Last year, my 23 year old daughter and I fell in love with Scotland. We have not stopped talking about it since. The friendly people, jaw dropping scenery, kilts, bagpipes, history, and yes, even the food -it is all so fantastic. We toured Glasgow very briefly (International Pipes Championship was legendary), Edinburgh Fringe, Miitary Tattoo, 1 day St. Andrews /Fife(with Rabbies, FANTASTIC), 1 day Glencoe/Inverary/Loch Lomond (with Rabbies, FANTASTIC!).
And now, I am so thrilled that we are returning! This year, we were fortunate enough to be accepted last minute to the Isle of Skye half marathon on June 11 - a fantastic excuse to GO BACK! I recently lost my job, so visiting Scotland will cheer me up greatly, I know. I am so happy just anticipating this trip, all smiles.
This year, we plan to focus mostly on the country/islands. I have the first few days planned out, as we have the marathon and needed to get set. But after that, we don’t know how to best use the time and then land back in Glasgow for departure on Sunday morning.
Noting that we will be in Skye for several days at the beginning, what do you recommend for the next 6 days following?
Also, should I rent a car after leaving Skye? I am a fantastic driver in USA and can even drive a stick. Is is scary to drive in Scotland? I am totally open to some guided touring if I could figure out (they all seem to leave from Glasgow/Edinburgh).
Your assistance is greatly appreciated, folks!
• Castles (Tour and maybe stay in one?)
• Whisky (Speyside touring?) and notably historic/fun PUBS
• Gorgeous, stunning scenery
• Quaint Inns
• Incredible food including SEAFOOD (we are foodies)
• Possibly: Fly/Ferry to Northern Ireland/Dublin?
Current uncompleted agenda:
Day 1 : Destination :Fort William
Arrival Edinburgh 7:10 AM from USA
Edinburgh to Fort William train, departure 10:48 AM, arrival 4:30 pm
Overnight Fort William, Buccleuch Guest House
Day 2: Destination: Isle of Skye
Depart Fort Wiliam on Jacobite Steam train to Mailleg, arrival 12:30 pm
Depart Mailleg to Armadale, Isle of Skye (TBD)
Armadale to Portree , Skye (Taxi?)
Overnight, Portree, Skye, Pink Guest House
Day 3 Destination: Skye
Isle of Skye Half Marathon! 10 am-2 pm (ish)
Overnight, Portree, Skye
Day 4 Destination: Skye
Scheduled Tour , “SkyeBus” , Real Scottish Tours, 9 am – 7 pm
The rest…OPEN- Need advise from passionate travelers!
Day 5 Monday
Day 6 Tuesday
Day 7 Wednesday
Day 8 Thursday
Day 9 Friday
Day 10 Saturday
Day 11: Depart Glasgow 10:45 AM (Boo! We don't want to leave!)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Is European democracy better than US democracy?
- 2 A bit overwhelmed!!!
- 3 Shorts in South of France?
- 4 What's a must to buy in Paris?
- 5 Alsace to Austria?
- 6 Spain: train/rental car help
- 7 UK in May and June
- 8 Adivice from experts please, Southern Dutch/Belgium German Borders
- 9 Help with Spain/Portugal itinerary 33 days
- 10 Drive from Lake Como to Venice
- 11 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 12 Bath/Cotswolds
- 13 Getting from Bordeaux Gare to the airport
- 14 Thinking about the Fjords
- 15 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 16 Italy itinerary - input needed, please!!
- 17 Help with 12 day UK Itinerary!
- 18 For Paris-knowledgable - best neighborhood to stay a week-plus
- 19 Mr & Mrs Annhig need your help planning bucket list trip to Switzerland
- 20 Berlin activities -need help with organisation, please
- 21 Looking for a UK coach tour company for seniors
- 22 23 day honeymoon to Greece
- 23 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 24 Globus Iberian Tour
- 25 Drive or Train from Zurich to Florence?
Scotland highland/islands agenda-please help, last minute dream trip