Trying to figure out our Borders itinerary. We will be headed there on a Wednesday morning after two nights in D&G. Assuming we do something in D&G in the morning, I am planning on half a day Wednesday in the Borders (staying in Melrose), full day Thursday, and half day Friday. I know I tend to try to cram things in, but would like to be more relaxed this trip...we CAN save places on my list for future trips.
I think I've narrowed my big wishes down to Floors Castle, Traquair House, and Mellerstain House. Due to opening times Mellerstain, this has to be on Friday. Also, Dryburgh Abbey, Melrose Abbey and Jedburgh Abbey. Plus visiting the towns themselves (Melrose, Peebles?, St. Abb's and nearby Eye mouth).
My question is, how long in general to plan for the abbeys? Do we do all 3 or cut one out. Do I also need to cut something else out (which would be Floors). Thinking Traquair House Weds and an abbey (or just Traquair), Floors Thursday and two abbeys (or all 3), and then Mellerstain Friday.
My other question is does anyone have a restaurant in The Borders (or D&G) that they particularly love? We are celebrating my father in laws 70th and also inlaws 40th wedding anniversary.
Finally, where to stop to break up the drive from Aberdeen to Dumfries and Galloway region at the start if the week?
Thanks as always
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Interested in Icelandic cuisine?
- 2 A couple of questions which are not quite answered
- 3 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 4 First Day: Cashel or Kilkenny?
- 5 Handicap Assistance at Charles de Gaulle - Our Experience
- 6 Rue des Rosiers
- 7 Italy museum tickets
- 8 Take your time to see San Gimignano
- 9 Honeymoon in Greece & Norway April/May 2016
- 10 Barcelona to San Sebastian
- 11 Help with final 6 days of Norway itinerary
- 12 Celebrating Christmas Early...in Vienna!
- 13 Help with air/train logistics in U.K.!
- 14 Paris for Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve
- 15 Shopping in Stockholm, Prague and Warsaw
- 16 What one thing in Paris?
- 17 Holiday in Austria
- 18 Stay in El Born, in Barcelona, and getting to the Languedoc, France
- 19 Christmas Market-ing in the Salzkammergut
- 20 sfo to europe
- 21 Snakes on a Plane? Our Thanksgiving in Paris!
- 22 How a Greek DIY expert ended up on a Greek Island Cruise
- 23 Scotland itinerary, helm me with15 night itinerary
- 24 Visiting Turkey for Fun and Adventure, Oasis or Chaos
- 25 Help Planning Spain Itinerary
Scotland: Borders questions (abbeys, itinerary, eats), Dumfries & Galloway