Last year, my 23 year old daughter and I fell in love with Scotland. We have not stopped talking about it since. The friendly people, jaw dropping scenery, kilts, bagpipes, history, and yes, even the food -it is all so fantastic. We toured Glasgow very briefly (International Pipes Championship was legendary), Edinburgh Fringe, Miitary Tattoo, 1 day St. Andrews /Fife(with Rabbies, FANTASTIC), 1 day Glencoe/Inverary/Loch Lomond (with Rabbies, FANTASTIC!).
And now, I am so thrilled that we are returning! This year, we were fortunate enough to be accepted last minute to the Isle of Skye half marathon on June 11 - a fantastic excuse to GO BACK! I recently lost my job, so visiting Scotland will cheer me up greatly, I know. I am so happy just anticipating this trip, all smiles.
This year, we plan to focus mostly on the country/islands. I have the first few days planned out, as we have the marathon and needed to get set. But after that, we don’t know how to best use the time and then land back in Glasgow for departure on Sunday morning.
Noting that we will be in Skye for several days at the beginning, what do you recommend for the next 6 days following?
Also, should I rent a car after leaving Skye? I am a fantastic driver in USA and can even drive a stick. Is is scary to drive in Scotland? I am totally open to some guided touring if I could figure out (they all seem to leave from Glasgow/Edinburgh).
Your assistance is greatly appreciated, folks!
• Castles (Tour and maybe stay in one?)
• Whisky (Speyside touring?) and notably historic/fun PUBS
• Gorgeous, stunning scenery
• Quaint Inns
• Incredible food including SEAFOOD (we are foodies)
• Possibly: Fly/Ferry to Northern Ireland/Dublin?
Current uncompleted agenda:
Day 1 : Destination :Fort William
Arrival Edinburgh 7:10 AM from USA
Edinburgh to Fort William train, departure 10:48 AM, arrival 4:30 pm
Overnight Fort William, Buccleuch Guest House
Day 2: Destination: Isle of Skye
Depart Fort Wiliam on Jacobite Steam train to Mailleg, arrival 12:30 pm
Depart Mailleg to Armadale, Isle of Skye (TBD)
Armadale to Portree , Skye (Taxi?)
Overnight, Portree, Skye, Pink Guest House
Day 3 Destination: Skye
Isle of Skye Half Marathon! 10 am-2 pm (ish)
Overnight, Portree, Skye
Day 4 Destination: Skye
Scheduled Tour , “SkyeBus” , Real Scottish Tours, 9 am – 7 pm
The rest…OPEN- Need advise from passionate travelers!
Day 5 Monday
Day 6 Tuesday
Day 7 Wednesday
Day 8 Thursday
Day 9 Friday
Day 10 Saturday
Day 11: Depart Glasgow 10:45 AM (Boo! We don't want to leave!)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Itinerary Help for Sicily
- 2 Capri is for vacationing, la Dordogne is for living
- 3 Sicily in 3 Weeks
- 4 Sitting at a cafe watching the world go by - hmmm...
- 5 Does the heat of Europe ever grind you down?
- 6 Nice room in Venice in late September for £150?
- 7 Can I visit Rotterdam on a 6h40 min layover in Schiphol?
- 8 Italy in January?
- 9 LONG Trip Report Barcelona & Costa Brava June 2017
- 10 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 11 3 Weeks in Sicilia!!
- 12 Berlin to ?
- 13 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 14 tickets for Wimbledon
- 15 Renting a car in Greece
- 16 Day trips from Seville -Granada, Cadiz&Jerez or white villages
- 17 Piedmont question
- 18 Insurance on rental car options
- 19 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 20 Zermatt this weekend, a good idea looking at the weather?
- 21 Help with Crete Itinerary
- 22 Sunday and Monday in Provence area
- 23 Hotel Fita Amsterdam- questions re: air conditioning
- 24 9 days UK itinerary help!
- 25 Scotland & UK: 2 weeks with Sheep & Cows
Scotland highland/islands agenda-please help, last minute dream trip