Trying to figure out our Borders itinerary. We will be headed there on a Wednesday morning after two nights in D&G. Assuming we do something in D&G in the morning, I am planning on half a day Wednesday in the Borders (staying in Melrose), full day Thursday, and half day Friday. I know I tend to try to cram things in, but would like to be more relaxed this trip...we CAN save places on my list for future trips.
I think I've narrowed my big wishes down to Floors Castle, Traquair House, and Mellerstain House. Due to opening times Mellerstain, this has to be on Friday. Also, Dryburgh Abbey, Melrose Abbey and Jedburgh Abbey. Plus visiting the towns themselves (Melrose, Peebles?, St. Abb's and nearby Eye mouth).
My question is, how long in general to plan for the abbeys? Do we do all 3 or cut one out. Do I also need to cut something else out (which would be Floors). Thinking Traquair House Weds and an abbey (or just Traquair), Floors Thursday and two abbeys (or all 3), and then Mellerstain Friday.
My other question is does anyone have a restaurant in The Borders (or D&G) that they particularly love? We are celebrating my father in laws 70th and also inlaws 40th wedding anniversary.
Finally, where to stop to break up the drive from Aberdeen to Dumfries and Galloway region at the start if the week?
Thanks as always
Scotland: Borders questions (abbeys, itinerary, eats), Dumfries & Galloway
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Norway Advice
- 2 Renfe site
- 3 Where is this place in Denmark?
- 4 Europe in winter
- 5 Are you following Scotland's upcoming vote on independence?
- 6 Lost SD card 32.0 GB in Europe on June 2013
- 7 Cornwall or Paris?
- 8 A bit MORE of the Camino de Santiago
- 9 Italy tours
- 10 Two Days in Prague
- 11 Jamikins and Bikerscott Head Back to Le Marche
- 12 How many nights in Vienna vs. Salzburg?
- 13 Giverny in early October?
- 14 Italy- Car Rental help- in a bit of a jam
- 15 Trip Report, part 1
- 16 Madrid has much less to offer than Barcelona...
- 17 4-5 Days in Switzerland before Paris? Is Berne the place to go?
- 18 Madrid Apartment Rentals
- 19 Rome, and Eastern Europe by older single woman
- 20 Train Travel - Paris to Brussels & Bruges
- 21 20th ANNIVERSARY TRIP ITALY Rome, Florence, Tuscany & other nearby towns.
- 22 Looking for Suggestions - 12 Day Agenda for Greece
- 23 cell phone usage in Italy (US)
- 24 Budapest Parliament Tickets Online
- 25 URGENT HELP- Traveling soon for Croatia, B & H, Slovenia, Montenegro