Trying to figure out our Borders itinerary. We will be headed there on a Wednesday morning after two nights in D&G. Assuming we do something in D&G in the morning, I am planning on half a day Wednesday in the Borders (staying in Melrose), full day Thursday, and half day Friday. I know I tend to try to cram things in, but would like to be more relaxed this trip...we CAN save places on my list for future trips.
I think I've narrowed my big wishes down to Floors Castle, Traquair House, and Mellerstain House. Due to opening times Mellerstain, this has to be on Friday. Also, Dryburgh Abbey, Melrose Abbey and Jedburgh Abbey. Plus visiting the towns themselves (Melrose, Peebles?, St. Abb's and nearby Eye mouth).
My question is, how long in general to plan for the abbeys? Do we do all 3 or cut one out. Do I also need to cut something else out (which would be Floors). Thinking Traquair House Weds and an abbey (or just Traquair), Floors Thursday and two abbeys (or all 3), and then Mellerstain Friday.
My other question is does anyone have a restaurant in The Borders (or D&G) that they particularly love? We are celebrating my father in laws 70th and also inlaws 40th wedding anniversary.
Finally, where to stop to break up the drive from Aberdeen to Dumfries and Galloway region at the start if the week?
Thanks as always
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Spain: general question about Mondays and museums
- 2 Charming areas to explore in London
- 3 Help with Transportation Options in London
- 4 Trip to Czech Republic, Austria and Italy
- 5 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 6 Italy Dolomites in early April
- 7 I may be wrong....
- 8 Travel from Florence, Italy to Munich, Germany
- 9 Skip the line tours of the Alhambra, Granada.
- 10 Cannobio/Lago Maggiore in October?
- 11 Cornwall UK
- 12 Need Mobile phone advice for Italy
- 13 Advice on use of Toll roads in Portugal
- 14 Hydra, Greece
- 15 travel around Spain
- 16 credit and debit cards
- 17 Cordoba, Granada, Seville loop
- 18 San Gimignano area of Italy
- 19 Cinque Terre, Florence, Venice
- 20 England + France 12-day itinerary
- 21 8 Hours in Rome
- 22 Golf Partner in Istanbul
- 23 Italy trip with kids - planning help?
- 24 Cash machines ATM
- 25 Train up the Jungfrau
Scotland: Borders questions (abbeys, itinerary, eats), Dumfries & Galloway