I’ve developed a tentative plan for a 24-day trip to various parts of western France and would greatly appreciate your comments. My goal is to have a diverse range of experiences with cities and towns, different styles of art and architecture, varied natural scenery, etc. The trip is to occur this coming May, and I think I’m going to love it!
A bit about me: I enjoy art, architecture, museums, castles, churches, picturesque villages, relics/ruins, parks and gardens, natural scenery, brief stops in markets (mostly to take a few pictures), food and wine, and the chance to see and experience other parts of the world. I don't particularly like shopping, although I buy gifts for family and friends when I travel. I visited Paris once, many years ago, but have not been anywhere else in France. I’m a woman and will be traveling solo. I don’t speak French, but will do my best to learn at least a few basics before I go.
I think of an itinerary as a guideline, not a checklist or set of rules. I plan to reserve accommodations in advance, but am otherwise happy to change my plans in the face of whim or circumstance. Nonetheless, I don’t want to start with unrealistic plans. I think – hope! – this is an feasible, if ambitious, itinerary. I want to take full advantage of the time I have to see and experience things (except that I don’t like getting up at the crack of dawn). I don’t mind changing hotels every night or so. I’m not specifically seeking relaxation – I’m sure I’ll find relaxing over dinners sufficient for my needs.
I welcome any thoughts you have about this itinerary and ways to improve it.
Day 1 – overnight flight from the U.S. (east coast)
Day 2 – arrive in Paris mid-day
Days 3 – 7 – visit Paris, with a day trip to Chartres
Day 8 – Pick up a rental car in either Paris or Vernon and then visit Giverny, the Chateau Gaillard in Les Andelys, and possibly the Abbeye de Jumieges; overnight in Rouen
Day 9 – Visit Rouen and then move on to Honfleur
Day 10 – Visit Honfleur and Bayeux; reach Mont St. Michel in the early evening
Day 11 – Visit Mont St. Michel and (if time permits) Fougeres, reach Dinan in the early evening
Day 12 – Visit Dinan, St Malo (just to walk the ramparts), perhaps Dinard (for the view of St. Malo), Cap Frehel and Ploumanach (both brief stops to appreciate the views); reach Morlaix by early evening
Day 13 – Visit St. Thegonnec and Guimiliau, then Carnac; reach Vannes by early evening
Day 14 – Visit Vannes and (if time permits) Josselin, visit the tapestries in Angers; reach Fontevraud by early evening
Day 15 – Visit the Abbey in Fontevraud, then the Chateau de Chenonceau; reach Bourges by early evening
Day 16 – Visit Bourges, move on to Poitiers by early evening
Day 17 – Visit Poitiers and St. Savin; reach Domme (or another town in the Dordogne near there) by early evening (staying in Domme or nearby for 3 nights)
Day 18 (a Sunday) – Market in St. Cyprien, gabarre ride along the Dordogne, Beynac, Castelnaud, Les Milandes, and La Roque Gageac
Day 19 – the Vezere Valley — Les Eyziers de Tayac, Font de Baume, Village Troglodytique de la Madeline, La Roque St. Christophe, St. Leon sur Vezere, Lescaux II
Day 20 – Martel, Carennac, and Gouffre de Padirac; stay in Rocamadour
Day 21 – Figeac, drive along Cele River, and Pech Merle caves; overnight in (the controversial) St. Cirq Lapopie
Day 22 – St. Antonin Noble Val, Penne, Bruniquel, Cordes sur Ciel, and Castelnau de Montmiral; reach Albi by early evening
Day 23 – Visit Albi, go on to Toulouse mid-day (and spend the night there)
Day 24 – Flight from Toulouse to the U.S.
Thanks to all of you who have already shared information so generously on this forum and thanks in advance for any insights you can offer as I develop my plans.
Seeking Diverse Experiences in Western France – Please Critique Itinerary!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 2 Photography Trip Ideas in Eastern Europe
- 3 Walking and Hiking around Nice
- 4 Crete, Santorini, Naxos, Mykonos, Athens
- 5 ...Got a speeding ticket in Spain...
- 6 How late is too late for a trip report?
- 7 Scandinavian tour - first time!
- 8 Walkers Haute Route, TMB, etc. closed until June 2015
- 9 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 10 Where to go in France mid July?
- 11 A trip into the neonatal ward of Western civilization
- 12 Help with England/Wales tour
- 13 Has anyone rented an apartment through Honeymoon in Paris?
- 14 Cruise the River Shannon
- 15 Is Venice really dirty?
- 16 My trip to Paris and Normandy June 2014
- 17 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 18 Ireland or Scotland
- 19 Croatia, Slovenia, Salzburg and Prague 3 week Trip Report
- 20 Italy in October 2015
- 21 When Christmas markets of 2014 are going to start in Tyrol in Austrian part
- 22 Italy and Croatia
- 23 Help with Southern France & Italy Itinerary
- 24 1,000,001 Steps: Ups and Downs in Greece for 3 Weeks
- 25 Need Advice: 12 Days in Europe