Trying to figure out our Borders itinerary. We will be headed there on a Wednesday morning after two nights in D&G. Assuming we do something in D&G in the morning, I am planning on half a day Wednesday in the Borders (staying in Melrose), full day Thursday, and half day Friday. I know I tend to try to cram things in, but would like to be more relaxed this trip...we CAN save places on my list for future trips.
I think I've narrowed my big wishes down to Floors Castle, Traquair House, and Mellerstain House. Due to opening times Mellerstain, this has to be on Friday. Also, Dryburgh Abbey, Melrose Abbey and Jedburgh Abbey. Plus visiting the towns themselves (Melrose, Peebles?, St. Abb's and nearby Eye mouth).
My question is, how long in general to plan for the abbeys? Do we do all 3 or cut one out. Do I also need to cut something else out (which would be Floors). Thinking Traquair House Weds and an abbey (or just Traquair), Floors Thursday and two abbeys (or all 3), and then Mellerstain Friday.
My other question is does anyone have a restaurant in The Borders (or D&G) that they particularly love? We are celebrating my father in laws 70th and also inlaws 40th wedding anniversary.
Finally, where to stop to break up the drive from Aberdeen to Dumfries and Galloway region at the start if the week?
Thanks as always
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amalfi coast 8 days with 4 yr old
- 2 Provence 5 days 4 night (3.5 full days) itinerary
- 3 Pegontheroad in eastern Europe
- 4 Help with recommendations in Croatia
- 5 Firenze Card OR Amici Degli Uffizi Card??
- 6 St. Petersburg plus
- 7 Thalys seat assignment hassle
- 8 Oh no, yet another Alhambra ticket-timing question
- 9 Honeymoon in Europe Nov-Dec2015
- 10 Day trips from Monaco
- 11 Scandinavia Trip in August
- 12 Scandinavian and Baltic Adventure - our trip report
- 13 More concise itinerary-Rome, Tuscany, Paris
- 14 Christmas trip to Germany, what city?
- 15 Hotel Aiguablava or Parador AB Spain ?
- 16 Paris Visite pass
- 17 Our Paris plans
- 18 Sicily Trip
- 19 Railpass VS Point-to-Point
- 20 Northern Italy - Milan or Italian Lake District
- 21 Is it really 100 degrees F. in Paris???
- 22 Amalfi Coast restaurants...are dinner reservations a must?
- 23 Italy or France with a 15 month old in March?
- 24 Have I made a mistake in my apartment choice in Paris?
- 25 Travel tips for Budapest-July 2016
Scotland: Borders questions (abbeys, itinerary, eats), Dumfries & Galloway