I've been busily researching and following links suggested by so many fellow travelers, and have started to rough out a plan for our trip this summer. DH and I will be traveling with our two sons, ages 17 and 15. They are fairly experienced travelers after trekking through Italy last summer. Nothing has been booked yet, and I know I have to move quickly so any guidance would be most welcome.
Here's my first thought:
-Fly into Brussels, and either stay 1 night there before heading to Bruges for 2 nights, or just take a train to Bruges and stay 2 nights. (Leaning toward just going straight to Bruges, unless people really feel Brussels deserves a night)
-Train to Paris, stay 4-5 nights.
-Train to Loire Valley to see chateaux, or just rent a car somehow in Paris (this would seem challenging) and drive to the Loire Valley. Stay 2 nights or so
-Train to Avignon, rent car at station (we've done this before) then drive to St. Remy de Provence. Stay in St Remy for 6 nights or so, using as a base to see various towns and sites.
-Somehow get a train to Geneva and take another train to Vevey. We'd probably stay 3 nights in Vevey, since we've never been to Switzerland. We could do a little touring around the area.
The reason for going to Geneva is to save on our flights. Even with train fare estimates, it looks like we'd save about $500+ by flying home from Geneva. However, not sure if it would really be less expensive when figuring other costs of touring through Switzerland. This is where I really need some help.
Would people recommend that we omit the Switzerland leg of the trip and just fly home from Nice? We could spend a couple of nights in St Paul de Vence (loved it a couple of years ago), or somewhere else in Nice.
As you can see, this is all still in the beginning stages. Please let me know if you'd spend more or less time in any of these places. I'm so grateful for any advice!
Seize the Day trip rough itinerary: can you help smooth it out?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Umbria, Marche - where to add extra days
- 2 Returning Oyster card at Kings Cross rail station in London
- 3 The Train In Spain And Maybe Take A Plane?
- 4 Dublin to Cashel
- 5 Drug addict cleansing in France and Spain
- 6 Europe Quis ( Friday March 27 )
- 7 Paris and Normandy Trains
- 8 Bologna: Walk via Arcades to San Luca
- 9 Input wanted on Budapest to Prague July trip
- 10 MaiTaiTom's Paris When It Sizzles; Paris When It Fizzles Anniversary Trip
- 11 Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast?
- 12 London, Vienna, Prague - theater recommendations
- 13 DB Bahn : Budapest to Prague
- 14 Athens and which islands?
- 15 Paris and Normandy Trains
- 16 Best way to go from Positano to Pompeii then to Rome? Pompeii private tour?
- 17 Opera in Prague : Dvorak's Rusalka or Puccini's Tosca
- 18 Sea side in Italy
- 19 Prague symphony - please help me choose 2 seats
- 20 Exquisite side trip from Cinque Terre?
- 21 Munich Daytrips
- 22 Belgium - Amsterdam - Dusseldorf
- 23 Private guide in Germany - typical fees?
- 24 Inexperienced traveler trying to plan for 2 weeks in Europe!
- 25 Help me find a Villa in Val D'Orcia this Summer!