My wife and I are planning a trip to Croatia, Slovenia and maybe Bosnia/Herzegovina leaving Minneapolis on Sept 30, 2013, coming home on Oct 16 (maybe flying into Zagreb). We are just at the beginning our research and we are hoping to get a little advice about areas to concentrate on. We are not at all into resorts, we are moderately budget conscious (want to enjoy ourselves but we’re not rich), pretty adventurous, love reasonably rugged hiking in beautiful areas, exploring small villages and to a lesser extent seeing the sights of larger cities. We like to be spontaneous, so we are open to renting a car for all or part of the trip. We are comfortable with not having a rigid itinerary, and prefer to have some flexibility to decide where we want to go, exploring to find nice places to eat and sleep. That said, we like to have the basics of a plan to be sure we are not just floundering around and wasting valuable time. Also, we like to go about things at a relaxed pace. We don’t want to be rushed. Can anyone make any recommendations from the general (such as regions to concentrate on) to the specific (such as best car rental companies, great hotels, neat small towns, etc)? Thanks so much in advance.
Seeking thoughts on a trip to Croatia
View all Europe activity »
- 1 To Paris and Provence in June
- 2 rent car / Munich
- 3 Family European winter holiday
- 4 Gift/Travel Cards for Spain?
- 5 How much time to allow from ETA at LHR for car service booking?
- 6 French café offers discounts to customers who remember their "Bonjour"
- 7 How to get from airport to Venice city
- 8 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 9 Taxi Availability from Bus Station
- 10 Channel Islands
- 11 question for bank of montreal customers - withdrawing in paris/europe
- 12 2 Week European Itinerary
- 13 Itinerary Help: Amsterdam-Zurich/Basel-Geneva in 10 days?
- 14 Dresden Train Station
- 15 15 Day Europe Trip - Mix of rail and car.. Cost ineffective?
- 16 2 wk Europe Trip Advice
- 17 Geneva-Verbier-Zurich
- 18 London's Proposed New Airport...
- 19 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 20 Euro Train
- 21 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 22 7 days in Italy over Christmas - transportation and itinerary suggestion?
- 23 Chambermaid tipping
- 24 TGV and Provence questions
- 25 Budget (or at least Somewhat Inexpensive) Lodging in Bologna