.
- 18 1 week in Cornwall, England
- 19 Scotland: Bluebells and Gorse, Castles and Stones, and NO Rain!
- 20 T Mobile Does it Again
- 21 Melk/Wachau Day Trip from Vienna
- 22 8 days in Madrid/Sevilla/Granada
- 23 Switzerland Itinerary - cheese making?
- 24 Seville Itinerary
- 25 Trip Report: Edinburgh, York, Cornwall and Highclere
Seize the day trip this summer: best airports Bruges, Paris, Provence?