Trying to figure out our Borders itinerary. We will be headed there on a Wednesday morning after two nights in D&G. Assuming we do something in D&G in the morning, I am planning on half a day Wednesday in the Borders (staying in Melrose), full day Thursday, and half day Friday. I know I tend to try to cram things in, but would like to be more relaxed this trip...we CAN save places on my list for future trips.
I think I've narrowed my big wishes down to Floors Castle, Traquair House, and Mellerstain House. Due to opening times Mellerstain, this has to be on Friday. Also, Dryburgh Abbey, Melrose Abbey and Jedburgh Abbey. Plus visiting the towns themselves (Melrose, Peebles?, St. Abb's and nearby Eye mouth).
My question is, how long in general to plan for the abbeys? Do we do all 3 or cut one out. Do I also need to cut something else out (which would be Floors). Thinking Traquair House Weds and an abbey (or just Traquair), Floors Thursday and two abbeys (or all 3), and then Mellerstain Friday.
My other question is does anyone have a restaurant in The Borders (or D&G) that they particularly love? We are celebrating my father in laws 70th and also inlaws 40th wedding anniversary.
Finally, where to stop to break up the drive from Aberdeen to Dumfries and Galloway region at the start if the week?
Thanks as always
Scotland: Borders questions (abbeys, itinerary, eats), Dumfries & Galloway
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Guidebook for Iceland
- 2 Family vacay for 6 weeks with 2 Toddlers
- 3 Budget family trip to Europe
- 4 VAT refund Q--new carryon bag ??
- 5 Honeymoon in Provence - 14 day itinerary help please
- 6 Paris for a Week – Looking for a Day Trip Outside the City
- 7 Our Brief Bavarian Break: Christmas Markets
- 8 Euro Trivia Quiz #17 - British Train Trivia
- 9 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 10 Airport ATMs
- 11 visa question
- 12 Tripadvisor fined in Italy over fake reviews
- 13 Spain and Portugal in Depth
- 14 How to decide where to go in Europe
- 15 Pasteurized Cheese in Paris
- 16 Two Weeks in France, reposting TR
- 17 Northern Italy Itinerary Help
- 18 FCO-area hotel advice, family of 4 with young children
- 19 By train to and out of Prague
- 20 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 21 Truffles, Tajarin & Turin…Two weeks in the Piemonte Region of Italy
- 22 Why don't the French use shower curtains
- 23 5 Observations About Paris
- 24 Euro Trivia quiz #17 - People and Places #2
- 25 Berlin