I've been busily researching and following links suggested by so many fellow travelers, and have started to rough out a plan for our trip this summer. DH and I will be traveling with our two sons, ages 17 and 15. They are fairly experienced travelers after trekking through Italy last summer. Nothing has been booked yet, and I know I have to move quickly so any guidance would be most welcome.
Here's my first thought:
-Fly into Brussels, and either stay 1 night there before heading to Bruges for 2 nights, or just take a train to Bruges and stay 2 nights. (Leaning toward just going straight to Bruges, unless people really feel Brussels deserves a night)
-Train to Paris, stay 4-5 nights.
-Train to Loire Valley to see chateaux, or just rent a car somehow in Paris (this would seem challenging) and drive to the Loire Valley. Stay 2 nights or so
-Train to Avignon, rent car at station (we've done this before) then drive to St. Remy de Provence. Stay in St Remy for 6 nights or so, using as a base to see various towns and sites.
-Somehow get a train to Geneva and take another train to Vevey. We'd probably stay 3 nights in Vevey, since we've never been to Switzerland. We could do a little touring around the area.
The reason for going to Geneva is to save on our flights. Even with train fare estimates, it looks like we'd save about $500+ by flying home from Geneva. However, not sure if it would really be less expensive when figuring other costs of touring through Switzerland. This is where I really need some help.
Would people recommend that we omit the Switzerland leg of the trip and just fly home from Nice? We could spend a couple of nights in St Paul de Vence (loved it a couple of years ago), or somewhere else in Nice.
As you can see, this is all still in the beginning stages. Please let me know if you'd spend more or less time in any of these places. I'm so grateful for any advice!
Seize the Day trip rough itinerary: can you help smooth it out?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cookware in France
- 2 Train from Barcelona-Saints to Estacio de Franca
- 3 Powerscourt OR Glendalough?
- 4 Switzerland - where to for this trip?
- 5 Ireland train system: first class??
- 6 Anciet Brits Were Cannibals
- 7 Welltravbrit's London Sojourn - An Ongoing Trip Report
- 8 Taormina & Mt Etna
- 9 9 days in switzerland
- 10 Restaurants in San Sebastian
- 11 Barcelona and places around
- 12 Help for Last 3 days in Ireland!! One of these days is Dublin!!
- 13 700 die off Italian coast in boat accident.
- 14 hotel near Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen
- 15 Taxi from CDG to Paris for 4. Cost?
- 16 Possible London GTG between April 28/May1
- 17 apartment
- 18 Areas to avoid as a person of color?
- 19 3 and a half days in Helsinki and Tallinn..help with itinerary?
- 20 Brontë Bicentenaries - plans unveiled starting 2016
- 21 Wine tour in Chianti
- 22 Three weeks in Italy with a two-year old
- 23 travel in Spain or France from Barcelona or Madrid
- 24 Visiting Exciting Turkey in the Throes of Restoration
- 25 Minimum age to rent a hotel or hostel room