We have updated our plan. We will be skipping York and will stay the first night in Cambridge, see the sites a bit (knowing this is short) and hopping the train to Edinburgh. We're excited about train travel and know the first 2 days will be tight (cranky, jet lagged, whiny).
I don't know how long to stay in Edinburgh. Originally felt 4 days would be nice--history, castle, Holyrood, wandering around old town. Day trips to Stirling, Roslyn, (and can we squeeze in a trip to Hadrian's wall or am I crazy?) are thoughts as well. We don't want to hop from place to place for accomodations. And with more day trips, we'll need to stay longer
Then thought 5-6 days in a central Scotland location from a home base with a rental car from Edinburgh (thank you for that advice). We want to see Inverness (in passing), Culloden, Eileen Donan, Jacobite train (at least one way), Skye vs Mull and some scenery--we enjoy driving, but we don't want to have scenery overload like we had on a non-stop driving trip in Alaska. Not a trip to hike this time. Plus keeping a 10 year old entertained a bit (sheep dogs in action?). Asking for a lot I know.
Ideas for a central home base and things to see would be much appreciated.
Actual places to stay would be nice too--budget per night I'd like to keep slim around 100 pounds per night.
Total time we have is 3 weeks--landing/leaving from London with 6 days in London to finish the trip.
Whew! With that wordy post, I'll end.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Villa Honegg: an insider's tip for the Central Switzerland
- 2 Trip report: Portugal, Barcelona and Switzerland
- 3 La Coruna or Santiago or both?
- 4 Rome or Venice first
- 5 What to do? Free evenings in Prague and Vienna
- 6 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 7 No Reservations...our laidback Paris Christmas
- 8 Shannon Airport - Mobile Data Card
- 9 Selecting the right Travel Pass (or not at all)
- 10 Rest in Peace, Colonel Chilcott
- 11 Europe First Timers
- 12 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 13 Scotland - drive around or form bases ?
- 14 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 15 4 weeks entailing 1 wk Greece and 3 wks in Italy
- 16 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 17 Athens Help
- 18 Can you tell me about using "The Fork" for reserving and savings?
- 19 Paris GTG October 6 - 14?
- 20 Trip report for Budapest, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich
- 21 Lille Braderie 2017
- 22 Help with Greek islands itinerary-which islands to pick!
- 23 Are les plats ("Belon") oysters in Paris yet?
- 24 Cruising (not sailing) in Croatia..worried about noise
- 25 Thinking about the Fjords