Trying to figure out our Borders itinerary. We will be headed there on a Wednesday morning after two nights in D&G. Assuming we do something in D&G in the morning, I am planning on half a day Wednesday in the Borders (staying in Melrose), full day Thursday, and half day Friday. I know I tend to try to cram things in, but would like to be more relaxed this trip...we CAN save places on my list for future trips.
I think I've narrowed my big wishes down to Floors Castle, Traquair House, and Mellerstain House. Due to opening times Mellerstain, this has to be on Friday. Also, Dryburgh Abbey, Melrose Abbey and Jedburgh Abbey. Plus visiting the towns themselves (Melrose, Peebles?, St. Abb's and nearby Eye mouth).
My question is, how long in general to plan for the abbeys? Do we do all 3 or cut one out. Do I also need to cut something else out (which would be Floors). Thinking Traquair House Weds and an abbey (or just Traquair), Floors Thursday and two abbeys (or all 3), and then Mellerstain Friday.
My other question is does anyone have a restaurant in The Borders (or D&G) that they particularly love? We are celebrating my father in laws 70th and also inlaws 40th wedding anniversary.
Finally, where to stop to break up the drive from Aberdeen to Dumfries and Galloway region at the start if the week?
Thanks as always
Scotland: Borders questions (abbeys, itinerary, eats), Dumfries & Galloway
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Current Recs for accommodations near Glencoe
- 2 When to go to Sicily
- 3 Transport in Venice
- 4 Loving Italy: our trip to Rome, San Gimigniano and Venice
- 5 Paris Perfect: Which Apt for Honeymoon?
- 6 How to structure this trip?
- 7 Tentative 2 week itinerary for Paris
- 8 Too Ambitious of an Itinerary?
- 9 Pleasant Perches from which to Ponder Paris?
- 10 Prebook B&Bs
- 11 Suggestions for Munich in early December
- 12 Has anyone every used a company called Portugal Trails
- 13 Lakes District UK
- 14 Rome Areas to stay
- 15 15 days in Europe from 15 Dec 2014 to 1st Jan 2015
- 16 Garmisch Partenkirchen Christmas packing list
- 17 Wengen to Torino?
- 18 Any recommended shops on Rue du Cherche Midi? Or nearby?
- 19 Italy - Month of July
- 20 England & Scotland in April
- 21 Need Advice: 12 Days in Europe
- 22 Oct. 2014 in Croatia, Slovenia, Montenagro and Bosnia-Herzegovina: TR
- 23 Swiss lakes with elderly relatives
- 24 Amsterdam + Alps + Tuscany in 2 weeks
- 25 Suggestions for places to stay on Madeira, but not Funchal? And driving?