We have updated our plan. We will be skipping York and will stay the first night in Cambridge, see the sites a bit (knowing this is short) and hopping the train to Edinburgh. We're excited about train travel and know the first 2 days will be tight (cranky, jet lagged, whiny).
I don't know how long to stay in Edinburgh. Originally felt 4 days would be nice--history, castle, Holyrood, wandering around old town. Day trips to Stirling, Roslyn, (and can we squeeze in a trip to Hadrian's wall or am I crazy?) are thoughts as well. We don't want to hop from place to place for accomodations. And with more day trips, we'll need to stay longer
Then thought 5-6 days in a central Scotland location from a home base with a rental car from Edinburgh (thank you for that advice). We want to see Inverness (in passing), Culloden, Eileen Donan, Jacobite train (at least one way), Skye vs Mull and some scenery--we enjoy driving, but we don't want to have scenery overload like we had on a non-stop driving trip in Alaska. Not a trip to hike this time. Plus keeping a 10 year old entertained a bit (sheep dogs in action?). Asking for a lot I know.
Ideas for a central home base and things to see would be much appreciated.
Actual places to stay would be nice too--budget per night I'd like to keep slim around 100 pounds per night.
Total time we have is 3 weeks--landing/leaving from London with 6 days in London to finish the trip.
Whew! With that wordy post, I'll end.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 13 Days with 13-year-olds in Greece
- 2 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 3 Ireland Trip Itenary
- 4 Ger's Trip to Rome & Bologna
- 5 Firt time VISA applicant
- 6 Spain and Portugal - 2 weeks in Mid-July - help with itinerary
- 7 Murren to Prague
- 8 Rome Bus Routes - a list
- 9 best place in london for indian food without paying an arm and a leg
- 10 Vegetarian Food in Spain & Portugal
- 11 Train in Switzerland from Basel to Zermatt to Zurich
- 12 4 Days In Northern Italy advice
- 13 "Paris? Again?" And an odd pickpocketing
- 14 10 days in Italy with 5 and 10 year olds in July
- 15 Help needed/wanted to central/east Europe
- 16 Le Marche Research Help
- 17 question on Barcelona itinerary
- 18 Need Information about French Alps
- 19 Short stay London with Aussie kids or not?
- 20 Fes to Southern Spain (Jerez, Malaga)
- 21 France Itinerary Advice
- 22 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 23 lurento sports car rental - anyone?
- 24 Any good apps for Amsterdam?
- 25 Barcelona, Bilboa, Cuena, Madrid