Trying to figure out our Borders itinerary. We will be headed there on a Wednesday morning after two nights in D&G. Assuming we do something in D&G in the morning, I am planning on half a day Wednesday in the Borders (staying in Melrose), full day Thursday, and half day Friday. I know I tend to try to cram things in, but would like to be more relaxed this trip...we CAN save places on my list for future trips.
I think I've narrowed my big wishes down to Floors Castle, Traquair House, and Mellerstain House. Due to opening times Mellerstain, this has to be on Friday. Also, Dryburgh Abbey, Melrose Abbey and Jedburgh Abbey. Plus visiting the towns themselves (Melrose, Peebles?, St. Abb's and nearby Eye mouth).
My question is, how long in general to plan for the abbeys? Do we do all 3 or cut one out. Do I also need to cut something else out (which would be Floors). Thinking Traquair House Weds and an abbey (or just Traquair), Floors Thursday and two abbeys (or all 3), and then Mellerstain Friday.
My other question is does anyone have a restaurant in The Borders (or D&G) that they particularly love? We are celebrating my father in laws 70th and also inlaws 40th wedding anniversary.
Finally, where to stop to break up the drive from Aberdeen to Dumfries and Galloway region at the start if the week?
Thanks as always
Scotland: Borders questions (abbeys, itinerary, eats), Dumfries & Galloway
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Prague - Tram #22
- 2 A drive in Europe
- 3 Looking for recommendations for trip insurance
- 4 Berlin & Budapest for 8 days
- 5 Amsterdam -Belgium -Germany -Amsterdam
- 6 Prague 3 nights - Top 10 things to do
- 7 Train ticket dilemma from Zurich to Milan
- 8 Champagne, Chocolates and Christmas, but no Chanel - Paris and Alsace
- 9 HELP FLORENCE TO ROME BY CAR WHAT TO DO
- 10 Questions on Ferry from Bodrum to Rhodes
- 11 Siena or Bologna day trip from Florence?
- 12 Where to stay in Rome
- 13 5 nights to get from Paris to Rome - What to do??
- 14 Italy Roma Card, Florence Card Recommended? Train Pass?
- 15 Boulevard Saint Germain from start to finish
- 16 Ireland and the UK Itinerary Advice
- 17 Nuremburg and Bamberg from Munich
- 18 Italy Apartment What To Bring
- 19 RFID wallets do they really work?
- 20 Prague, Austria and Germany in 17 days
- 21 Sicily Suggetions
- 22 Germany driving itinerary starting questions
- 23 Travelling two weeks in London, Ireland and Scotland.
- 24 North of Spain from Bilbao
- 25 We saw London, we saw France as well as The Netherlands and Belgium