I've been busily researching and following links suggested by so many fellow travelers, and have started to rough out a plan for our trip this summer. DH and I will be traveling with our two sons, ages 17 and 15. They are fairly experienced travelers after trekking through Italy last summer. Nothing has been booked yet, and I know I have to move quickly so any guidance would be most welcome.
Here's my first thought:
-Fly into Brussels, and either stay 1 night there before heading to Bruges for 2 nights, or just take a train to Bruges and stay 2 nights. (Leaning toward just going straight to Bruges, unless people really feel Brussels deserves a night)
-Train to Paris, stay 4-5 nights.
-Train to Loire Valley to see chateaux, or just rent a car somehow in Paris (this would seem challenging) and drive to the Loire Valley. Stay 2 nights or so
-Train to Avignon, rent car at station (we've done this before) then drive to St. Remy de Provence. Stay in St Remy for 6 nights or so, using as a base to see various towns and sites.
-Somehow get a train to Geneva and take another train to Vevey. We'd probably stay 3 nights in Vevey, since we've never been to Switzerland. We could do a little touring around the area.
The reason for going to Geneva is to save on our flights. Even with train fare estimates, it looks like we'd save about $500+ by flying home from Geneva. However, not sure if it would really be less expensive when figuring other costs of touring through Switzerland. This is where I really need some help.
Would people recommend that we omit the Switzerland leg of the trip and just fly home from Nice? We could spend a couple of nights in St Paul de Vence (loved it a couple of years ago), or somewhere else in Nice.
As you can see, this is all still in the beginning stages. Please let me know if you'd spend more or less time in any of these places. I'm so grateful for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lunch stop in Cinque Terre
- 2 No Periods in British Written English!
- 3 Seville- Ronda drive time
- 4 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 5 Ronda Wine/biking
- 6 Flying into London and Flying out of Edinburgh
- 7 St Denis Cathedral
- 8 Mantova, Ravenna, Ferrara fall 2017?
- 9 What crazy coincidence or chance meeting have you had while traveling?
- 10 First Trip from Boston to Italy
- 11 Italy, beyond the most common Tourist Destinations
- 12 Andalucia itinerary help
- 13 CDG Meeting Point Help
- 14 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 15 Doumo to Lampugnano bus station
- 16 How to rent a car
- 17 Mayrhofen August with nearly 5 year old and 5 months old?
- 18 Day trips from Florence
- 19 Bus from Dubrovnik to Mostar
- 20 Hotel Dauphine. Paris.
- 21 itinerary help: 18 days in Wales/Scotland
- 22 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 23 Perugia
- 24 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 25 May get together in Paris
Seize the Day trip rough itinerary: can you help smooth it out?