My husband and I are planning a trip to Scotland next summer (2014) for about 10-12 days. Our dates are flexible at this point--I'm a teacher, so we can go anytime between mid-June and mid-August.
This will be his first trip to Europe, and my first since childhood! We are excited, but a little daunted by all of the information out there. We took an amazing roadtrip in the US Southwest a few years ago and fell in love with the roadtrip style of travel: no strict schedules, masters of our own destinies, etc., so we would be happy to rent a car, though I'm a little nervous about driving on the left.
Here are our interests:
1. Interesting museums, castles, gardens
2. Highland games - We'd love to spend a day at a festival, if the timing works out
3. Beautiful scenery, nature walks, light hiking
4. Time to relax, walk around, enjoy a pint, enjoy the locals, not feel scheduled
We don't really care about whisky or golf and would be fine to skip those aspects.
We are flying from Baltimore/DC. It looks as if it's a bit cheaper to fly nonstop to London and take a train to Edinburgh or Glasgow, but I'm not sure if that's a huge PITA...should we just pay a little extra for a flight to Glasgow or Edinburgh? It would require a connection in either Reykjavik or London.
Has anyone done a trip like this? Our emphasis is on the quality of our time, not the quantity of sites. I've read so much at this point that all the info has melted in my head and I feel a bit paralyzed. I know that one person's "must-see" is another person's snooze-fest, but I'd still love to hear advice from those in the know. Any advice would be much appreciated, especially in the form of a suggested itinerary, with locations and lengths of time!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 France: Montpellier, Toulouse, Bordeaux, Loire, Paris
- 2 Europe Itinerary
- 3 Special Settings for Sitting! Paris
- 4 Early Flight Out of Stockholm on Disembarkation Day
- 5 Help! Overnight train from Ljubljana/Zagreb to Budapest!?
- 6 Charming hotel in Milan?
- 7 Summer French classes for kids
- 8 ITALY – ON AND OFF THE BEATEN PATH: Venice & Northern Italy
- 9 Trans-Siberia Train
- 10 Rome/Bologna Itinerary
- 11 Tot or Trans Montserrat tickets
- 12 Edgard bus website English version?
- 13 Train from Budapest to Bratislava or Brno
- 14 Nike tennis shoes and leggings
- 15 Scotland/UK itinerary
- 16 Lots of walking, amazing scenery & wine - 3 weeks France & Germany.
- 17 Trip report: 24 days in Croatia, Slovenia and Budapest
- 18 Paris New Years Eve and New Years Day
- 19 Car rental/return near London
- 20 Anyone been to the Goodwood Festival of Speed?
- 21 The Mystery and Beauty of Galicia
- 22 In Search of Montalbano - the ups and downs of 10 days in Eastern Sicily
- 23 Trip Report and Photos - The Baltics – Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius
- 24 Camino Redux
- 25 St. Wolfgang/Hallstatt/Berchtesgaden from Salzburg