I am a male Canadian traveler writing today to seek advice on which neighborhood/where to stay in Rome this October with my 80 year old grandmother. She is a sweet, loving and spry lady who has never had the opportunity to travel outside of Canada. I studied in Rome for a summer during my undergrad and I wanted to share some of the incredible sights and experiences of the city with her, so I am taking her on the trip of a lifetime for her birthday! She is also a devout Catholic, so this journey will have immense spiritual significance.
Traveling with her to Rome poses obvious risks and setbacks. Her knees aren’t in the best shape, and she has a bad allergy to cigarette smoke, but aside from that she has a great deal of vigor and vitality for someone her age.
With that said, Rome is a smoky place with lots of cobblestones, stairs, and walking is the primary mode of transportation. In short, perhaps not the most hospitable place for someone like her. The best I can do is try to find a good place and area to stay so if there are days when she needs to rest, she isn’t missing out on experiencing the city. Because of that, I think a vacation rental would be ideal rather than a hotel or B&B.
It’s been a few years since I visited Rome, and I am trying to figure out what the best neighbourhood to stay is. Cost is not a big issue, I just need a good area to stay that we can reach major locations on foot or by car. Ideally somewhat less busy, but a beautiful area with some nice things to do within or close by. Perhaps closer to the Vactican area than the forum and collosseum as her interests lie more with the former. I’ve considered Trastevere, Campo di Fiori, Foro Boario, West of Piazza Navona, and a couple other spots but I don’t truly know enough about the city to make a call. Any help would be sincerely appreciated, thank you so much.
Seeing Rome with an 80 year old Grandmother
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 2 nights in Venice - what restaurants should we not miss?
- 2 cell phone usage in Italy (US)
- 3 Best data sim
- 4 MADRID--Restaurants, & tapas bars--please advise!
- 5 Spain (Practical) Trip Report
- 6 Madrid has much less to offer than Barcelona...
- 7 Weekend in London; looking for the best Indian food
- 8 suggested 9 day itinerary in Europe - Valentines Day!
- 9 MXP to Dolomites--Where To Stay In Between
- 10 Tickets for premier league and England games
- 11 Last minute ideas anyone?
- 12 Need help on Drive from Granada to Sevilla
- 13 first family trip to Switzerland
- 14 Driving Zagreb-Budapest-Vienna-Prague
- 15 Getting from Zagreb to Vienna to Cesky Krumlov to Prague, etc.
- 16 Trouble deciding between backpack or wheeled luggage
- 17 Family Vacation Mallorca
- 18 the best of italy?
- 19 Madrid Apartment Rentals
- 20 Malaga – Enjoying a Spanish vibe on the Costa del Sol
- 21 Alterations to night trains routes
- 22 Is 5000 miles realistic in 14-16 days?
- 23 3 adults in a Triple room at Hotel Attalos- crazy?
- 24 So much to do, so little time!
- 25 Belgium, Germany, Netherlands