I've been busily researching and following links suggested by so many fellow travelers, and have started to rough out a plan for our trip this summer. DH and I will be traveling with our two sons, ages 17 and 15. They are fairly experienced travelers after trekking through Italy last summer. Nothing has been booked yet, and I know I have to move quickly so any guidance would be most welcome.
Here's my first thought:
-Fly into Brussels, and either stay 1 night there before heading to Bruges for 2 nights, or just take a train to Bruges and stay 2 nights. (Leaning toward just going straight to Bruges, unless people really feel Brussels deserves a night)
-Train to Paris, stay 4-5 nights.
-Train to Loire Valley to see chateaux, or just rent a car somehow in Paris (this would seem challenging) and drive to the Loire Valley. Stay 2 nights or so
-Train to Avignon, rent car at station (we've done this before) then drive to St. Remy de Provence. Stay in St Remy for 6 nights or so, using as a base to see various towns and sites.
-Somehow get a train to Geneva and take another train to Vevey. We'd probably stay 3 nights in Vevey, since we've never been to Switzerland. We could do a little touring around the area.
The reason for going to Geneva is to save on our flights. Even with train fare estimates, it looks like we'd save about $500+ by flying home from Geneva. However, not sure if it would really be less expensive when figuring other costs of touring through Switzerland. This is where I really need some help.
Would people recommend that we omit the Switzerland leg of the trip and just fly home from Nice? We could spend a couple of nights in St Paul de Vence (loved it a couple of years ago), or somewhere else in Nice.
As you can see, this is all still in the beginning stages. Please let me know if you'd spend more or less time in any of these places. I'm so grateful for any advice!
Seize the Day trip rough itinerary: can you help smooth it out?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Christmas in salzburg
- 2 More questions about Swiss rail system and the Bernina Express?
- 3 3.5 Weeks in Europe with no luggage
- 4 PLEASE HELP! Study Abroad either Rome or London for Journalism/PR Major
- 5 Drat! -- Always cancel credit card after European car rental
- 6 Rick Steves - Ugly American Again!
- 7 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 8 Two-city, two-week vacation in late Oct
- 9 Pontresina to Tirano by Train
- 10 Bad Experience with Argus Car Hire Insurance offered by them
- 11 Seeking Ideas/Suggestions for Post Rhine River Cruise in Switzerland
- 12 30 day Multi-Country Europe Trip in June- PLEASE HELP WITH ITINERARY!!!
- 13 Drive from Granada to Seville
- 14 Pre-Trip Jitters!
- 15 Italy through locals eyes
- 16 Lagos or Portimao better base to stay
- 17 Rome, and Eastern Europe by older single woman
- 18 9 Day Spain Itinerary (Barcelona - Seville - Madrid)
- 19 Norway and maybe Denmark
- 20 Haarlem Holland - Hotels or B&Bs
- 21 Hurtigruten Cruise excursions alternatives, coast of Norway
- 22 Apartment rental in Barcelona
- 23 Advice please...
- 24 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 25 Paris in black and white