I’ve developed a tentative plan for a 24-day trip to various parts of western France and would greatly appreciate your comments. My goal is to have a diverse range of experiences with cities and towns, different styles of art and architecture, varied natural scenery, etc. The trip is to occur this coming May, and I think I’m going to love it!
A bit about me: I enjoy art, architecture, museums, castles, churches, picturesque villages, relics/ruins, parks and gardens, natural scenery, brief stops in markets (mostly to take a few pictures), food and wine, and the chance to see and experience other parts of the world. I don't particularly like shopping, although I buy gifts for family and friends when I travel. I visited Paris once, many years ago, but have not been anywhere else in France. I’m a woman and will be traveling solo. I don’t speak French, but will do my best to learn at least a few basics before I go.
I think of an itinerary as a guideline, not a checklist or set of rules. I plan to reserve accommodations in advance, but am otherwise happy to change my plans in the face of whim or circumstance. Nonetheless, I don’t want to start with unrealistic plans. I think – hope! – this is an feasible, if ambitious, itinerary. I want to take full advantage of the time I have to see and experience things (except that I don’t like getting up at the crack of dawn). I don’t mind changing hotels every night or so. I’m not specifically seeking relaxation – I’m sure I’ll find relaxing over dinners sufficient for my needs.
I welcome any thoughts you have about this itinerary and ways to improve it.
Day 1 – overnight flight from the U.S. (east coast)
Day 2 – arrive in Paris mid-day
Days 3 – 7 – visit Paris, with a day trip to Chartres
Day 8 – Pick up a rental car in either Paris or Vernon and then visit Giverny, the Chateau Gaillard in Les Andelys, and possibly the Abbeye de Jumieges; overnight in Rouen
Day 9 – Visit Rouen and then move on to Honfleur
Day 10 – Visit Honfleur and Bayeux; reach Mont St. Michel in the early evening
Day 11 – Visit Mont St. Michel and (if time permits) Fougeres, reach Dinan in the early evening
Day 12 – Visit Dinan, St Malo (just to walk the ramparts), perhaps Dinard (for the view of St. Malo), Cap Frehel and Ploumanach (both brief stops to appreciate the views); reach Morlaix by early evening
Day 13 – Visit St. Thegonnec and Guimiliau, then Carnac; reach Vannes by early evening
Day 14 – Visit Vannes and (if time permits) Josselin, visit the tapestries in Angers; reach Fontevraud by early evening
Day 15 – Visit the Abbey in Fontevraud, then the Chateau de Chenonceau; reach Bourges by early evening
Day 16 – Visit Bourges, move on to Poitiers by early evening
Day 17 – Visit Poitiers and St. Savin; reach Domme (or another town in the Dordogne near there) by early evening (staying in Domme or nearby for 3 nights)
Day 18 (a Sunday) – Market in St. Cyprien, gabarre ride along the Dordogne, Beynac, Castelnaud, Les Milandes, and La Roque Gageac
Day 19 – the Vezere Valley — Les Eyziers de Tayac, Font de Baume, Village Troglodytique de la Madeline, La Roque St. Christophe, St. Leon sur Vezere, Lescaux II
Day 20 – Martel, Carennac, and Gouffre de Padirac; stay in Rocamadour
Day 21 – Figeac, drive along Cele River, and Pech Merle caves; overnight in (the controversial) St. Cirq Lapopie
Day 22 – St. Antonin Noble Val, Penne, Bruniquel, Cordes sur Ciel, and Castelnau de Montmiral; reach Albi by early evening
Day 23 – Visit Albi, go on to Toulouse mid-day (and spend the night there)
Day 24 – Flight from Toulouse to the U.S.
Thanks to all of you who have already shared information so generously on this forum and thanks in advance for any insights you can offer as I develop my plans.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Searching for beach town in Amalfi area for summer holiday
- 2 European Championship
- 3 Can't go to Ravello so....where?
- 4 Honeymoon hotel in Montreux/Vevey
- 5 ATM skimmer - good example of a traveler finding one in Vienna
- 6 Charles De Gualle Airport, Paris to Eiffel Tower
- 7 Quaint Towns within 2hr Driving from Amsterdam
- 8 Normandy - driving trip
- 9 4 weeks in Italy July with children
- 10 4 days driving holiday to rural North England.
- 11 Best/Most Scenic Route to Annecy, France from Amsterdam
- 12 12 days, which 4 cities?
- 13 Travel Pass Suggestion
- 14 Need help with Ligurian/CT itinerary
- 15 Will July 23 Become England's Independence Day?
- 16 Getting from Gare de L'Est to Gare de Lyon
- 17 Reflections on our Trip to Barcelona, Languedoc, Dordogne and Paris
- 18 sim card
- 19 Dr Manahel Thabet- Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 20 Happy accidents ,undiscovered gems -London, Paris
- 21 Any experience with these three private guides for the Alhambra?
- 22 Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids
- 23 Elbe Bike Trip 2 with a nasty end
- 24 Things I Learned in 3 Weeks in southern Ireland
- 25 Switzerland Itinerary - cheese making?
Seeking Diverse Experiences in Western France – Please Critique Itinerary!