My husband and I are planning a trip to Scotland next summer (2014) for about 10-12 days. Our dates are flexible at this point--I'm a teacher, so we can go anytime between mid-June and mid-August.
This will be his first trip to Europe, and my first since childhood! We are excited, but a little daunted by all of the information out there. We took an amazing roadtrip in the US Southwest a few years ago and fell in love with the roadtrip style of travel: no strict schedules, masters of our own destinies, etc., so we would be happy to rent a car, though I'm a little nervous about driving on the left.
Here are our interests:
1. Interesting museums, castles, gardens
2. Highland games - We'd love to spend a day at a festival, if the timing works out
3. Beautiful scenery, nature walks, light hiking
4. Time to relax, walk around, enjoy a pint, enjoy the locals, not feel scheduled
We don't really care about whisky or golf and would be fine to skip those aspects.
We are flying from Baltimore/DC. It looks as if it's a bit cheaper to fly nonstop to London and take a train to Edinburgh or Glasgow, but I'm not sure if that's a huge PITA...should we just pay a little extra for a flight to Glasgow or Edinburgh? It would require a connection in either Reykjavik or London.
Has anyone done a trip like this? Our emphasis is on the quality of our time, not the quantity of sites. I've read so much at this point that all the info has melted in my head and I feel a bit paralyzed. I know that one person's "must-see" is another person's snooze-fest, but I'd still love to hear advice from those in the know. Any advice would be much appreciated, especially in the form of a suggested itinerary, with locations and lengths of time!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 A great read for anyone visiting the UK.
- 2 Cadiz or Malaga
- 3 MaiTaiTom's "Insane For Spain" - 2015
- 4 Visiting Exciting Turkey in the Throes of Restoration
- 5 A/C in Basel
- 6 5 Nights in the Midlands
- 7 Pegontheroad in eastern Europe
- 8 My summer in Paris
- 9 Trip planning--Portugal and Spain
- 10 Where to stay in Northern Ireland and should we try to see Cliffs of Moher?
- 11 Photographing the lavender in Provence
- 12 San Sebastián how many ways can I say I love you?
- 13 Should I shop in Firenze or Roma? Or Paris or London?!
- 14 Iceland 2 week trip itinerary/report
- 15 Lechazo in Castilla; Burgos; Extebarri; Getaria; SS (??)
- 16 How has Rome changed in last 30 years?
- 17 Guys please Help, Italy areas, where to stay. Running out of time.
- 18 10 days in andalucia spain
- 19 June or August: Ireland/London/Belgium/Paris
- 20 Our first trip to Europe
- 21 Irish Republic phone use
- 22 Paris tipping hotel maids
- 23 2 Week Trip to Central/Eastern Europe
- 24 London 2-for-1: Using an "unused" Train Ticket
- 25 Is traveling to 10 countries in Europe in 50 days a good idea?