Trying to figure out our Borders itinerary. We will be headed there on a Wednesday morning after two nights in D&G. Assuming we do something in D&G in the morning, I am planning on half a day Wednesday in the Borders (staying in Melrose), full day Thursday, and half day Friday. I know I tend to try to cram things in, but would like to be more relaxed this trip...we CAN save places on my list for future trips.
I think I've narrowed my big wishes down to Floors Castle, Traquair House, and Mellerstain House. Due to opening times Mellerstain, this has to be on Friday. Also, Dryburgh Abbey, Melrose Abbey and Jedburgh Abbey. Plus visiting the towns themselves (Melrose, Peebles?, St. Abb's and nearby Eye mouth).
My question is, how long in general to plan for the abbeys? Do we do all 3 or cut one out. Do I also need to cut something else out (which would be Floors). Thinking Traquair House Weds and an abbey (or just Traquair), Floors Thursday and two abbeys (or all 3), and then Mellerstain Friday.
My other question is does anyone have a restaurant in The Borders (or D&G) that they particularly love? We are celebrating my father in laws 70th and also inlaws 40th wedding anniversary.
Finally, where to stop to break up the drive from Aberdeen to Dumfries and Galloway region at the start if the week?
Thanks as always
Scotland: Borders questions (abbeys, itinerary, eats), Dumfries & Galloway
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Taormina & Mt Etna
- 2 travel insurance
- 3 ferry messina to reggio calabria
- 4 Greece for a month with a baby
- 5 Recommended drivers for Tuscany
- 6 2 Days in Brussels
- 7 hotel near Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen
- 8 Monet's Giverny
- 9 Taxi from CDG to Paris for 4. Cost?
- 10 Restaurants in San Sebastian
- 11 7 Days in Greece. Islands along with Athens ??
- 12 Munich Day Trips
- 13 Cookware in France
- 14 Innsbruck or Interlaken/Jungfrau for winter activities in May
- 15 Train from Barcelona-Saints to Estacio de Franca
- 16 700 die off Italian coast in boat accident.
- 17 Student with no visa: Will I be denied re-entry into Germany???
- 18 wedding abroad
- 19 2 Weeks in Spain for a wedding in Leon.
- 20 London, Vienna, Prague Trip Report -- Part 5 First Full Day in Vienna
- 21 London, Vienna, Prague Trip Report -- Part 4 First Evening in Vienna
- 22 Three weeks in Italy with a two-year old
- 23 Paris or Rome in March or possibly September/October
- 24 10 nights in Southern Spain: Itinerary & Questions
- 25 Vespa Tour - Florence