My husband and I are planning a trip to Scotland next summer (2014) for about 10-12 days. Our dates are flexible at this point--I'm a teacher, so we can go anytime between mid-June and mid-August.
This will be his first trip to Europe, and my first since childhood! We are excited, but a little daunted by all of the information out there. We took an amazing roadtrip in the US Southwest a few years ago and fell in love with the roadtrip style of travel: no strict schedules, masters of our own destinies, etc., so we would be happy to rent a car, though I'm a little nervous about driving on the left.
Here are our interests:
1. Interesting museums, castles, gardens
2. Highland games - We'd love to spend a day at a festival, if the timing works out
3. Beautiful scenery, nature walks, light hiking
4. Time to relax, walk around, enjoy a pint, enjoy the locals, not feel scheduled
We don't really care about whisky or golf and would be fine to skip those aspects.
We are flying from Baltimore/DC. It looks as if it's a bit cheaper to fly nonstop to London and take a train to Edinburgh or Glasgow, but I'm not sure if that's a huge PITA...should we just pay a little extra for a flight to Glasgow or Edinburgh? It would require a connection in either Reykjavik or London.
Has anyone done a trip like this? Our emphasis is on the quality of our time, not the quantity of sites. I've read so much at this point that all the info has melted in my head and I feel a bit paralyzed. I know that one person's "must-see" is another person's snooze-fest, but I'd still love to hear advice from those in the know. Any advice would be much appreciated, especially in the form of a suggested itinerary, with locations and lengths of time!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Once in a life time 3 month Europe Trip
- 2 PDX customs 4/28, Spokane, boyfriend in NE Portland,
- 3 If your question is "Is This Trip Crazy?"
- 4 Rome, Florence, Venice and back to Rome in 5 days...doable?
- 5 Have You Ever Been Robbed in Europe?
- 6 The unrequested appetizers in Portugal
- 7 Spain schedule - reality check please.
- 8 Feedback on Spain Trip
- 9 Shopping in Paris
- 10 April in Paris...with a Side of Bordeaux
- 11 North Carolinians Take Warning
- 12 Itin help: 14-15 days in Bavaria, Austria, possibly Croatia and Prague
- 13 Favorite restaurant on Dordogne River
- 14 Uber in Paris: OK now ?
- 15 Current Paris vacation rental news...
- 16 Chef recommendations for Villa in Cortona, Italy
- 17 Stop between Munich and Cochem (long train ride)
- 18 10 nights in France
- 19 Best Italian beach with teens
- 20 Parc Clichy-Batignolles - Martin Luther King, Tours?
- 21 Where to stop along the way
- 22 Florence and Siena Restaurants
- 23 Suggestions for our Itinerary for June in Italy
- 24 planning confusion
- 25 best shopping deals in paris and italy?