I've been busily researching and following links suggested by so many fellow travelers, and have started to rough out a plan for our trip this summer. DH and I will be traveling with our two sons, ages 17 and 15. They are fairly experienced travelers after trekking through Italy last summer. Nothing has been booked yet, and I know I have to move quickly so any guidance would be most welcome.
Here's my first thought:
-Fly into Brussels, and either stay 1 night there before heading to Bruges for 2 nights, or just take a train to Bruges and stay 2 nights. (Leaning toward just going straight to Bruges, unless people really feel Brussels deserves a night)
-Train to Paris, stay 4-5 nights.
-Train to Loire Valley to see chateaux, or just rent a car somehow in Paris (this would seem challenging) and drive to the Loire Valley. Stay 2 nights or so
-Train to Avignon, rent car at station (we've done this before) then drive to St. Remy de Provence. Stay in St Remy for 6 nights or so, using as a base to see various towns and sites.
-Somehow get a train to Geneva and take another train to Vevey. We'd probably stay 3 nights in Vevey, since we've never been to Switzerland. We could do a little touring around the area.
The reason for going to Geneva is to save on our flights. Even with train fare estimates, it looks like we'd save about $500+ by flying home from Geneva. However, not sure if it would really be less expensive when figuring other costs of touring through Switzerland. This is where I really need some help.
Would people recommend that we omit the Switzerland leg of the trip and just fly home from Nice? We could spend a couple of nights in St Paul de Vence (loved it a couple of years ago), or somewhere else in Nice.
As you can see, this is all still in the beginning stages. Please let me know if you'd spend more or less time in any of these places. I'm so grateful for any advice!
Seize the Day trip rough itinerary: can you help smooth it out?
- 1 ITALY IN 6 WEEKS
- 2 France, Spain, Italy and a hint of Switzerland
- 3 Banking for semester in London; what to do US students do?
- 4 5 days in Granada - Seville?
- 5 Revised itinerary needs approval
- 6 Castle "ruins" Tirol, Austria, Bavaria, Switzerland ?
- 7 Common practice to provide passport copies for apartment rental in Venice?
- 8 Train travel in Europe
- 9 Need advice - Context Tours for Gallery Borghese & Vatican
- 10 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 11 Eurostar/Raileurope Advance Booking
- 12 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 13 Prague Main Train Station
- 14 Need advice Best European city for New Year celebration
- 15 Belgium/Holland or Germany: Please help!
- 16 When to visit Provence updated info
- 17 Purchasing SNCF Tickets
- 18 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 19 recommended airport transfer in rome italy
- 20 Itinerary Questions
- 21 Honeymoon to Greece in June 2014. Santorini, Crete, Mykonos, Rodes
- 22 Medieval Tallinn
- 23 Italian language schools
- 24 Thermal Bathing in Sciacca, Sicily
- 25 Le Marche and Rome - Part 2 - Urbino