I am a male Canadian traveler writing today to seek advice on which neighborhood/where to stay in Rome this October with my 80 year old grandmother. She is a sweet, loving and spry lady who has never had the opportunity to travel outside of Canada. I studied in Rome for a summer during my undergrad and I wanted to share some of the incredible sights and experiences of the city with her, so I am taking her on the trip of a lifetime for her birthday! She is also a devout Catholic, so this journey will have immense spiritual significance.
Traveling with her to Rome poses obvious risks and setbacks. Her knees aren’t in the best shape, and she has a bad allergy to cigarette smoke, but aside from that she has a great deal of vigor and vitality for someone her age.
With that said, Rome is a smoky place with lots of cobblestones, stairs, and walking is the primary mode of transportation. In short, perhaps not the most hospitable place for someone like her. The best I can do is try to find a good place and area to stay so if there are days when she needs to rest, she isn’t missing out on experiencing the city. Because of that, I think a vacation rental would be ideal rather than a hotel or B&B.
It’s been a few years since I visited Rome, and I am trying to figure out what the best neighbourhood to stay is. Cost is not a big issue, I just need a good area to stay that we can reach major locations on foot or by car. Ideally somewhat less busy, but a beautiful area with some nice things to do within or close by. Perhaps closer to the Vactican area than the forum and collosseum as her interests lie more with the former. I’ve considered Trastevere, Campo di Fiori, Foro Boario, West of Piazza Navona, and a couple other spots but I don’t truly know enough about the city to make a call. Any help would be sincerely appreciated, thank you so much.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 1 month in Europe
- 2 토요경륜예상‷ ＼［ ＫＯ５５０.ZE.AM ］ ＼‷토요경륜예상
- 3 London Hotels
- 4 일요경륜예상＼［^＝ ＫＯ５５０.ZE.AM ＝^ ］＼일요경륜예상
- 5 대박경정ఝ¬↑ ＫＯ５５０.ZE.AM ↓¬య대박경정
- 6 Paris hotels
- 7 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 8 London-Help Me Spend Money
- 9 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 10 Paris and London Christmas / NY EVE
- 11 Is winter nice season to visit Hallstatt, Austria ?
- 12 Back from Paris
- 13 Omonia metro to Piraeus
- 14 5 days near Munich, Germany in late-May
- 15 10 days in Paris and......
- 16 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 17 LIsbon
- 18 Norway, Sweden, Denmark
- 19 After Beaune, need suggestions for the next 10 days
- 20 Iceland in 7 days.
- 21 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 22 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #139
- 23 Mont St. Michel in winter
- 24 Luggage Storage
- 25 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?