I am from India and wish to plan a trip to see the northern lights this winter.
We are in the intial stages of planning and need suggestions:
Time of travel : Sep to Dec 13 (can change based on suggestions)
Duration: 9 to 15 days.
No of people:2 adults.
Country: Norway/Sweden/Finland. [Alaska,Canada,Iceland etc are ruled out]
I have done some research based on which I need to know :
1)what places to choose in the above 3 countries ?
2)To reduce travel time, selecting 2 of the 3 countries might the best idea. If so, which two?
3)I have heard Norway is very expensive, is that so ?
4)Since I have no local contacts and shall be making all bookings from India, I have no idea what travel agents will be good in Norway/Sweden.
5) what should be the point of entry , if I travel from India?
I understand that spending 2 whole weeks doesnt really guarantee catching the northern lights. accepted . but would like to maximise my chnaces.
Also would like to visit a few local sights.
Please help me in planing my trip with your suggesstions ...
I shall continue with my research guided by your ideas...
See northern lights,end of 2013: Norway/Sweden/Finland
- 1 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 2 NEW TO FODORS: Suggestions/Advice for 10 days in Europe
- 3 Venice passes....confusing as heck!
- 4 Common practice to provide passport copies for apartment rental in Venice?
- 5 at last an itinerary: feedback and hotel suggestions please
- 6 Honeymoon Travel Advice Needed!
- 7 Bologna Restaurants open on Sunday?
- 8 Trip Report - Fringe Movements
- 9 Our Happy Return to Sunny Tuscany (plus a small bite of Bologna, too!)
- 10 A full week in The Netherlands
- 11 Eurostar/Raileurope Advance Booking
- 12 Photo trip report - Belgium/France/Germany
- 13 Itinerary Questions
- 14 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 15 a week in Ireland over New year's
- 16 "It Will Rain Tomorrow." England Weathers The MaiTai Four.
- 17 Banking for semester in London; what to do US students do?
- 18 A still, a hooker and a Dodo bird. Paris and Oberkirch.
- 19 Lake como
- 20 Sagrada Familia - which tower?
- 21 Castle "ruins" Tirol, Austria, Bavaria, Switzerland ?
- 22 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 23 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 24 Italy with 4 teenagers, 1 child and a husband in 18 days - thoughts?
- 25 Naples report - including staying in the centro storico