Trying to figure out our Borders itinerary. We will be headed there on a Wednesday morning after two nights in D&G. Assuming we do something in D&G in the morning, I am planning on half a day Wednesday in the Borders (staying in Melrose), full day Thursday, and half day Friday. I know I tend to try to cram things in, but would like to be more relaxed this trip...we CAN save places on my list for future trips.
I think I've narrowed my big wishes down to Floors Castle, Traquair House, and Mellerstain House. Due to opening times Mellerstain, this has to be on Friday. Also, Dryburgh Abbey, Melrose Abbey and Jedburgh Abbey. Plus visiting the towns themselves (Melrose, Peebles?, St. Abb's and nearby Eye mouth).
My question is, how long in general to plan for the abbeys? Do we do all 3 or cut one out. Do I also need to cut something else out (which would be Floors). Thinking Traquair House Weds and an abbey (or just Traquair), Floors Thursday and two abbeys (or all 3), and then Mellerstain Friday.
My other question is does anyone have a restaurant in The Borders (or D&G) that they particularly love? We are celebrating my father in laws 70th and also inlaws 40th wedding anniversary.
Finally, where to stop to break up the drive from Aberdeen to Dumfries and Galloway region at the start if the week?
Thanks as always
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Heathrow to hotel transportation question
- 2 France to stop making foie grois
- 3 AIr France on strike ... as usual.
- 4 Please Rec best VPN Internet service/company for Italy
- 5 Dropping my rental car at Fiumicino Airport
- 6 Advice to store my luggage in Paris ?
- 7 Need some suggestions for Andalucia / Barcelona / Madrid starting Dec 25
- 8 Kilt makers
- 9 http://rxtestosteronesite.com/muscle-xtx-reviews/
- 10 Puglia
- 11 Stonehenge and Bath
- 12 Manchester on derby weekend
- 13 Avoid Viking River Cruises
- 14 My First Trip to Europe...
- 15 Four favorite things to do in Paris during the Christmas holidays
- 16 Amsterdam bike rides and maps
- 17 train from ravenna to parma
- 18 Best area to stay in Valencia
- 19 Greek Itinerary Help: 8 days Early November w/ 12-yr-old
- 20 Christmas in Paris.....On Going Trip Report
- 21 Germany, May'16: Four seasons in three weeks.
- 22 Need Suggestions for Trip to Poland and Possibly Lithuania
- 23 Madrid city centre?
- 24 Granada to Cordoba to Madrid--Doable??
- 25 http://www.prohealthguides.com/fitcrew-usa-xtreme-testrone/
Scotland: Borders questions (abbeys, itinerary, eats), Dumfries & Galloway