I've been busily researching and following links suggested by so many fellow travelers, and have started to rough out a plan for our trip this summer. DH and I will be traveling with our two sons, ages 17 and 15. They are fairly experienced travelers after trekking through Italy last summer. Nothing has been booked yet, and I know I have to move quickly so any guidance would be most welcome.
Here's my first thought:
-Fly into Brussels, and either stay 1 night there before heading to Bruges for 2 nights, or just take a train to Bruges and stay 2 nights. (Leaning toward just going straight to Bruges, unless people really feel Brussels deserves a night)
-Train to Paris, stay 4-5 nights.
-Train to Loire Valley to see chateaux, or just rent a car somehow in Paris (this would seem challenging) and drive to the Loire Valley. Stay 2 nights or so
-Train to Avignon, rent car at station (we've done this before) then drive to St. Remy de Provence. Stay in St Remy for 6 nights or so, using as a base to see various towns and sites.
-Somehow get a train to Geneva and take another train to Vevey. We'd probably stay 3 nights in Vevey, since we've never been to Switzerland. We could do a little touring around the area.
The reason for going to Geneva is to save on our flights. Even with train fare estimates, it looks like we'd save about $500+ by flying home from Geneva. However, not sure if it would really be less expensive when figuring other costs of touring through Switzerland. This is where I really need some help.
Would people recommend that we omit the Switzerland leg of the trip and just fly home from Nice? We could spend a couple of nights in St Paul de Vence (loved it a couple of years ago), or somewhere else in Nice.
As you can see, this is all still in the beginning stages. Please let me know if you'd spend more or less time in any of these places. I'm so grateful for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Gorges du Tarn- No car...?
- 2 Palace Versaille - worth the lines ?
- 3 Luggage in rental car while touring Normandie and Loire Valley
- 4 Arcona living munchen or Pullman Munich
- 5 Espagne, Olé! Ancient to modern, through Andalucia, Toledo and Madrid
- 6 Spain vacation itinerary suggestions
- 7 Portugal - need help with planning
- 8 Do I need air conditioning in Wengen in July?
- 9 Help! College daughter's 1st day in Nerja, Spain/converter broke!!
- 10 Welltravbrit's London Sojourn - An Ongoing Trip Report
- 11 Musee D'Orsay or the Louvre
- 12 Need help for itinerary with 4 yr old
- 13 If Greece exits
- 14 Beautiful Engadin is suffering
- 15 Spanish air controllers strikes in July 2015
- 16 Traveling around Castile-Leon
- 17 10 days in July-Aug with kids - Switzerland and Italy
- 18 South of France - a big place... looking for advice!
- 19 Seeking help on my 12 days trip from Switzerland to Austria
- 20 Four Awesome Weeks in the North of Spain and Catalunya
- 21 Is my Scotland itinerary doable?
- 22 Germany to Austria in 11 days? Help!
- 23 8 nights Geneva to Zurich itinerary ideas
- 24 Paris Hotel - Hotel des Nations St-Germain , Le Méridien Etoile
- 25 1 day in the Black Forest
Seize the Day trip rough itinerary: can you help smooth it out?