I've been busily researching and following links suggested by so many fellow travelers, and have started to rough out a plan for our trip this summer. DH and I will be traveling with our two sons, ages 17 and 15. They are fairly experienced travelers after trekking through Italy last summer. Nothing has been booked yet, and I know I have to move quickly so any guidance would be most welcome.
Here's my first thought:
-Fly into Brussels, and either stay 1 night there before heading to Bruges for 2 nights, or just take a train to Bruges and stay 2 nights. (Leaning toward just going straight to Bruges, unless people really feel Brussels deserves a night)
-Train to Paris, stay 4-5 nights.
-Train to Loire Valley to see chateaux, or just rent a car somehow in Paris (this would seem challenging) and drive to the Loire Valley. Stay 2 nights or so
-Train to Avignon, rent car at station (we've done this before) then drive to St. Remy de Provence. Stay in St Remy for 6 nights or so, using as a base to see various towns and sites.
-Somehow get a train to Geneva and take another train to Vevey. We'd probably stay 3 nights in Vevey, since we've never been to Switzerland. We could do a little touring around the area.
The reason for going to Geneva is to save on our flights. Even with train fare estimates, it looks like we'd save about $500+ by flying home from Geneva. However, not sure if it would really be less expensive when figuring other costs of touring through Switzerland. This is where I really need some help.
Would people recommend that we omit the Switzerland leg of the trip and just fly home from Nice? We could spend a couple of nights in St Paul de Vence (loved it a couple of years ago), or somewhere else in Nice.
As you can see, this is all still in the beginning stages. Please let me know if you'd spend more or less time in any of these places. I'm so grateful for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Venice Restaurant on Easter Sunday?
- 2 Can't we Fodorites be kinder in our responses, especially to new posters?
- 3 First Trip to Italy-2 weeks
- 4 5 women, Italy, need suggestions
- 5 Citadines Bastille Marais
- 6 Euro 2016 Football championship
- 7 Frantic Ticket Purchase Upends Itinerary ... No Open Jaw -
- 8 3 Nights And 4 Days In Serbia
- 9 http://tophealthysolutions.com/lightstrike-360-tactical-flashlight/
- 10 Amalfi or Positano
- 11 Late August Trip to Northern Italy
- 12 Sleeping Beauty's Castle
- 13 Basic Itinerary for Flight to Denmark
- 14 St.Malo Suggestions ?
- 15 Public Transport information App/Website
- 16 Backpack with Infant carrier?
- 17 Rome to Portofino -
- 18 Portugal. & Southern Spain
- 19 Driving in Sicily: Help!
- 20 Corsica France...Calvi or Ajaccio or?
- 21 Paris authorities raid suspected illegal vacation rentals in 1er & 6er
- 22 Sim Card
- 23 Portugal and Southern Spain travel tips
- 24 Looking for advice on a Paris-based day trip to Reims
- 25 Recommendations re walking tours in Dubrovnik and Split
Seize the Day trip rough itinerary: can you help smooth it out?