Trying to figure out our Borders itinerary. We will be headed there on a Wednesday morning after two nights in D&G. Assuming we do something in D&G in the morning, I am planning on half a day Wednesday in the Borders (staying in Melrose), full day Thursday, and half day Friday. I know I tend to try to cram things in, but would like to be more relaxed this trip...we CAN save places on my list for future trips.
I think I've narrowed my big wishes down to Floors Castle, Traquair House, and Mellerstain House. Due to opening times Mellerstain, this has to be on Friday. Also, Dryburgh Abbey, Melrose Abbey and Jedburgh Abbey. Plus visiting the towns themselves (Melrose, Peebles?, St. Abb's and nearby Eye mouth).
My question is, how long in general to plan for the abbeys? Do we do all 3 or cut one out. Do I also need to cut something else out (which would be Floors). Thinking Traquair House Weds and an abbey (or just Traquair), Floors Thursday and two abbeys (or all 3), and then Mellerstain Friday.
My other question is does anyone have a restaurant in The Borders (or D&G) that they particularly love? We are celebrating my father in laws 70th and also inlaws 40th wedding anniversary.
Finally, where to stop to break up the drive from Aberdeen to Dumfries and Galloway region at the start if the week?
Thanks as always
Scotland: Borders questions (abbeys, itinerary, eats), Dumfries & Galloway
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Exquisite side trip from Cinque Terre?
- 2 Private guide in Germany - typical fees?
- 3 From Bordeaux to Toulouse
- 4 The Train In Spain And Maybe Take A Plane?
- 5 Input wanted on Budapest to Prague July trip
- 6 Car rental at Athens airport
- 7 Going to Croatia for 7-9 days in early June
- 8 Is the roof of La Grande Arche de la Défense open yet?
- 9 Sea side in Italy
- 10 Europe Quis ( Friday March 27 )
- 11 Question About Belgiun Train Travel
- 12 Paris and Normandy Trains
- 13 Drug addict cleansing in France and Spain
- 14 Single Malts
- 15 Great Britain Car Tour Help!
- 16 To include Florence or Not....A Venice, (maybe Florence), and Rome trip
- 17 Apartments in Rome you have rented and liked
- 18 Belgium - Amsterdam - Dusseldorf
- 19 Chip + Pin Credit Card
- 20 2-week Central/Eastern Europe itinerary questions
- 21 5 days in France-What do we do!?
- 22 Neuschwanstein to Linderhof by car
- 23 Help with Lucerne in April
- 24 Trip Report: 17 days in Switzerland, Austria & Czech Republic
- 25 Paris: Best Baguette of 2015