I've been busily researching and following links suggested by so many fellow travelers, and have started to rough out a plan for our trip this summer. DH and I will be traveling with our two sons, ages 17 and 15. They are fairly experienced travelers after trekking through Italy last summer. Nothing has been booked yet, and I know I have to move quickly so any guidance would be most welcome.
Here's my first thought:
-Fly into Brussels, and either stay 1 night there before heading to Bruges for 2 nights, or just take a train to Bruges and stay 2 nights. (Leaning toward just going straight to Bruges, unless people really feel Brussels deserves a night)
-Train to Paris, stay 4-5 nights.
-Train to Loire Valley to see chateaux, or just rent a car somehow in Paris (this would seem challenging) and drive to the Loire Valley. Stay 2 nights or so
-Train to Avignon, rent car at station (we've done this before) then drive to St. Remy de Provence. Stay in St Remy for 6 nights or so, using as a base to see various towns and sites.
-Somehow get a train to Geneva and take another train to Vevey. We'd probably stay 3 nights in Vevey, since we've never been to Switzerland. We could do a little touring around the area.
The reason for going to Geneva is to save on our flights. Even with train fare estimates, it looks like we'd save about $500+ by flying home from Geneva. However, not sure if it would really be less expensive when figuring other costs of touring through Switzerland. This is where I really need some help.
Would people recommend that we omit the Switzerland leg of the trip and just fly home from Nice? We could spend a couple of nights in St Paul de Vence (loved it a couple of years ago), or somewhere else in Nice.
As you can see, this is all still in the beginning stages. Please let me know if you'd spend more or less time in any of these places. I'm so grateful for any advice!
Seize the Day trip rough itinerary: can you help smooth it out?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where to stay in Rome
- 2 Estonia Amber
- 3 Vatican - Wednesday General Audience
- 4 20 days in Central Europe (female traveling solo)
- 5 First time Croatia; young children; itinerary
- 6 Munich
- 7 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 8 Soccer/futbol in Madrid
- 9 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 10 Itinerary Help 10 days in Europe over Easter Week
- 11 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt
- 12 3 Week Trip to Italy and Paris - Suggestions
- 13 Italy
- 14 Florence to Naples by car road trip ideas
- 15 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 16 Netherlands holiday with a 2.5 year old
- 17 Online hotel reservation sites reliable?
- 18 October travel to Northern France--early or late?
- 19 Not hot in Europe in July?
- 20 OUR BIG ADVENTURE...2 WEEKS and counting
- 21 Two days between St. Ives and London
- 22 UK for 12 days !
- 23 Location and amenities in Edinburgh, Scotland
- 24 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 25 Just Another Macarons, Hot Chocolate, Tucked into Bed by 11 Paris Report