Trying to figure out our Borders itinerary. We will be headed there on a Wednesday morning after two nights in D&G. Assuming we do something in D&G in the morning, I am planning on half a day Wednesday in the Borders (staying in Melrose), full day Thursday, and half day Friday. I know I tend to try to cram things in, but would like to be more relaxed this trip...we CAN save places on my list for future trips.
I think I've narrowed my big wishes down to Floors Castle, Traquair House, and Mellerstain House. Due to opening times Mellerstain, this has to be on Friday. Also, Dryburgh Abbey, Melrose Abbey and Jedburgh Abbey. Plus visiting the towns themselves (Melrose, Peebles?, St. Abb's and nearby Eye mouth).
My question is, how long in general to plan for the abbeys? Do we do all 3 or cut one out. Do I also need to cut something else out (which would be Floors). Thinking Traquair House Weds and an abbey (or just Traquair), Floors Thursday and two abbeys (or all 3), and then Mellerstain Friday.
My other question is does anyone have a restaurant in The Borders (or D&G) that they particularly love? We are celebrating my father in laws 70th and also inlaws 40th wedding anniversary.
Finally, where to stop to break up the drive from Aberdeen to Dumfries and Galloway region at the start if the week?
Thanks as always
Scotland: Borders questions (abbeys, itinerary, eats), Dumfries & Galloway
- 1 Turkey: Istanbul, Ephesus, Cappadocia
- 2 Traveling within Italy
- 3 Which travel plan?
- 4 London for Christmas
- 5 first european holiday itinery
- 6 3 nights in Bayeux, FRANCE...how to make the most of our days in winter?
- 7 Paris: Where to Christmas Shop for Teen and Tween
- 8 Travel by train or bus
- 9 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 10 Need PIN for general credit card use in Spain Portugal
- 11 Venice passes....confusing as heck!
- 12 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 13 Florence in October
- 14 Confirming..."Buy train tickets the day of departure" advice....M/V/Rome
- 15 Venice 3 days Itinerary.
- 16 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 17 Looking for a serviced apartment in York
- 18 7 days in Andalucia
- 19 4 Women Exploring London Dec 19-23
- 20 a week in Ireland over New year's
- 21 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 22 Euro Train
- 23 Manchester UK-good place for a Thanksgiving dinner?
- 24 Northern Italy Honeymoon- Alps and Italian Favorites
- 25 Where to stay in Copenhagen