This is sort of a follow-up to the "Are we crazy to try to plan a trip to Europe this summer" post. Everyone was so generous in your support of going for it, and I think I have DH convinced. We'll be traveling for about 3 weeks in July through the beginning of August with our two sons, ages 17 and 15. We did a 4 week trip through Italy last summer, so they are somewhat experienced travelers. Now I need to ask advice on some of the details...
We would like to see Bruges and stay for about two days. We also want to spend 4-5 days in Paris. I'd also love to see at least a couple of the chateaux in the Loire if we could fit it in. We also want to return to Provence. We were there in 2011, and stayed near St Saturnin les Apts. this time, we'd like to see more of the towns around St Remy (Arles for sure and any others you'd recommend).
So, what would be the most efficient/ least expensive way to fly into/ out of Europe? From initial research, flying into Brussels ( where we'd also like to stay at least 1 night) looks about $100 cheaper per ticket, but getting home to New York State is not easy from Marseille.
There are non-stop flights from Nice to JFK and other spots near us, but Nice is not that close to St Remy. Does anyone know of a way to plan our time where we could end up near a larger airport with non-stop flights to the states?
PS: I'm totally intimidated by leaving from CDG: it's so large and confusing. I could do it, but would prefer to avoid it.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip to Spain in the Fall
- 2 Venice, Italy to Amalfi coast
- 3 Paris, Versailles and Jet Lag
- 4 Gluten Free in Italy
- 5 Relaxing on the Rhone - a river cruise virgin's trip report.
- 6 90 day rule with EU/Spain Visa
- 7 Dublin Ireland Theatre Advice Needed
- 8 Edinburgh Nightlife
- 9 The most interesting city/town in the UK-in your opinion
- 10 Traveling advice for Amalfi coast
- 11 Rudesheim Bacharach or other suggestions.
- 12 Book recommendation: Non-travel book about the Dolomites
- 13 12 days in the Italian Lakes
- 14 I'm sorting out my stuff for the next trip.
- 15 France: advice on where to go with young kids
- 16 Whirlwind Italy in 16 days
- 17 to do with kids 2 1/2 days with a layover in frankfurt
- 18 Italy, somewhere new - recommendations please.
- 19 AVE Train ticket purchase in Spain
- 20 A few last minute questions
- 21 I'm KuKu for Iceland
- 22 Input on this 8 Day London Itinerary
- 23 Edinburgh-London-Paris in that order
- 24 3-ish Countries in 3 Weeks?
- 25 The Impact of AirBnB in Paris
Seize the day trip this summer: best airports Bruges, Paris, Provence?