I am a male Canadian traveler writing today to seek advice on which neighborhood/where to stay in Rome this October with my 80 year old grandmother. She is a sweet, loving and spry lady who has never had the opportunity to travel outside of Canada. I studied in Rome for a summer during my undergrad and I wanted to share some of the incredible sights and experiences of the city with her, so I am taking her on the trip of a lifetime for her birthday! She is also a devout Catholic, so this journey will have immense spiritual significance.
Traveling with her to Rome poses obvious risks and setbacks. Her knees aren’t in the best shape, and she has a bad allergy to cigarette smoke, but aside from that she has a great deal of vigor and vitality for someone her age.
With that said, Rome is a smoky place with lots of cobblestones, stairs, and walking is the primary mode of transportation. In short, perhaps not the most hospitable place for someone like her. The best I can do is try to find a good place and area to stay so if there are days when she needs to rest, she isn’t missing out on experiencing the city. Because of that, I think a vacation rental would be ideal rather than a hotel or B&B.
It’s been a few years since I visited Rome, and I am trying to figure out what the best neighbourhood to stay is. Cost is not a big issue, I just need a good area to stay that we can reach major locations on foot or by car. Ideally somewhat less busy, but a beautiful area with some nice things to do within or close by. Perhaps closer to the Vactican area than the forum and collosseum as her interests lie more with the former. I’ve considered Trastevere, Campo di Fiori, Foro Boario, West of Piazza Navona, and a couple other spots but I don’t truly know enough about the city to make a call. Any help would be sincerely appreciated, thank you so much.
Seeing Rome with an 80 year old Grandmother
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Just starting to ponder a family trip to Iceland...
- 2 Transportation from Airport in Reykjavik to downtown hotel
- 3 Trip to Italy with teenagers
- 4 SIM card for eastern europe
- 5 Foie gras, redux
- 6 Cooking classes in Belgium
- 7 Back from Budapest- Report Including Eger, Szentendre and London
- 8 Southern France
- 9 The Times reveals secret best beaches: mediterranean
- 10 Advance Tickest from Piraeus to Islands?
- 11 West Ireland with 81 year old mother - Pls Review Itinerary
- 12 italy
- 13 Any experience with Cave Lodging in Loire Valley?
- 14 3 AM Arrival in Santorini OK?
- 15 London in 3 days! Help with lodging, please!
- 16 Two weeks in Paris ... how to fill?
- 17 Portugal with a 3 year old and 1 year old
- 18 Advice on Two Week Itinerary Please! (London,Paris,Luxembourg,Brussels)
- 19 Naxos Island: Best Way to Get Around?
- 20 Which town to stay at in Lake Como?
- 21 What to wear
- 22 What still confounds you about travel?
- 23 Florence & Rome Itinerary, hotel, tour co. critique please!
- 24 Any experiences with Airbnb?
- 25 Venice, April 2014. Some thoughts ...