Trying to figure out our Borders itinerary. We will be headed there on a Wednesday morning after two nights in D&G. Assuming we do something in D&G in the morning, I am planning on half a day Wednesday in the Borders (staying in Melrose), full day Thursday, and half day Friday. I know I tend to try to cram things in, but would like to be more relaxed this trip...we CAN save places on my list for future trips.
I think I've narrowed my big wishes down to Floors Castle, Traquair House, and Mellerstain House. Due to opening times Mellerstain, this has to be on Friday. Also, Dryburgh Abbey, Melrose Abbey and Jedburgh Abbey. Plus visiting the towns themselves (Melrose, Peebles?, St. Abb's and nearby Eye mouth).
My question is, how long in general to plan for the abbeys? Do we do all 3 or cut one out. Do I also need to cut something else out (which would be Floors). Thinking Traquair House Weds and an abbey (or just Traquair), Floors Thursday and two abbeys (or all 3), and then Mellerstain Friday.
My other question is does anyone have a restaurant in The Borders (or D&G) that they particularly love? We are celebrating my father in laws 70th and also inlaws 40th wedding anniversary.
Finally, where to stop to break up the drive from Aberdeen to Dumfries and Galloway region at the start if the week?
Thanks as always
Scotland: Borders questions (abbeys, itinerary, eats), Dumfries & Galloway
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 What do you know about using the iPhone GPS app in Europe?
- 2 If you had a week in Switzerland...
- 3 England, Scotland, Ireland, and France... Where do I start?! (three weeks)
- 4 Advice and suggestions welcome for 2 month trip
- 5 Buying Train Tickets on line in advance of Trip to Italy
- 6 Trip report: solo female traveler in Spain
- 7 What should we tip our tour guide?
- 8 Wedding In Positano Italy Sept 2014- NEED YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS
- 9 Speeding ticket in Germany: how do I handle this?
- 10 London - Paris - Venice - Flight & Transport Questions
- 11 Vacation Pictures
- 12 Please critique my Croatia/Slovenia itinerary
- 13 US Debit Cards and European ATMs
- 14 Looking for review of 1-day Pompeii/Naples Itinerary Please
- 15 Sigh....Swiss Pass HELP!
- 16 restaurants / pubs near British museum / Bloomsbury
- 17 Help!! Need to pick up train tickets in France and credit card stolen
- 18 Trip to Italy
- 19 Please help us maximize our time in each European city
- 20 1st time in Spain w/ 3 Children 8years and under - Help with itinery please
- 21 Day trips in 3 countries bordering Germany
- 22 Automatic car rental in Italy: Dollar or Thrifty?
- 23 Which Northern Germany international airport?
- 24 Granada, Spain hotel choice
- 25 Seven days in London, June, 2014