I've been busily researching and following links suggested by so many fellow travelers, and have started to rough out a plan for our trip this summer. DH and I will be traveling with our two sons, ages 17 and 15. They are fairly experienced travelers after trekking through Italy last summer. Nothing has been booked yet, and I know I have to move quickly so any guidance would be most welcome.
Here's my first thought:
-Fly into Brussels, and either stay 1 night there before heading to Bruges for 2 nights, or just take a train to Bruges and stay 2 nights. (Leaning toward just going straight to Bruges, unless people really feel Brussels deserves a night)
-Train to Paris, stay 4-5 nights.
-Train to Loire Valley to see chateaux, or just rent a car somehow in Paris (this would seem challenging) and drive to the Loire Valley. Stay 2 nights or so
-Train to Avignon, rent car at station (we've done this before) then drive to St. Remy de Provence. Stay in St Remy for 6 nights or so, using as a base to see various towns and sites.
-Somehow get a train to Geneva and take another train to Vevey. We'd probably stay 3 nights in Vevey, since we've never been to Switzerland. We could do a little touring around the area.
The reason for going to Geneva is to save on our flights. Even with train fare estimates, it looks like we'd save about $500+ by flying home from Geneva. However, not sure if it would really be less expensive when figuring other costs of touring through Switzerland. This is where I really need some help.
Would people recommend that we omit the Switzerland leg of the trip and just fly home from Nice? We could spend a couple of nights in St Paul de Vence (loved it a couple of years ago), or somewhere else in Nice.
As you can see, this is all still in the beginning stages. Please let me know if you'd spend more or less time in any of these places. I'm so grateful for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Calling on all Alps hiking experts for some advice
- 2 Florence: a piece of precious, magical art in its own right
- 3 Where can I find the best steak in London?
- 4 MaiTaiTom's "Insane For Spain" - 2015
- 5 honeymoon eats and drinks
- 6 England/Scotland in January?
- 7 First visit to Paris, 6 days
- 8 first time to Europe: London Paris & ?
- 9 What to do in Dublin/ Waterford in 1 day
- 10 In Pursuit of Vikings, Fjords and Cooler Weather, thursdaysd Goes North
- 11 London
- 12 Basque region and/or Galicia?
- 13 Northern Wales Itinerary Review
- 14 lodging in/near madrid
- 15 October trip to St. Petersburg, Tallinn and Helsinki?
- 16 November Eastern Europe Trip
- 17 Itinerary advice needed for Europe summer 2016
- 18 Don't kill me - 88 days in Paris Airbnb?
- 19 SIM card in Sicily
- 20 Train strikes - Spain
- 21 seeking advice for Turkey trip in November
- 22 Advise for 4 days in Peloponnese
- 23 Chip on Debit card?
- 24 Best city in Europe to visit during winter
- 25 Sorrento as a lodging base
Seize the Day trip rough itinerary: can you help smooth it out?