My husband and I are planning a trip to Scotland next summer (2014) for about 10-12 days. Our dates are flexible at this point--I'm a teacher, so we can go anytime between mid-June and mid-August.
This will be his first trip to Europe, and my first since childhood! We are excited, but a little daunted by all of the information out there. We took an amazing roadtrip in the US Southwest a few years ago and fell in love with the roadtrip style of travel: no strict schedules, masters of our own destinies, etc., so we would be happy to rent a car, though I'm a little nervous about driving on the left.
Here are our interests:
1. Interesting museums, castles, gardens
2. Highland games - We'd love to spend a day at a festival, if the timing works out
3. Beautiful scenery, nature walks, light hiking
4. Time to relax, walk around, enjoy a pint, enjoy the locals, not feel scheduled
We don't really care about whisky or golf and would be fine to skip those aspects.
We are flying from Baltimore/DC. It looks as if it's a bit cheaper to fly nonstop to London and take a train to Edinburgh or Glasgow, but I'm not sure if that's a huge PITA...should we just pay a little extra for a flight to Glasgow or Edinburgh? It would require a connection in either Reykjavik or London.
Has anyone done a trip like this? Our emphasis is on the quality of our time, not the quantity of sites. I've read so much at this point that all the info has melted in my head and I feel a bit paralyzed. I know that one person's "must-see" is another person's snooze-fest, but I'd still love to hear advice from those in the know. Any advice would be much appreciated, especially in the form of a suggested itinerary, with locations and lengths of time!
Scotland in Summer - Need Help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Christmas Market Battle: Vienna/Salzburg/Munich
- 2 Please help with Sicily Itinerary!
- 3 Tips for Chamonix in June?
- 4 Transportation ticket in Athens
- 5 Venice to ban wheeled suitcases
- 6 seeking travel tips in italy and crotia
- 7 Internet or travel agent?
- 8 Hotels and locations in Barcelona
- 9 Paris and where else?
- 10 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 11 Itinerary concerns, please help
- 12 Hotels in Amsterdam and Paris @ less than 150 euros per night
- 13 Neighbourhood for longer stay in Lisbon?
- 14 Catalonia says it's going to have an independence referendum
- 15 Aran Islands in wintertime
- 16 Paris for the First Time – Need Suggestions for a Non-touristy Experience
- 17 Beware Hotel Henry IV on Place Dauphine, Paris
- 18 Trip report of our visit to Rioja
- 19 Christmas windows in Paris
- 20 Visiting UK boyfriend
- 21 Is seventeen too young to travel to Europe?
- 22 Munich - vacation apartment rental, week after Christmas
- 23 Autumn in Paris
- 24 How long to allow for layover at CDG going from MRS to ATL
- 25 Blissful Airbnbs,Risky Segways,Vegan Tapas: Prague-Hvar-Andalucía-Madrid