I've been busily researching and following links suggested by so many fellow travelers, and have started to rough out a plan for our trip this summer. DH and I will be traveling with our two sons, ages 17 and 15. They are fairly experienced travelers after trekking through Italy last summer. Nothing has been booked yet, and I know I have to move quickly so any guidance would be most welcome.
Here's my first thought:
-Fly into Brussels, and either stay 1 night there before heading to Bruges for 2 nights, or just take a train to Bruges and stay 2 nights. (Leaning toward just going straight to Bruges, unless people really feel Brussels deserves a night)
-Train to Paris, stay 4-5 nights.
-Train to Loire Valley to see chateaux, or just rent a car somehow in Paris (this would seem challenging) and drive to the Loire Valley. Stay 2 nights or so
-Train to Avignon, rent car at station (we've done this before) then drive to St. Remy de Provence. Stay in St Remy for 6 nights or so, using as a base to see various towns and sites.
-Somehow get a train to Geneva and take another train to Vevey. We'd probably stay 3 nights in Vevey, since we've never been to Switzerland. We could do a little touring around the area.
The reason for going to Geneva is to save on our flights. Even with train fare estimates, it looks like we'd save about $500+ by flying home from Geneva. However, not sure if it would really be less expensive when figuring other costs of touring through Switzerland. This is where I really need some help.
Would people recommend that we omit the Switzerland leg of the trip and just fly home from Nice? We could spend a couple of nights in St Paul de Vence (loved it a couple of years ago), or somewhere else in Nice.
As you can see, this is all still in the beginning stages. Please let me know if you'd spend more or less time in any of these places. I'm so grateful for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help Planning Spain Itinerary
- 2 Glastonbury vs Bath
- 3 Fabulous Greece-Santorini, Naxos and Athens
- 4 visa appointment experience
- 5 First Trip to Europe!
- 6 Purchasing Italian train tickets from USA!
- 7 Switzerland in mid-April
- 8 What to take to Germany
- 9 Rue des Rosiers
- 10 Paris Under Seige...
- 11 CAPITALIZING ON THE CAPITALS: Central Europe
- 12 thursdaysd Wanders South
- 13 Sample European Itinerary for a solo traveler.
- 14 Scotland Trip
- 15 Cinque Terre Hiking Trails?
- 16 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 17 Bergen/Tromso/Lofoten
- 18 Hamam Istanbul?
- 19 How to go from bergen train station to bergen airport?
- 20 Barcelona to Bordeaux and back in two weeks
- 21 Pyrenees villages sth of Lourdes
- 22 16 night honeymoon in Spain
- 23 2 adults & 2 kids in a hotel room in Iceland?
- 24 advice on my 3 month backpacking trip itinerary?
- 25 Malta - 4 days before Cristmas
Seize the Day trip rough itinerary: can you help smooth it out?