My husband and I are planning a trip to Scotland next summer (2014) for about 10-12 days. Our dates are flexible at this point--I'm a teacher, so we can go anytime between mid-June and mid-August.
This will be his first trip to Europe, and my first since childhood! We are excited, but a little daunted by all of the information out there. We took an amazing roadtrip in the US Southwest a few years ago and fell in love with the roadtrip style of travel: no strict schedules, masters of our own destinies, etc., so we would be happy to rent a car, though I'm a little nervous about driving on the left.
Here are our interests:
1. Interesting museums, castles, gardens
2. Highland games - We'd love to spend a day at a festival, if the timing works out
3. Beautiful scenery, nature walks, light hiking
4. Time to relax, walk around, enjoy a pint, enjoy the locals, not feel scheduled
We don't really care about whisky or golf and would be fine to skip those aspects.
We are flying from Baltimore/DC. It looks as if it's a bit cheaper to fly nonstop to London and take a train to Edinburgh or Glasgow, but I'm not sure if that's a huge PITA...should we just pay a little extra for a flight to Glasgow or Edinburgh? It would require a connection in either Reykjavik or London.
Has anyone done a trip like this? Our emphasis is on the quality of our time, not the quantity of sites. I've read so much at this point that all the info has melted in my head and I feel a bit paralyzed. I know that one person's "must-see" is another person's snooze-fest, but I'd still love to hear advice from those in the know. Any advice would be much appreciated, especially in the form of a suggested itinerary, with locations and lengths of time!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Copenhagen,Helsinki,St. Petersburg in mid September
- 2 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 3 Where to eat in Rome?
- 4 Jamikins? Other Italy travelers? Need car info, please.
- 5 Thinking about the Fjords
- 6 Italy round 4 - Pisa/CT/Parma/Bologna/Milan
- 7 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 8 Italy travel plan help
- 9 Rest Stops from Tuscany to Umbria
- 10 Berlin - Grouping attractions by location
- 11 Alsace to Austria?
- 12 LHR Connection Time and Fast Track
- 13 Help with Spain/Portugal itinerary 33 days
- 14 Budapest language lessons
- 15 Tours in Wales
- 16 How to spend 6 days in Stockholm ?
- 17 Towns or hikes along Lake Lucerne
- 18 Loire Valley best place to linger
- 19 barcelona neighborhood
- 20 Itinerary Three Weeks Greece Fall 2018
- 21 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 22 Base in Rhine or Mosel?
- 23 Van Crashes into crowded street in Barcelona
- 24 Shorts in South of France?
- 25 Posting Packages from Central Europe