I am zeroing in on planning one part of our Britain trip in June, following a lot of helpful comments on the first draft of the overall trip beginning in London and ending in Glasgow.
The piece below is the part from Hadrian’s Wall through the Scottish Borders (I am numbering the days as part of the overall draft):
(Days 1 – 5: London & Lakes District)
Days 6 & 7 Haltwhistle: drive from Lakes District to Haltwhistle, stay at Ashcroft B&B; today and tomorrow visit Vindolanda, Housesteads, Roman Museum, maybe drive to Langley Castle for lunch
Day 8 Alnwick: drive to Alnwick; where to stay? Visit Alnwick castle, then on morning of Day 9 Holy Isle (get out before high tide comes in around noon!), Bamburgh
Days 9&10 Melrose: around noon of Day 9 drive to Melrose and on the way see Floors or Mellerstain (I’m thinking we could not see both in that time?) Once arrived in Melrose, stay at Old Bank House or Town House? On day 10 visit Melrose Abbey, Abbotsford, and possibly Dryburgh, then drive to Traquair in mid-day of Day 11 so we have time to settle in, visit the brewery and the maze.
Day 11 Traquair: If I have engineered this correctly, this will be a Friday so we can have dinner at Traquair. They only serve dinner in season, and only on Friday and Saturday, according to their website. (We are taking Airtransat, a large Quebec charter airline, out of Montreal, and they only have flights to London and Glasgow two or three times a week in high season so I am having to juggle the calendar to fit things in.)
Day 12: drive to Galashiels, drop off rental car, take the train to Edinburgh, change for train to Glasgow. As long as I’m doing this, I might as well finish off the trip…
Arrive early afternoon in Glasgow: stay in Premier Inn. See some Mackintosh.
Day 13: at 9 a.m. leave on Rabbies Tour of “Oban, Glencoe, West Highlands Lochs and Castles,” returning to Glasgow at 7:30 pm. We’re not usually tour people, but this seems designed for small groups of 15 or less and an efficient way to take a brief look at part of the west highlands.
Day 14: fly from Glasgow back to Montreal
As always, thanks in advance for any and all ideas, suggestions, comments!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spending Money for a 30 day trip
- 2 Help / Day Planning Required ...
- 3 "Best" train route Interlaken to Salzburg
- 4 Best place to view alps from Italy
- 5 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 6 Spain and South of France
- 7 Weighing hand luggage at CDG security now
- 8 Oslo-Flam-Borgund-Balestrand in one day?
- 9 GERMANY, MID-RHINE & MUNICH
- 10 Prague itinerary advice
- 11 Vineyard recommendations near Piacenza? La Stoppa or Marchese Malaspina?
- 12 Advice needed- Sardinia or Costa Brava (again) in August
- 13 Dordogne Itinerary - Do I Need Another Day?
- 14 Positano to Maori drive or ferry and how much visiting time?
- 15 Organizing our 8 day Roman visit
- 16 Visa Free Entry To Spain
- 17 Favorite restaurants in Provence???
- 18 Following the Canadian Liberation Route in the Netherlands
- 19 5 days in the Morvan (Burgundy)
- 20 Self drive tour companies
- 21 Forte dei Marmi with kids.....
- 22 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 23 Italian lakes
- 24 Layover, not get on connecting flight
- 25 Croatia... Is dubrovnik a must?
Scottish Borders and Hadrian’s Wall – 2nd draft of Britain Trip