This is sort of a follow-up to the "Are we crazy to try to plan a trip to Europe this summer" post. Everyone was so generous in your support of going for it, and I think I have DH convinced. We'll be traveling for about 3 weeks in July through the beginning of August with our two sons, ages 17 and 15. We did a 4 week trip through Italy last summer, so they are somewhat experienced travelers. Now I need to ask advice on some of the details...
We would like to see Bruges and stay for about two days. We also want to spend 4-5 days in Paris. I'd also love to see at least a couple of the chateaux in the Loire if we could fit it in. We also want to return to Provence. We were there in 2011, and stayed near St Saturnin les Apts. this time, we'd like to see more of the towns around St Remy (Arles for sure and any others you'd recommend).
So, what would be the most efficient/ least expensive way to fly into/ out of Europe? From initial research, flying into Brussels ( where we'd also like to stay at least 1 night) looks about $100 cheaper per ticket, but getting home to New York State is not easy from Marseille.
There are non-stop flights from Nice to JFK and other spots near us, but Nice is not that close to St Remy. Does anyone know of a way to plan our time where we could end up near a larger airport with non-stop flights to the states?
PS: I'm totally intimidated by leaving from CDG: it's so large and confusing. I could do it, but would prefer to avoid it.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Charles de Gaulle airport: Speediest arrival and departure ever!
- 2 London Travelcard vs oyster card
- 3 Car rental leaving Rome
- 4 Help needed for itinerary planning: Iceland
- 5 Safe to Travel?
- 6 Ideas for Month in Germany
- 7 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 8 Summer Language Programs in Germany
- 9 Poll: Most loved smaller European cities & towns (under 500,000 pop.)
- 10 Boots for Christmastime in Germany?
- 11 Barcelona to Bordeaux and back in two weeks
- 12 small Paris hotel 6 or 7 Arr
- 13 Pre-Booking Train Tickets
- 14 Airfare from Boston to Rome
- 15 Recommendations for a Drive through Chianti
- 16 Handicap Assistance at Charles de Gaulle - Our Experience
- 17 Hotel in Tenerife, Canary Islands
- 18 Why Not Helsinki?
- 19 CAPITALIZING ON THE CAPITALS: Central Europe
- 20 Rome to Todi on a Sunday - public transport help please
- 21 Fabulous Greece-Santorini, Naxos and Athens
- 22 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 23 Naxos hotels? has anyone stayed at Finikas?
- 24 8 days in Vienna in December
- 25 Solvenia to Venice stops on the way
Seize the day trip this summer: best airports Bruges, Paris, Provence?