I am a male Canadian traveler writing today to seek advice on which neighborhood/where to stay in Rome this October with my 80 year old grandmother. She is a sweet, loving and spry lady who has never had the opportunity to travel outside of Canada. I studied in Rome for a summer during my undergrad and I wanted to share some of the incredible sights and experiences of the city with her, so I am taking her on the trip of a lifetime for her birthday! She is also a devout Catholic, so this journey will have immense spiritual significance.
Traveling with her to Rome poses obvious risks and setbacks. Her knees aren’t in the best shape, and she has a bad allergy to cigarette smoke, but aside from that she has a great deal of vigor and vitality for someone her age.
With that said, Rome is a smoky place with lots of cobblestones, stairs, and walking is the primary mode of transportation. In short, perhaps not the most hospitable place for someone like her. The best I can do is try to find a good place and area to stay so if there are days when she needs to rest, she isn’t missing out on experiencing the city. Because of that, I think a vacation rental would be ideal rather than a hotel or B&B.
It’s been a few years since I visited Rome, and I am trying to figure out what the best neighbourhood to stay is. Cost is not a big issue, I just need a good area to stay that we can reach major locations on foot or by car. Ideally somewhat less busy, but a beautiful area with some nice things to do within or close by. Perhaps closer to the Vactican area than the forum and collosseum as her interests lie more with the former. I’ve considered Trastevere, Campo di Fiori, Foro Boario, West of Piazza Navona, and a couple other spots but I don’t truly know enough about the city to make a call. Any help would be sincerely appreciated, thank you so much.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Globus Iberian Tour
- 2 Italy travel plan help
- 3 Heading to Amsterdam soon. Do you recommend I try weed?
- 4 Italy itinerary - input needed, please!!
- 5 Florence hotels: JK Place vs. Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni
- 6 23 day honeymoon to Greece
- 7 Looking for a UK coach tour company for seniors
- 8 Copenhagen,Helsinki,St. Petersburg in mid September
- 9 Getting from Bordeaux Gare to the airport
- 10 Adivice from experts please, Southern Dutch/Belgium German Borders
- 11 Help Needed for 8/20: Train from Salzburg to Garmisch
- 12 Black Forest base 7-10 days - public transport
- 13 Shorts in South of France?
- 14 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 15 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 16 Loire Valley best place to linger
- 17 Journees du patrimonie 2017
- 18 First trip to the UK, please help me
- 19 Poland to Austria In December
- 20 Alsace to Austria?
- 21 Wales
- 22 Paris in early august
- 23 Posting Packages from Central Europe
- 24 How to spend 6 days in Stockholm ?
- 25 For Paris-knowledgable - best neighborhood to stay a week-plus