Myself, my father (80), and daughter (23), will be going on one of the Danube river cruises at the end of July and are seeking suggestions for an additional 5 days in Europe once our ship arrives in Budapest. We would love to spend time in the Salzkammergut or Austrian Alps. We are looking for a quaint, picturesque, "off the beaten path" sort of lake/mountain village, accessible by train, and with only a short taxi ride from the stations in Salzburg or Innsbruck to facilitate easier day trips.
As for activities, we love to interact with the locals and explore their restaurants, bars, and idyllic scenery. My father is elderly, so we are not overly interested in hiking or biking; however, we would love to take one the beautiful mountain cable car rides we have heard so much about.
Can anyone provide suggestions on their favorite towns/places to stay in these areas?
Thanks so much!!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Globus Iberian Tour
- 2 Journees du patrimonie 2017
- 3 Looking for a UK coach tour company for seniors
- 4 Estonia, Finland, and Iceland: Summer 2017
- 5 A bit overwhelmed!!!
- 6 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 7 NOTICE: Disruption on the railway line Mannheim-Basel
- 8 Athens hotel with Acropolis view from room/balcony
- 9 UK in May and June
- 10 Spain: train/rental car help
- 11 First time to Spain: Seville & Madrid
- 12 Paris Metro Entrances. How to find?
- 13 good restaurants in Budapest
- 14 London GTG - early Oct are you available?
- 15 Best coffeeshop in Amsterdam for a noob?
- 16 Wales
- 17 Drive or Train from Zurich to Florence?
- 18 Cash and Czech Crowns
- 19 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 20 Request Hotel Suggestion in London
- 21 Help with 12 day UK Itinerary!
- 22 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 23 Alhambra
- 24 Shorts in South of France?
- 25 Scilly Islands --Abbey Gardens --Tresco
Seeking suggestions on Eastern Alps/Salzberg/Innsbruck trip