After much deliberation and support from fellow fodorites, I planned my Spain & Paris trip this Aug. Just like all of you, I ran pillar to post to submit gazillion documents for the application (hate paperwork but yeah I know it’s a necessary evil!).
Within 8 days, I hear from the agent that my visa has been approved by Spanish embassy. Happiness follows!
Then the visa agent’s delivery boy comes to hand over the passport to me. I inspect each letter on the visa (as I always do) to ensure all is ok.
What do I realise?
The embassy has mentioned correct “From” date and their “Until” date of visa validity is good one week beyond what I need for this trip. So all ok till now.
BUT, they have wrongly calculated the “Duration” of the trip as only 10 days! Good one week short of my itinerary, which was duly mentioned in the covering letter, supported by flight bookings & hotel confirmations submitted at the time of visa application!!
Despite making a thorough and systematic file AND engaging the services of a professional visa agent, this fiasco happened. With exact 2 weeks to go, I’m trying to finish office work before I go on long leave. I am going to be traveling a lot within the country for work & personal reasons for the next 2 weeks.
When I spoke to the agent, his answer was shocking! He said that as the flight tickets were not done through him, he did not check the validity of the visa issued! I told him that he had access to my travel plan when I submitted all my documents for application. Ideally, this should have been mapped against actual visa approval to ensure all was in order. This is the minimum to be done in lieu of his visa facilitation fee. Anyway, I was told I should re-apply requesting for rectification of the mistake citing earlier application. I am also supposed to re-submit all my papers again! Here I was, making plans to catch some sleep & peace in the evening (TGIF) before I start traveling tomo morning. And now, I am making another covering letter and obtaining stipulated originals of visa documents along with set of itinerary (flight + hotels).
Anyway, I am too excited about the trip to let this affect me. I’m hopeful all will go right this time!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 9 days in London
- 2 What do after Bernia Express?
- 3 Santorini lodging
- 4 Germany family road trip help!
- 5 Daytime flights - US East Coast to Paris?
- 6 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 7 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 8 "Best" train route Interlaken to Salzburg
- 9 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 10 Starting my Paris plan for May
- 11 Best place to view alps from Italy
- 12 Bedbugs in Paris.
- 13 Vatican Museums and Scavi Tour
- 14 Vacation near Lake Lugano and Lake Como
- 15 Lyon
- 16 Self drive tour companies
- 17 Italian lakes
- 18 Train tickets, Swiss pass or eurail
- 19 2 WEEK EUROPE ITINERARY
- 20 Upcoming trip to Penzance, Cornwall
- 21 Italian Honeymoon Advice
- 22 France, UK and Ireland
- 23 Driving Excursions/Day Trips outside of Edinburgh
- 24 French theater in Paris
- 25 Best way to learn a foreign language?