Trying to figure out our Borders itinerary. We will be headed there on a Wednesday morning after two nights in D&G. Assuming we do something in D&G in the morning, I am planning on half a day Wednesday in the Borders (staying in Melrose), full day Thursday, and half day Friday. I know I tend to try to cram things in, but would like to be more relaxed this trip...we CAN save places on my list for future trips.
I think I've narrowed my big wishes down to Floors Castle, Traquair House, and Mellerstain House. Due to opening times Mellerstain, this has to be on Friday. Also, Dryburgh Abbey, Melrose Abbey and Jedburgh Abbey. Plus visiting the towns themselves (Melrose, Peebles?, St. Abb's and nearby Eye mouth).
My question is, how long in general to plan for the abbeys? Do we do all 3 or cut one out. Do I also need to cut something else out (which would be Floors). Thinking Traquair House Weds and an abbey (or just Traquair), Floors Thursday and two abbeys (or all 3), and then Mellerstain Friday.
My other question is does anyone have a restaurant in The Borders (or D&G) that they particularly love? We are celebrating my father in laws 70th and also inlaws 40th wedding anniversary.
Finally, where to stop to break up the drive from Aberdeen to Dumfries and Galloway region at the start if the week?
Thanks as always
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Solo trip across Europe covering 18 countries
- 2 Super Excited! 3 weeks need your help!
- 3 London's Must Sights!
- 4 Just booked flight 11 nt trip to Italy, into Pisa, out from Milan
- 5 10 Days in Greece @ End of June
- 6 Will this be a problem??? - connecting flights and different airlines
- 7 Where to stay in Paris? So many options!
- 8 Chatsworth/Hardwick Hall Timing
- 9 First Time Solo Travel info
- 10 Croatia-Slovenia- 30 days Road trip itinerary-2017
- 11 Budapest Hotels
- 12 Hotel Bonaparte, Paris
- 13 TGV from Paris to Vienna?
- 14 Help deciding on how to tour England/Ireland/Scotland
- 15 Lake Garda, Where to stay
- 16 Midway stop btwn Paris & Venice?
- 17 Van Gogh Museum advice
- 18 Traveling to Europe mid November - suggestions
- 19 One month in southern Spain with little ones. Where to stay?
- 20 4 days in switzerland
- 21 Switzerland, Austria, Prague and Munich
- 22 11 days in Portugal in April - thoughts on itinerary please!
- 23 Do We Need A Guide to do the Ring Road?
- 24 2 Months around Europe and the Balkans. Need help with itinerary!
- 25 Britain's contactless public transport revolution moves to Oxford
Scotland: Borders questions (abbeys, itinerary, eats), Dumfries & Galloway