After much deliberation and support from fellow fodorites, I planned my Spain & Paris trip this Aug. Just like all of you, I ran pillar to post to submit gazillion documents for the application (hate paperwork but yeah I know it’s a necessary evil!).
Within 8 days, I hear from the agent that my visa has been approved by Spanish embassy. Happiness follows!
Then the visa agent’s delivery boy comes to hand over the passport to me. I inspect each letter on the visa (as I always do) to ensure all is ok.
What do I realise?
The embassy has mentioned correct “From” date and their “Until” date of visa validity is good one week beyond what I need for this trip. So all ok till now.
BUT, they have wrongly calculated the “Duration” of the trip as only 10 days! Good one week short of my itinerary, which was duly mentioned in the covering letter, supported by flight bookings & hotel confirmations submitted at the time of visa application!!
Despite making a thorough and systematic file AND engaging the services of a professional visa agent, this fiasco happened. With exact 2 weeks to go, I’m trying to finish office work before I go on long leave. I am going to be traveling a lot within the country for work & personal reasons for the next 2 weeks.
When I spoke to the agent, his answer was shocking! He said that as the flight tickets were not done through him, he did not check the validity of the visa issued! I told him that he had access to my travel plan when I submitted all my documents for application. Ideally, this should have been mapped against actual visa approval to ensure all was in order. This is the minimum to be done in lieu of his visa facilitation fee. Anyway, I was told I should re-apply requesting for rectification of the mistake citing earlier application. I am also supposed to re-submit all my papers again! Here I was, making plans to catch some sleep & peace in the evening (TGIF) before I start traveling tomo morning. And now, I am making another covering letter and obtaining stipulated originals of visa documents along with set of itinerary (flight + hotels).
Anyway, I am too excited about the trip to let this affect me. I’m hopeful all will go right this time!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Rome Water Shortage
- 2 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 3 The DCC scam is spreading
- 4 10 days/2 kids/Munich and surrounding areas
- 5 Getting around London
- 6 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 7 Advise for driving from Lecce, to Pescara, Italy.
- 8 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 9 Paris in August
- 10 Train travel to and from Paris
- 11 Christmas in Spain
- 12 Best tour or day trip from EL Ferrol Spain
- 13 Choosing Greek Island Base for island hopping
- 14 Vigo Spain????
- 15 Advice on Spring/Fall trips to Scotland and Alsace
- 16 London, Brussels, France, Berner Oberland and Vienna (in 72 days)
- 17 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 18 3 weeks in Scotland and Germany?
- 19 14 days from Frankfurt to Paris by train
- 20 Transportation/itinerary help from Rome cruise terminal
- 21 Guided Group Tour of Italy--opinions please
- 22 Andalucia Spain
- 23 Haarlem or Amsterdam as Netherlands base?
- 24 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
- 25 8 days in Ireland -- where to go??!!