Myself, my father (80), and daughter (23), will be going on one of the Danube river cruises at the end of July and are seeking suggestions for an additional 5 days in Europe once our ship arrives in Budapest. We would love to spend time in the Salzkammergut or Austrian Alps. We are looking for a quaint, picturesque, "off the beaten path" sort of lake/mountain village, accessible by train, and with only a short taxi ride from the stations in Salzburg or Innsbruck to facilitate easier day trips.
As for activities, we love to interact with the locals and explore their restaurants, bars, and idyllic scenery. My father is elderly, so we are not overly interested in hiking or biking; however, we would love to take one the beautiful mountain cable car rides we have heard so much about.
Can anyone provide suggestions on their favorite towns/places to stay in these areas?
Thanks so much!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trek through Eur
- 2 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 3 Budapest in December 2017
- 4 Amsterdam hotels
- 5 Denmark or Sweden?
- 6 Croatia Itinerary Help
- 7 Car Rental in France (Insurance + Add'l Driver Questions?)
- 8 Europe itinerary questions
- 9 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 10 Italy Sept 26-Oct 6 2017
- 11 Paris hotels
- 12 London Hotels
- 13 Flying into Copenhagen (1st trip to Europe)
- 14 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 15 We're here!
- 16 Has anyone rented from Allinclusive! Rent a Car ?
- 17 Norway, Sweden, Denmark
- 18 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 19 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 20 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 21 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 22 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 23 Which airport for Bellagio?
- 24 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 25 Where to weekend away from Frankfurt
Seeking suggestions on Eastern Alps/Salzberg/Innsbruck trip