My husband and I are planning a trip to Scotland next summer (2014) for about 10-12 days. Our dates are flexible at this point--I'm a teacher, so we can go anytime between mid-June and mid-August.
This will be his first trip to Europe, and my first since childhood! We are excited, but a little daunted by all of the information out there. We took an amazing roadtrip in the US Southwest a few years ago and fell in love with the roadtrip style of travel: no strict schedules, masters of our own destinies, etc., so we would be happy to rent a car, though I'm a little nervous about driving on the left.
Here are our interests:
1. Interesting museums, castles, gardens
2. Highland games - We'd love to spend a day at a festival, if the timing works out
3. Beautiful scenery, nature walks, light hiking
4. Time to relax, walk around, enjoy a pint, enjoy the locals, not feel scheduled
We don't really care about whisky or golf and would be fine to skip those aspects.
We are flying from Baltimore/DC. It looks as if it's a bit cheaper to fly nonstop to London and take a train to Edinburgh or Glasgow, but I'm not sure if that's a huge PITA...should we just pay a little extra for a flight to Glasgow or Edinburgh? It would require a connection in either Reykjavik or London.
Has anyone done a trip like this? Our emphasis is on the quality of our time, not the quantity of sites. I've read so much at this point that all the info has melted in my head and I feel a bit paralyzed. I know that one person's "must-see" is another person's snooze-fest, but I'd still love to hear advice from those in the know. Any advice would be much appreciated, especially in the form of a suggested itinerary, with locations and lengths of time!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 2 European Cooking Secrets
- 3 Planning 20th anniversary 1st trip to Italy Feb 2017.
- 4 Where to stay in Paris? So many options!
- 5 Early Spring Air Sales To Europe
- 6 London's Must Sights!
- 7 How busy are the Rhine & Mosel River Valleys in early May?
- 8 Venice & Bellagio Trip Report
- 9 20 Days in Europe
- 10 Suggestions for Drive to Milan
- 11 Just booked flight 11 nt trip to Italy, into Pisa, out from Milan
- 12 Traveling to Europe mid November - suggestions
- 13 Solo trip across Europe covering 18 countries
- 14 Will this be a problem??? - connecting flights and different airlines
- 15 TGV from Paris to Vienna?
- 16 Luggage allowance internal connection to international
- 17 Trip Report: Krakow and Warsaw
- 18 Help plan trip to Coppenhagen and Stockholm
- 19 Help deciding on how to tour England/Ireland/Scotland
- 20 Do We Need A Guide to do the Ring Road?
- 21 Europe in late January
- 22 Spain for 2 weeks in April but what parts?
- 23 Eiffel Tower Fireworks Photos July 14th
- 24 Travel vs. Babies
- 25 Lake Garda, Where to stay