Trying to figure out our Borders itinerary. We will be headed there on a Wednesday morning after two nights in D&G. Assuming we do something in D&G in the morning, I am planning on half a day Wednesday in the Borders (staying in Melrose), full day Thursday, and half day Friday. I know I tend to try to cram things in, but would like to be more relaxed this trip...we CAN save places on my list for future trips.
I think I've narrowed my big wishes down to Floors Castle, Traquair House, and Mellerstain House. Due to opening times Mellerstain, this has to be on Friday. Also, Dryburgh Abbey, Melrose Abbey and Jedburgh Abbey. Plus visiting the towns themselves (Melrose, Peebles?, St. Abb's and nearby Eye mouth).
My question is, how long in general to plan for the abbeys? Do we do all 3 or cut one out. Do I also need to cut something else out (which would be Floors). Thinking Traquair House Weds and an abbey (or just Traquair), Floors Thursday and two abbeys (or all 3), and then Mellerstain Friday.
My other question is does anyone have a restaurant in The Borders (or D&G) that they particularly love? We are celebrating my father in laws 70th and also inlaws 40th wedding anniversary.
Finally, where to stop to break up the drive from Aberdeen to Dumfries and Galloway region at the start if the week?
Thanks as always
Scotland: Borders questions (abbeys, itinerary, eats), Dumfries & Galloway
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Republique - Canal St Martin area safe? And VRBO apartment rental questions
- 2 Looking for recommendations for trip insurance
- 3 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 4 Switzerland & Italian Riviera & Sardinia Summer 2014
- 5 Airfare for summer travel to Europe
- 6 Budapest 4 nights - Top 10 must do
- 7 Great Britain Travel- London / Edinburgh
- 8 Europe in 21 days
- 9 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 10 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 11 Question re. ToT Montserrat Ticket for day trip
- 12 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 13 Cute hotel in Venice (San Marco) for around $150USD
- 14 Spain in 18days -finalizing itinerary and a special bday celebration!
- 15 Spain Questions
- 16 A little help with our Dordogne itinerary
- 17 Amsterdam -Belgium -Germany -Amsterdam
- 18 Avignon to London?
- 19 Trip to Italy - please weigh in with suggestions and tips!!
- 20 Cilento, Calabria and Basilicata: Help fill in a few blanks for us
- 21 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 22 Ireland with a Northern Twist
- 23 Day Trips from Avignon via train/bus
- 24 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium
- 25 13 days Netherlands, Germany, Austria and Zermatt