My husband and I have a cruise planned for the above mentioned places for next year and I'm hoping that some of you may be able to give me some guidance on some of these destinations. I am in a small, manual wheelchair (about 20 lbs) and cannot walk at all. More than 2-3 stairs is undoable and gravel and sand are quite difficult. However cobble stones, uneven terrain, and unpaved areas are not an issue.
Firstly, we normally don't do cruises in Europe - I really prefer to have more time to explore and really experience new places. We are choosing to do a cruise this time because we have wanted to go to Greece for years, but it is quite intimidating for me as I know that it is less accessible than most places we have travelled. I'm hoping to be able to do SOMETHING on the Greek islands and hopefully enjoy it enough to be able to visit for a longer period of time down the road.
Santorini - I know this will be extremely difficult. I've read that the cable car is accessible, but I am hoping that someone that has been there recently or knows it well might be able to describe the situation a bit better for me since everything I've read has been quite brief. At the top of the cable car would it be possible to walk around or are there stairs in every direction? Is a private driver an option? If a driver drove us to say Oia or some other town, would I then be able to get around or are there still stairs everywhere? I know that taxis are limited on the island so I'm just concerned that once we get to the top we'll be stuck. My husband can carry me up several steps, but certainly not flights at a time.
Mykonos - I've read that this is much more doable than Santorini. Any advice/suggestions? We don't really plan to spend time at the beach as we'd much rather use our limited time to explore the town.
Athens - I know the Acropolis is accessible (yay!!). Any advice/suggestions welcome.
Messina - We plan to go to Taormina here via taxi or private driver. In general, does Taormina seem relatively wheelchair accessible? Flat or hilly? I havent been able to find much information on the city in regard to wheelchair accessibility.
Naples - Here we are deiciding between Capri or Sorrento. I know that the ferries are accessible, but my concern is how much we will be able to see in either one of these places once we get there. If you had to recommend one or the other based on my needs, which would it be?
I want to add that I have travelled to quite a many places where people had warned me against visiting and ended up having no problems at all. I am quite mobile and we're pretty adventurous.
Just for reference, these are some of the places I've visited that were initially questionable, yet I ended up having no issues getting around...
Tuscan hilltowns(the only challenge here was that some of them were quite steep, but we made it work)
Cinque Terre (though not all areas of all the towns)
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Please critique my itinerary in Italy
- 2 4 Days in Amalfi in April - Without a car??
- 3 Lisbon-mini trip report
- 4 Itinerary check for Sicily, please!!
- 5 Hello -Please- Excuse Me- Good-Bye - Thank You ???
- 6 Article on assistance for US citizens with difficulties abroad
- 7 Bridging the gap between US and Europe
- 8 Scotland-Looking for itinerary advice for 9 day trip
- 9 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 10 We're here!
- 11 Venice, Florence - too many museums.
- 12 10 days in Paris and......
- 13 Budapest & Prague
- 14 Edinburgh Tattoo-2017-Tickets
- 15 Suggestions of Paris things to do Christmas and New Years?
- 16 Traveling Greece without reservations
- 17 Destination from London by train, advice please
- 18 driving from ancona to rome
- 19 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 20 Need Info - Vienna, Prague, Venice, Geneva, Paris,
- 21 Malaga City Center Hotels
- 22 Brouhaha in Britain Over New 5 Pound Notes!
- 23 Car Hire in Croatia, any recommendations?
- 24 Itinerary Help - ?Prague, Austria, Italy
- 25 Purchase Train Ticket Madrid to Toledo Ahead?
Santorini, Mykonos, Athens, Messina/Taormina, Naples(Capri or Sorrento) in a wheelchair? Help!