Great show repeated last night on PBS' Secrets of Underground London - things burrowed into the depths of the earth - shown are the Brunels long efforts to make a foot tunnel under the Thames - a 20 year project or so - the first day it was open thousands waltzed thru - later it was turned into an Underground (Tube) tunnel still in existence.
Other places covered:
The London Silver Vaults - the 'world's largest repository of silver originally and now a silver shopping mall with numerous small dealers burrowed far below the surface. (Chancery Lane area)
The British Museum - its addition is going on way underground so visitors to the museum today do not even realize it - new exhibit spaces and other uses.
The British Library - every book you ever wanted to lay your hands on (not 'read' in today's world) - floors and floors of stacks reaching practically to China!
The Churchill War Rooms - During WW 2 to prevent the government from not being able to safely meet during the Blitz a series of rooms again hewn out far below ground - actually only two cabinet meetings were held here the show said and after the war it was allowed to crumble - footage from the 60s I think has it looking like something like an old abandoned Detroit factory or train station. Now rebahhed it is one of London's top tourist sights. Ironically in what was the deepest safest part of the really safe complex the British Museum stashed their most famous pieces - inclding disassembling whole altars and hiding them safer here!
Anyway forlks looking for something the eye may not see from above may enjoy catching up on these and other Mysteries of Underground London.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 London is it worth it?
- 2 Montserrat Express
- 3 Help with Scotland Itinerary
- 4 Is Dalamatian Coast similar to Amalfi Coast in terms of travel logistics?
- 5 International drivers permit
- 6 Renting a car for France thru BritishAirways.com instead of AutoEurope
- 7 My thoughts go to Manchester
- 8 Places to stop/stay?
- 9 Driving Bruges to Paris. Is it worth the drive?
- 10 Solo in Paris and looking for the best neighborhood
- 11 transportation from De Gaulle airport
- 12 Allocating time in Barcelona - Gaudi tickets
- 13 Croatia, Montenegro, Slovenia Itinerary July
- 14 ATM help
- 15 Stockholm 5.5 days
- 16 Best Masseria in Puglia
- 17 Visit to Sardinia
- 18 Car Rentals in Ireland
- 19 Our recent CDG experience (Delta)
- 20 Advice on 1 day trip to Black Forest
- 21 8-days in Greece, Rhodes or Crete?
- 22 6 days in Stockholm - itinerary, questions
- 23 Help me make this possible!
- 24 Croatia Intinerary August 2017
- 25 Road Trip - Ireland, Scotland and England