We have updated our plan. We will be skipping York and will stay the first night in Cambridge, see the sites a bit (knowing this is short) and hopping the train to Edinburgh. We're excited about train travel and know the first 2 days will be tight (cranky, jet lagged, whiny).
I don't know how long to stay in Edinburgh. Originally felt 4 days would be nice--history, castle, Holyrood, wandering around old town. Day trips to Stirling, Roslyn, (and can we squeeze in a trip to Hadrian's wall or am I crazy?) are thoughts as well. We don't want to hop from place to place for accomodations. And with more day trips, we'll need to stay longer
Then thought 5-6 days in a central Scotland location from a home base with a rental car from Edinburgh (thank you for that advice). We want to see Inverness (in passing), Culloden, Eileen Donan, Jacobite train (at least one way), Skye vs Mull and some scenery--we enjoy driving, but we don't want to have scenery overload like we had on a non-stop driving trip in Alaska. Not a trip to hike this time. Plus keeping a 10 year old entertained a bit (sheep dogs in action?). Asking for a lot I know.
Ideas for a central home base and things to see would be much appreciated.
Actual places to stay would be nice too--budget per night I'd like to keep slim around 100 pounds per night.
Total time we have is 3 weeks--landing/leaving from London with 6 days in London to finish the trip.
Whew! With that wordy post, I'll end.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 8ish days Zurich to Como...
- 2 3 Month Europe Itineray -- please critique
- 3 Greek fuel cost
- 4 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 5 Love buying beauty products to take back home? Here are the ones to avoid!
- 6 No Periods in British Written English!
- 7 Train tickets, Swiss pass or eurail
- 8 Beach + City + Hiking + Art + Views + Food =
- 9 Can I do Stonehenge and Bath from Isle of Wight in 1 day?
- 10 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 11 Day trips from Florence
- 12 Aparthotel Adagio Paris XV feedback
- 13 Italy, beyond the most common Tourist Destinations
- 14 May get together in Paris
- 15 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 16 Madrid/Lisbon
- 17 itinerary help: 18 days in Wales/Scotland
- 18 Planning a Trip to Greece
- 19 Accommodation referrals Trieste, Gorizia and Cormons
- 20 Seville- Ronda drive time
- 21 What crazy coincidence or chance meeting have you had while traveling?
- 22 bavaria itinerary in may with a 3 year old
- 23 Dinner get-together in Paris?
- 24 Wine tasting in Granada, Seville without driving
- 25 Seeking Andalusia itinerary recommendation