I am a male Canadian traveler writing today to seek advice on which neighborhood/where to stay in Rome this October with my 80 year old grandmother. She is a sweet, loving and spry lady who has never had the opportunity to travel outside of Canada. I studied in Rome for a summer during my undergrad and I wanted to share some of the incredible sights and experiences of the city with her, so I am taking her on the trip of a lifetime for her birthday! She is also a devout Catholic, so this journey will have immense spiritual significance.
Traveling with her to Rome poses obvious risks and setbacks. Her knees aren’t in the best shape, and she has a bad allergy to cigarette smoke, but aside from that she has a great deal of vigor and vitality for someone her age.
With that said, Rome is a smoky place with lots of cobblestones, stairs, and walking is the primary mode of transportation. In short, perhaps not the most hospitable place for someone like her. The best I can do is try to find a good place and area to stay so if there are days when she needs to rest, she isn’t missing out on experiencing the city. Because of that, I think a vacation rental would be ideal rather than a hotel or B&B.
It’s been a few years since I visited Rome, and I am trying to figure out what the best neighbourhood to stay is. Cost is not a big issue, I just need a good area to stay that we can reach major locations on foot or by car. Ideally somewhat less busy, but a beautiful area with some nice things to do within or close by. Perhaps closer to the Vactican area than the forum and collosseum as her interests lie more with the former. I’ve considered Trastevere, Campo di Fiori, Foro Boario, West of Piazza Navona, and a couple other spots but I don’t truly know enough about the city to make a call. Any help would be sincerely appreciated, thank you so much.
Seeing Rome with an 80 year old Grandmother
- 1 Cyprus in December
- 2 Cyprus photo gallery
- 3 Venice 3 days Itinerary.
- 4 Favorite cities/towns in Cyprus?
- 5 Cycling and wine-tasting through Italy, Slovenia and Croatia
- 6 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 7 Which travel plan?
- 8 Florence in October
- 9 first european holiday itinery
- 10 To Paris and Provence in June
- 11 Family European winter holiday
- 12 Looking for a serviced apartment in York
- 13 Vespa Tours of Tuscany
- 14 Advises for trip to Russia
- 15 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 16 Venice passes....confusing as heck!
- 17 Northern Italy Honeymoon- Alps and Italian Favorites
- 18 Best option for Dollars to Euros for apartment payment"
- 19 Car in Prague
- 20 Solo Female First Time Traveler - Scared to Death
- 21 Planning a holiday
- 22 Euro Train
- 23 Travelling to Amalfi Coast in April 2014
- 24 San Sebastian and 2 day trips into France...lodging and places to see
- 25 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.