This is sort of a follow-up to the "Are we crazy to try to plan a trip to Europe this summer" post. Everyone was so generous in your support of going for it, and I think I have DH convinced. We'll be traveling for about 3 weeks in July through the beginning of August with our two sons, ages 17 and 15. We did a 4 week trip through Italy last summer, so they are somewhat experienced travelers. Now I need to ask advice on some of the details...
We would like to see Bruges and stay for about two days. We also want to spend 4-5 days in Paris. I'd also love to see at least a couple of the chateaux in the Loire if we could fit it in. We also want to return to Provence. We were there in 2011, and stayed near St Saturnin les Apts. this time, we'd like to see more of the towns around St Remy (Arles for sure and any others you'd recommend).
So, what would be the most efficient/ least expensive way to fly into/ out of Europe? From initial research, flying into Brussels ( where we'd also like to stay at least 1 night) looks about $100 cheaper per ticket, but getting home to New York State is not easy from Marseille.
There are non-stop flights from Nice to JFK and other spots near us, but Nice is not that close to St Remy. Does anyone know of a way to plan our time where we could end up near a larger airport with non-stop flights to the states?
PS: I'm totally intimidated by leaving from CDG: it's so large and confusing. I could do it, but would prefer to avoid it.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Can I visit Rotterdam on a 6h40 min layover in Schiphol?
- 2 Help with Crete Itinerary
- 3 Scotland in December
- 4 10 days in London in early December
- 5 LONG Trip Report Barcelona & Costa Brava June 2017
- 6 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 7 Iceland
- 8 Itinerary Help for Sicily
- 9 Greece
- 10 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 11 First steps for Russian trip planning
- 12 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 13 Edinburgh to Falkirk Wheel to Glasgow
- 14 Sicily in 3 Weeks
- 15 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 16 Berlin to ?
- 17 4 nights Prague..then where? Need help
- 18 Does the heat of Europe ever grind you down?
- 19 Trip Report: Italy with the bambinos!
- 20 tickets for Wimbledon
- 21 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living
- 22 Sitting at a cafe watching the world go by - hmmm...
- 23 Nice room in Venice in late September for £150?
- 24 Italy in January?
- 25 Cortona -- just a passing thought
Seize the day trip this summer: best airports Bruges, Paris, Provence?