I've been busily researching and following links suggested by so many fellow travelers, and have started to rough out a plan for our trip this summer. DH and I will be traveling with our two sons, ages 17 and 15. They are fairly experienced travelers after trekking through Italy last summer. Nothing has been booked yet, and I know I have to move quickly so any guidance would be most welcome.
Here's my first thought:
-Fly into Brussels, and either stay 1 night there before heading to Bruges for 2 nights, or just take a train to Bruges and stay 2 nights. (Leaning toward just going straight to Bruges, unless people really feel Brussels deserves a night)
-Train to Paris, stay 4-5 nights.
-Train to Loire Valley to see chateaux, or just rent a car somehow in Paris (this would seem challenging) and drive to the Loire Valley. Stay 2 nights or so
-Train to Avignon, rent car at station (we've done this before) then drive to St. Remy de Provence. Stay in St Remy for 6 nights or so, using as a base to see various towns and sites.
-Somehow get a train to Geneva and take another train to Vevey. We'd probably stay 3 nights in Vevey, since we've never been to Switzerland. We could do a little touring around the area.
The reason for going to Geneva is to save on our flights. Even with train fare estimates, it looks like we'd save about $500+ by flying home from Geneva. However, not sure if it would really be less expensive when figuring other costs of touring through Switzerland. This is where I really need some help.
Would people recommend that we omit the Switzerland leg of the trip and just fly home from Nice? We could spend a couple of nights in St Paul de Vence (loved it a couple of years ago), or somewhere else in Nice.
As you can see, this is all still in the beginning stages. Please let me know if you'd spend more or less time in any of these places. I'm so grateful for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Christmas in Dresden 2017
- 2 Pompei, Naples and...Sorrento?
- 3 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 4 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 5 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 6 Ger’s Italian Trip Report: Padua, Ferrara, Siena, Perugia and Florence
- 7 Milan or Turin
- 8 London flat rental: the more I research, the more frustrating it becomes
- 9 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 10 Barcelona alternative
- 11 Paris to Italy
- 12 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 13 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 14 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 15 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 16 Apple Pay on London Transit
- 17 Iceland early december visit
- 18 Frankfurt to UK
- 19 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 20 God Save the Queen?
- 21 Road trip with our dog
- 22 9 Days in Spain
- 23 Visiting Plitivce National Park
- 24 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 25 Spanish Medical Providers
Seize the Day trip rough itinerary: can you help smooth it out?