Great show repeated last night on PBS' Secrets of Underground London - things burrowed into the depths of the earth - shown are the Brunels long efforts to make a foot tunnel under the Thames - a 20 year project or so - the first day it was open thousands waltzed thru - later it was turned into an Underground (Tube) tunnel still in existence.
Other places covered:
The London Silver Vaults - the 'world's largest repository of silver originally and now a silver shopping mall with numerous small dealers burrowed far below the surface. (Chancery Lane area)
The British Museum - its addition is going on way underground so visitors to the museum today do not even realize it - new exhibit spaces and other uses.
The British Library - every book you ever wanted to lay your hands on (not 'read' in today's world) - floors and floors of stacks reaching practically to China!
The Churchill War Rooms - During WW 2 to prevent the government from not being able to safely meet during the Blitz a series of rooms again hewn out far below ground - actually only two cabinet meetings were held here the show said and after the war it was allowed to crumble - footage from the 60s I think has it looking like something like an old abandoned Detroit factory or train station. Now rebahhed it is one of London's top tourist sights. Ironically in what was the deepest safest part of the really safe complex the British Museum stashed their most famous pieces - inclding disassembling whole altars and hiding them safer here!
Anyway forlks looking for something the eye may not see from above may enjoy catching up on these and other Mysteries of Underground London.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 2 Spanish Medical Providers
- 3 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 4 Train help Lyon to Annecy to Montreaux
- 5 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 6 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 7 Planning A trip
- 8 Amalfi Coast Apartment in October -- mobility an issue
- 9 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 10 Ireland with 2 young kids
- 11 Andalusia suggests - which order is best?
- 12 Norway Outside the Nutshell
- 13 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 14 Castle Stays in Wales
- 15 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 16 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 17 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 18 Question about Loire Valley châteaux
- 19 Can parking
- 20 italy Cinque Terre
- 21 San Sebastián
- 22 Lodging in Lauterbrunnen and Grindenwald in October
- 23 Zurich to Milan trip
- 24 Would like help planning a 16-21 day week trip to Spain and/or Portugal
- 25 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald