Myself, my father (80), and daughter (23), will be going on one of the Danube river cruises at the end of July and are seeking suggestions for an additional 5 days in Europe once our ship arrives in Budapest. We would love to spend time in the Salzkammergut or Austrian Alps. We are looking for a quaint, picturesque, "off the beaten path" sort of lake/mountain village, accessible by train, and with only a short taxi ride from the stations in Salzburg or Innsbruck to facilitate easier day trips.
As for activities, we love to interact with the locals and explore their restaurants, bars, and idyllic scenery. My father is elderly, so we are not overly interested in hiking or biking; however, we would love to take one the beautiful mountain cable car rides we have heard so much about.
Can anyone provide suggestions on their favorite towns/places to stay in these areas?
Thanks so much!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 England + France 12-day itinerary
- 2 Trip Report - 19 Days in Portugal
- 3 Bordeaux, la Rochelle, Toulouse & Garonne-by bike, self-drive boat & car
- 4 Seeking advice on apt rental
- 5 London Restaurants
- 6 Transportation Question Italy
- 7 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 8 Cinqueterre
- 9 Germany deregistration
- 10 Spain: 16-17 day itinerary help please
- 11 Spain: 2 versions of a new itinerary. Please help me figure this out.
- 12 14 nights france and Italy with kids - Help fine tuning the itinerary
- 13 One day in Lille, France
- 14 Short trip through Andalusia - help w/ 2 itinerary choices
- 15 Versailles - Much More than the Palace!
- 16 Train from Charles de Gaulle
- 17 Corsica
- 18 CDG to Marais transfer
- 19 Portugal In A Week-The Places You'd Go Back To
- 20 London best location
- 21 Getting from Ravello to Venice
- 22 Croatia with trips to Mostar & Bay of Kotar
- 23 Alhambra advance tickets - how far in advance?
- 24 Ger's September 2014 Trip Report to Galicia and Portugal
- 25 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
Seeking suggestions on Eastern Alps/Salzberg/Innsbruck trip