I've been busily researching and following links suggested by so many fellow travelers, and have started to rough out a plan for our trip this summer. DH and I will be traveling with our two sons, ages 17 and 15. They are fairly experienced travelers after trekking through Italy last summer. Nothing has been booked yet, and I know I have to move quickly so any guidance would be most welcome.
Here's my first thought:
-Fly into Brussels, and either stay 1 night there before heading to Bruges for 2 nights, or just take a train to Bruges and stay 2 nights. (Leaning toward just going straight to Bruges, unless people really feel Brussels deserves a night)
-Train to Paris, stay 4-5 nights.
-Train to Loire Valley to see chateaux, or just rent a car somehow in Paris (this would seem challenging) and drive to the Loire Valley. Stay 2 nights or so
-Train to Avignon, rent car at station (we've done this before) then drive to St. Remy de Provence. Stay in St Remy for 6 nights or so, using as a base to see various towns and sites.
-Somehow get a train to Geneva and take another train to Vevey. We'd probably stay 3 nights in Vevey, since we've never been to Switzerland. We could do a little touring around the area.
The reason for going to Geneva is to save on our flights. Even with train fare estimates, it looks like we'd save about $500+ by flying home from Geneva. However, not sure if it would really be less expensive when figuring other costs of touring through Switzerland. This is where I really need some help.
Would people recommend that we omit the Switzerland leg of the trip and just fly home from Nice? We could spend a couple of nights in St Paul de Vence (loved it a couple of years ago), or somewhere else in Nice.
As you can see, this is all still in the beginning stages. Please let me know if you'd spend more or less time in any of these places. I'm so grateful for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip Report: Eight Days in Amsterdam and Belgium
- 2 Slovenia & Croatia itinerary help
- 3 Referendum in Greece
- 4 Pegontheroad in eastern Europe
- 5 Germany Itinerary suggestions please
- 6 Visa D - Student or Tourist?
- 7 Barcelona Itinerary
- 8 Amalfi Coast restaurants...are dinner reservations a must?
- 9 Turkey Draft Itinerary
- 10 Trip Report: Bellagio, Milan, Venice, Cinque Terre and Piedmont
- 11 First trip to Ireland--won't be the last!
- 12 What company to rent a AUTOMATIC car in France?
- 13 Spain (Ibiza or Majorca)
- 14 Umbria/Tuscany/Le Marche villa suggestions for large group
- 15 Musee D'Orsay or the Louvre
- 16 Obtaining Swiss francs in Switzerland
- 17 My northern Italy itinerary - your comments are appreciated!
- 18 Sunrise in Colmar, France
- 19 Ann Frank House
- 20 Iceland
- 21 Is my itinerary the Best of Switzerland?
- 22 Beautiful Engadin is suffering
- 23 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 24 London to Edinburgh transportation
- 25 Interlaken vs. Lucern vs. Zurich
Seize the Day trip rough itinerary: can you help smooth it out?