Great show repeated last night on PBS' Secrets of Underground London - things burrowed into the depths of the earth - shown are the Brunels long efforts to make a foot tunnel under the Thames - a 20 year project or so - the first day it was open thousands waltzed thru - later it was turned into an Underground (Tube) tunnel still in existence.
Other places covered:
The London Silver Vaults - the 'world's largest repository of silver originally and now a silver shopping mall with numerous small dealers burrowed far below the surface. (Chancery Lane area)
The British Museum - its addition is going on way underground so visitors to the museum today do not even realize it - new exhibit spaces and other uses.
The British Library - every book you ever wanted to lay your hands on (not 'read' in today's world) - floors and floors of stacks reaching practically to China!
The Churchill War Rooms - During WW 2 to prevent the government from not being able to safely meet during the Blitz a series of rooms again hewn out far below ground - actually only two cabinet meetings were held here the show said and after the war it was allowed to crumble - footage from the 60s I think has it looking like something like an old abandoned Detroit factory or train station. Now rebahhed it is one of London's top tourist sights. Ironically in what was the deepest safest part of the really safe complex the British Museum stashed their most famous pieces - inclding disassembling whole altars and hiding them safer here!
Anyway forlks looking for something the eye may not see from above may enjoy catching up on these and other Mysteries of Underground London.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Strasbourg! What to do, what to visit??
- 2 Windsor Castle
- 3 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 4 Flight from Athens to Santorini- is this enough time?
- 5 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 6 Individual train tickets instead of passes
- 7 base for Andalucia
- 8 14 days in Italy. Advice needed
- 9 Ideas for 10 nights in France for 1st timer
- 10 Roadtrip: France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Luxemburg
- 11 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 12 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 13 Tour Company reviews - European Graduation Trip
- 14 4 nights in Sardinia
- 15 Sabbioneta for day trip? ...or Verona?
- 16 help deciding between 2 itineraries!
- 17 Anthropology and Archeology for the Turkey Traveler
- 18 "Too Much Cows"
- 19 Matera tour guide wanted
- 20 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 21 Taxi from Linate to lecco
- 22 Moscow, Russia shopping
- 23 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 24 Alsace Wine Route during Harvest
- 25 London: Big Ben- Last Call for 4 Years...