My husband and I are avid hikers and not the "easy" hikes but the long and challenging day ones. We are NOT backpackers, however. We have 2 weeks available next spring and are trying to decide how to best use our time. We are interested in Scotland and perhaps Ireland but are having a terrible time figuring out how to get from one destination to another , knowing, of course, that we cannot get to all or even most in that time period. Here is what interests us in Ireland: Dingle Peninsula, Kilarney National Park, Kerry Way , Skellig Michael, and Bearn Peninsula. Scotland seems to be best to island hop(??) but which ones should we 'hop" to for best sights and hikes and how much time do we lose doing this? I saw a TV program last night with Kenmare, Ireland as the backdrop and the Gap of Dunlough (sp?) Is the Gap walkable or biking necessary to do it? We have read a few things about Scotland that we'd like to to see: the birdlife of Shetland, the Road to the isles (?), Callandish Standing Stones, Cullin Hills, Old Man of Hoy, Ioana, the beaches of South Harris, West Highland Way, Glen Coe...These are all over the map I realize. Knowing of our desire to hike, which of these offer us the best opportunities to hike amid scenery. Also, we'd like to sea kayak although we'd be first timers. Help!
Scotland only or Ireland and Scotland?
- 1 Paris May 23, 2013. What should I wear in Paris?
- 2 Where to eat and visit in Barcelona + Venice June 2013
- 3 Retirement Vacation
- 4 My First Trip to Provence and Paris...Loved!!!
- 5 Amalfi, Italy hostel - recommendation for college aged traveler?
- 6 Spain and Portugal Itinerary 2 Week Vacation Help
- 7 Croatia Question: Korcula or Lastovo?
- 8 Hotel problems in Barcelona Gothic Quarter - Must Read
- 9 Daytrips to the Alps from Munich
- 10 separate beds in Frankfurt and Munich
- 11 TR Provence, Israel, Switzerland, Italy..April 16 a day of AA infamy
- 12 New & Improved 2 Week Honeymoon Itinerary Italy
- 13 8-10 Night Italy Itinerary Please Help!
- 14 Paris in 8 days ALONE
- 15 Ordering wine in Paris
- 16 Rail 1st class tickets in Germany 2nd class in Switzerland
- 17 Ennis or Shannon for last night before flying out of Shannon Airport?
- 18 Train from Barcelona to Figueras, and Figueras to Perpignan
- 19 Southern Italy Itinerary- is this do-able?
- 20 3+ week trip to Amsterdam/Germany/Prague
- 21 3 Weeks w/ 6 year old in UK (The Trip)
- 22 When to exchange US dollars to Euros
- 23 Foggia Day Trip
- 24 Cinque Terre card and train
- 25 Stay and Visit Italy/Amalfi and Grand Hotel Ischia Lido - Ischia