This is sort of a follow-up to the "Are we crazy to try to plan a trip to Europe this summer" post. Everyone was so generous in your support of going for it, and I think I have DH convinced. We'll be traveling for about 3 weeks in July through the beginning of August with our two sons, ages 17 and 15. We did a 4 week trip through Italy last summer, so they are somewhat experienced travelers. Now I need to ask advice on some of the details...
We would like to see Bruges and stay for about two days. We also want to spend 4-5 days in Paris. I'd also love to see at least a couple of the chateaux in the Loire if we could fit it in. We also want to return to Provence. We were there in 2011, and stayed near St Saturnin les Apts. this time, we'd like to see more of the towns around St Remy (Arles for sure and any others you'd recommend).
So, what would be the most efficient/ least expensive way to fly into/ out of Europe? From initial research, flying into Brussels ( where we'd also like to stay at least 1 night) looks about $100 cheaper per ticket, but getting home to New York State is not easy from Marseille.
There are non-stop flights from Nice to JFK and other spots near us, but Nice is not that close to St Remy. Does anyone know of a way to plan our time where we could end up near a larger airport with non-stop flights to the states?
PS: I'm totally intimidated by leaving from CDG: it's so large and confusing. I could do it, but would prefer to avoid it.
Seize the day trip this summer: best airports Bruges, Paris, Provence?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Connection - Frankfurt airport to Mannheim HBF to SNCF
- 2 Is Naxos worthwhile if not planning to spend time on the beach?
- 3 Sicily - not a trip report
- 4 How much will a budget to Europe be for 2 months?
- 5 Flying in and out of Zurich - stay there the entire time?
- 6 Need ideas for a Christmas 2014 holiday vacation?
- 7 Fashion for larger man?
- 8 car rental advice in Portugal
- 9 How much time to allow between flights at Athens airport?
- 10 Fjords, How To?
- 11 travel from Edinburgh to Paris
- 12 Athens-Paros-Santorini Trip Itinerary
- 13 Duoro river cruises
- 14 What to wear
- 15 London & Cotswold or Prague & Amsterdam
- 16 Geneva - Basel driver/tour/transfer
- 17 Budget for 3 Month's
- 18 Side trip from Nice to wine country suggestions
- 19 Mosquitos in Amsterdam
- 20 Normandy, Brittany and Loire Valley in May - please help with itinerary
- 21 Malmaison - how to get there from Paris
- 22 Suggestions for trip to England with preteen girls 11 & 13?
- 23 Hotel recommendations for Trieste
- 24 Traveling in France by train
- 25 Ideas for Scotland trip