Trying to figure out our Borders itinerary. We will be headed there on a Wednesday morning after two nights in D&G. Assuming we do something in D&G in the morning, I am planning on half a day Wednesday in the Borders (staying in Melrose), full day Thursday, and half day Friday. I know I tend to try to cram things in, but would like to be more relaxed this trip...we CAN save places on my list for future trips.
I think I've narrowed my big wishes down to Floors Castle, Traquair House, and Mellerstain House. Due to opening times Mellerstain, this has to be on Friday. Also, Dryburgh Abbey, Melrose Abbey and Jedburgh Abbey. Plus visiting the towns themselves (Melrose, Peebles?, St. Abb's and nearby Eye mouth).
My question is, how long in general to plan for the abbeys? Do we do all 3 or cut one out. Do I also need to cut something else out (which would be Floors). Thinking Traquair House Weds and an abbey (or just Traquair), Floors Thursday and two abbeys (or all 3), and then Mellerstain Friday.
My other question is does anyone have a restaurant in The Borders (or D&G) that they particularly love? We are celebrating my father in laws 70th and also inlaws 40th wedding anniversary.
Finally, where to stop to break up the drive from Aberdeen to Dumfries and Galloway region at the start if the week?
Thanks as always
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Safe to Travel?
- 2 Ideas for Month in Germany
- 3 Update on Bob the Navigator
- 4 Summer Language Programs in Germany
- 5 Poll: Most loved smaller European cities & towns (under 500,000 pop.)
- 6 Boots for Christmastime in Germany?
- 7 Barcelona to Bordeaux and back in two weeks
- 8 small Paris hotel 6 or 7 Arr
- 9 Pre-Booking Train Tickets
- 10 Airfare from Boston to Rome
- 11 Recommendations for a Drive through Chianti
- 12 Handicap Assistance at Charles de Gaulle - Our Experience
- 13 Hotel in Tenerife, Canary Islands
- 14 Why Not Helsinki?
- 15 CAPITALIZING ON THE CAPITALS: Central Europe
- 16 Rome to Todi on a Sunday - public transport help please
- 17 Fabulous Greece-Santorini, Naxos and Athens
- 18 Christmas windows of Boulevard Haussmann in Paris 2015
- 19 Naxos hotels? has anyone stayed at Finikas?
- 20 8 days in Vienna in December
- 21 Solvenia to Venice stops on the way
- 22 A couple of questions which are not quite answered
- 23 Quickest and cheapest way to get to Marco Polo from Mogliano Veneto?
- 24 Car rental leaving Rome
- 25 Christmas Market and Parking
Scotland: Borders questions (abbeys, itinerary, eats), Dumfries & Galloway