Trying to figure out our Borders itinerary. We will be headed there on a Wednesday morning after two nights in D&G. Assuming we do something in D&G in the morning, I am planning on half a day Wednesday in the Borders (staying in Melrose), full day Thursday, and half day Friday. I know I tend to try to cram things in, but would like to be more relaxed this trip...we CAN save places on my list for future trips.
I think I've narrowed my big wishes down to Floors Castle, Traquair House, and Mellerstain House. Due to opening times Mellerstain, this has to be on Friday. Also, Dryburgh Abbey, Melrose Abbey and Jedburgh Abbey. Plus visiting the towns themselves (Melrose, Peebles?, St. Abb's and nearby Eye mouth).
My question is, how long in general to plan for the abbeys? Do we do all 3 or cut one out. Do I also need to cut something else out (which would be Floors). Thinking Traquair House Weds and an abbey (or just Traquair), Floors Thursday and two abbeys (or all 3), and then Mellerstain Friday.
My other question is does anyone have a restaurant in The Borders (or D&G) that they particularly love? We are celebrating my father in laws 70th and also inlaws 40th wedding anniversary.
Finally, where to stop to break up the drive from Aberdeen to Dumfries and Galloway region at the start if the week?
Thanks as always
Scotland: Borders questions (abbeys, itinerary, eats), Dumfries & Galloway
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Europe road trip with kids - thoughts please!
- 2 Sicily 4-6 weeks
- 3 IRELAND - the driving is great: east to west, south to north!
- 4 Barcelona apartment input, please
- 5 Milan/Venice/Como/Milan Train Transportation
- 6 Croatia: BEACHES/NIGHTCLUBS
- 7 Christmas Market 2014 Itinerary help
- 8 Mama Mia Italy!
- 9 Suggestion for wine tasting and winery tours in Tuscany
- 10 Venice - visiting the Arsenal.
- 11 Anyone familiar with Villa Treville?
- 12 Majorca - where to stay?
- 13 Student Visas/Schengen Zone
- 14 Premier Inn in Edinburgh, City Center, UK
- 15 Dordogne in October
- 16 iPhone Sim Data Question (UK, Italy, France)
- 17 Travel sim with Free Incoming
- 18 Does this sound feasible?
- 19 Bike touring in France
- 20 Need help in finalizing Switzerland travel dates
- 21 Keeping it el cheapo in Copenhagen Paris and Barcelona!
- 22 T-Mobile International Roaming in Europe: a Trip Report
- 23 Scotland Wedding Planning, Added Belgium! Logistics help, Plz?
- 24 Lake Como in October- when does season change
- 25 Calling home from abroad