Trying to figure out our Borders itinerary. We will be headed there on a Wednesday morning after two nights in D&G. Assuming we do something in D&G in the morning, I am planning on half a day Wednesday in the Borders (staying in Melrose), full day Thursday, and half day Friday. I know I tend to try to cram things in, but would like to be more relaxed this trip...we CAN save places on my list for future trips.
I think I've narrowed my big wishes down to Floors Castle, Traquair House, and Mellerstain House. Due to opening times Mellerstain, this has to be on Friday. Also, Dryburgh Abbey, Melrose Abbey and Jedburgh Abbey. Plus visiting the towns themselves (Melrose, Peebles?, St. Abb's and nearby Eye mouth).
My question is, how long in general to plan for the abbeys? Do we do all 3 or cut one out. Do I also need to cut something else out (which would be Floors). Thinking Traquair House Weds and an abbey (or just Traquair), Floors Thursday and two abbeys (or all 3), and then Mellerstain Friday.
My other question is does anyone have a restaurant in The Borders (or D&G) that they particularly love? We are celebrating my father in laws 70th and also inlaws 40th wedding anniversary.
Finally, where to stop to break up the drive from Aberdeen to Dumfries and Galloway region at the start if the week?
Thanks as always
Scotland: Borders questions (abbeys, itinerary, eats), Dumfries & Galloway
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Where to go in France mid July?
- 2 Walking and Hiking around Nice
- 3 Warning NEVER BOOK at Castro Exclusive Residences Barcelona!
- 4 Help with England/Wales tour
- 5 1,000,001 Steps: Ups and Downs in Greece for 3 Weeks
- 6 A trip into the neonatal ward of Western civilization
- 7 Backpacking Europe in the Winter
- 8 Need Advice: 12 Days in Europe
- 9 "Or Like in Europe Where Folks Share Tables to Save Space"
- 10 trip to norway
- 11 Europe (London/Berlin/Venice) Last MinutepPractical/Ordinary
- 12 My notes on Greece 101
- 13 Cappadocia/Kas/Cirali/IST Spring 2014 Trip Report
- 14 When Christmas markets of 2014 are going to start in Tyrol in Austrian part
- 15 57 Reasons to Love Yorkshire
- 16 How Long Does it take to get to FCO
- 17 ...Got a speeding ticket in Spain...
- 18 Is Venice really dirty?
- 19 Cotswold Churches
- 20 BEST OF FRANCE ROAD TRIP IN 30 DAYS- MAY 15
- 21 Best beach town in Italy?
- 22 TRYP or Hotel Londres Inglaterra
- 23 Parma- Uh, Oops- Historic Dist. Ticket
- 24 50yo sf. Barcelona at night...?
- 25 Italy and Croatia