I've been busily researching and following links suggested by so many fellow travelers, and have started to rough out a plan for our trip this summer. DH and I will be traveling with our two sons, ages 17 and 15. They are fairly experienced travelers after trekking through Italy last summer. Nothing has been booked yet, and I know I have to move quickly so any guidance would be most welcome.
Here's my first thought:
-Fly into Brussels, and either stay 1 night there before heading to Bruges for 2 nights, or just take a train to Bruges and stay 2 nights. (Leaning toward just going straight to Bruges, unless people really feel Brussels deserves a night)
-Train to Paris, stay 4-5 nights.
-Train to Loire Valley to see chateaux, or just rent a car somehow in Paris (this would seem challenging) and drive to the Loire Valley. Stay 2 nights or so
-Train to Avignon, rent car at station (we've done this before) then drive to St. Remy de Provence. Stay in St Remy for 6 nights or so, using as a base to see various towns and sites.
-Somehow get a train to Geneva and take another train to Vevey. We'd probably stay 3 nights in Vevey, since we've never been to Switzerland. We could do a little touring around the area.
The reason for going to Geneva is to save on our flights. Even with train fare estimates, it looks like we'd save about $500+ by flying home from Geneva. However, not sure if it would really be less expensive when figuring other costs of touring through Switzerland. This is where I really need some help.
Would people recommend that we omit the Switzerland leg of the trip and just fly home from Nice? We could spend a couple of nights in St Paul de Vence (loved it a couple of years ago), or somewhere else in Nice.
As you can see, this is all still in the beginning stages. Please let me know if you'd spend more or less time in any of these places. I'm so grateful for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 http://brainammofacts.com/staminon/
- 2 Scotland--transport from Dundee wharf to Edinburgh city center
- 3 London - Lakes - Hadrian - Traquair and more...
- 4 London, guided tours vs "do it oursleves"
- 5 Berlin / Cologne / Rothenburg / Neuschwanstein
- 6 Sweden, Denmark or Both ? 8 days in Aug
- 7 cheap balloon ride in Cappadocia, Turkey?
- 8 To europe this Aug
- 9 Are Cappadocia Hot Air Balloon Rides Cold ?
- 10 Lagos Walking Tour
- 11 Which ballooning company should we use in Cappadocia?
- 12 http://www.piratetoyshop.com/max-gain-xtreme/
- 13 Trip Report: Edinburgh, York, Cornwall and Highclere
- 14 Is Heathrow or Gatwick best to use for going to London?
- 15 Happy accidents ,undiscovered gems -London, Paris
- 16 MADRID-ARANDA DEL DUERO-BURGOS- (??)
- 17 Scotland: Bluebells and Gorse, Castles and Stones, and NO Rain!
- 18 Monti in Rome, your thoughts please
- 19 want to use Iphone in UK and Italy
- 20 HOTEL IN STOCKHOLM
- 21 http://megacleanseradvice.com/io-boost-reviews/
- 22 DO NOT USE GO TODAY.COM!
- 23 Cross Border Car Rental in Balkans
- 24 Alhambra to Hammam al Andalusus Spa / best option
- 25 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
Seize the Day trip rough itinerary: can you help smooth it out?