Myself, my father (80), and daughter (23), will be going on one of the Danube river cruises at the end of July and are seeking suggestions for an additional 5 days in Europe once our ship arrives in Budapest. We would love to spend time in the Salzkammergut or Austrian Alps. We are looking for a quaint, picturesque, "off the beaten path" sort of lake/mountain village, accessible by train, and with only a short taxi ride from the stations in Salzburg or Innsbruck to facilitate easier day trips.
As for activities, we love to interact with the locals and explore their restaurants, bars, and idyllic scenery. My father is elderly, so we are not overly interested in hiking or biking; however, we would love to take one the beautiful mountain cable car rides we have heard so much about.
Can anyone provide suggestions on their favorite towns/places to stay in these areas?
Thanks so much!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Parma/strasbourg or frankfurt???
- 2 vegetarian in spain
- 3 Springtime (Hopefully) in Copenhagen
- 4 Madrid Hotel; Europa, Preciados or Petit Palace Posada de Peine?
- 5 How early in the spring to visit London & England?
- 6 Transferring from LCY to LHR . PLEASE HELP
- 7 Driving from Munich to Barcelona
- 8 Provence best farmstays!!??
- 9 Houses, Gardens & Walking in England
- 10 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 11 Rome neighborhoods equivalent to arrondissements 6 and 7 in Paris?
- 12 Madrid airport question
- 13 Overnight in Montpellier?
- 14 June Festivals in Lisbon?
- 15 4 Nights - Bern/Grindelwald / Interlaken / Lucerne
- 16 question on Barcelona itinerary
- 17 Imbros Gorge
- 18 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 19 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 20 Suggestions needed for our trip to Austria & Switzerland in October
- 21 Sunday and Monday in Provence area
- 22 Alitalia - Groundhog Day?
- 23 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 24 Corpus Christi in Toledo?
- 25 38 Days in Paris
Seeking suggestions on Eastern Alps/Salzberg/Innsbruck trip