Trying to figure out our Borders itinerary. We will be headed there on a Wednesday morning after two nights in D&G. Assuming we do something in D&G in the morning, I am planning on half a day Wednesday in the Borders (staying in Melrose), full day Thursday, and half day Friday. I know I tend to try to cram things in, but would like to be more relaxed this trip...we CAN save places on my list for future trips.
I think I've narrowed my big wishes down to Floors Castle, Traquair House, and Mellerstain House. Due to opening times Mellerstain, this has to be on Friday. Also, Dryburgh Abbey, Melrose Abbey and Jedburgh Abbey. Plus visiting the towns themselves (Melrose, Peebles?, St. Abb's and nearby Eye mouth).
My question is, how long in general to plan for the abbeys? Do we do all 3 or cut one out. Do I also need to cut something else out (which would be Floors). Thinking Traquair House Weds and an abbey (or just Traquair), Floors Thursday and two abbeys (or all 3), and then Mellerstain Friday.
My other question is does anyone have a restaurant in The Borders (or D&G) that they particularly love? We are celebrating my father in laws 70th and also inlaws 40th wedding anniversary.
Finally, where to stop to break up the drive from Aberdeen to Dumfries and Galloway region at the start if the week?
Thanks as always
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 france options
- 2 London (and the rest of the UK) Calling...
- 3 7 days in Paris with 3 teens
- 4 DDay Tours - private or group?
- 5 Basque region of Spain and France in 10 days with kids
- 6 Schengen-Student Study Abroad-Student Visa Problems
- 7 Your thoughts on day trips out of Venice
- 8 HeathrowAirport to bakery
- 9 8 days in Andalusia-what do you think?
- 10 Northern Italy/Tuscany ideas
- 11 Itinerary Help for Wheelchair Traveler
- 12 Espagne, Olé! Ancient to modern, through Andalucia, Toledo and Madrid
- 13 How to get to Mallorca
- 14 Hotel suggestions in Amsterdam
- 15 Need help with Europe itinerary
- 16 Kathie & Cheryl plan our 2016 trip to Europe
- 17 Venice : Trying not to overplan
- 18 First EuroTrip decision/planning help
- 19 Family Itinerary April 2016
- 20 Best area of the Morvan?
- 21 Switzerland 5 days
- 22 3 days Paris -Trying to fit everything in
- 23 Todi as a stopover?
- 24 Southern Italy
- 25 Itinerary feedback, 4/5 days in Iceland
Scotland: Borders questions (abbeys, itinerary, eats), Dumfries & Galloway