We are preparing for a trip to Mantova and several places in Emilia Romagna (Ravenna, Brisighella, and Bologna) in October. We will stay in Mantova three nights. If we feel that we have seen most of the good things in that city by the second night, we may do a day trip. Sabbioneta has been suggested and its history is intriguing. But there's very little on Fodor's or elsewhere about what the place feels like.
Doing some virtual walking through the village using Google street view, I can't find any signs of life, just a single person every now and then walking down an empty street, like a Fellini movie set. I don't see clusters of cafes, restaurants, tabacchi, etc. I know that it's a planned Renaissance town, but it looks quite dead. Another thing: it appears that you must take a guided tour through the best historic buildings. Ugh. Hate tours unless necessary. We would take a bus from Mantova (we won't have a car) but that's okay.
An alternative would be a day trip to Verona, about 40 minutes by train. Obviously a very different day trip. I think I've already talked myself into Verona....but just in case I am missing something about Sabbioneta, here's my question post.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 6 Days in Italy
- 2 Just curious--why Airbnb?
- 3 Where??-2 night trip from London
- 4 First trip to Europe with teens 14 and 15 Spain or Italy?
- 5 two weeks in England including a mini Fodor get together
- 6 Shuttle from CDG into Paris
- 7 Advice on Taxis vs Transfers in Santorini
- 8 Maybe your worst nighmare...
- 9 Spain, Portugal, 10 days family of 7.
- 10 London and Paris - 3 days each
- 11 UK 5 weeks How Far Can We Go!
- 12 Bike rental - Aix en Provence area
- 13 Austria & Switzerland- winter or summer!
- 14 To the top of Europe, and back again.
- 15 Have Toddler, Will Travel
- 16 Suggestions for driving Cadiz to Zaragosa
- 17 Amsterdam Mayor retires
- 18 Roman (and Florentine, Venetian) Holiday with la Principessa
- 19 Stu Tower
- 20 Single Female Traveler in Italy
- 21 Girl Talk -- Clothing for Amalfi Coast and Rome, 9/28-10/8
- 22 Tasting sherry in Jerez
- 23 Two weeks in Greece early October
- 24 Crete Holiday
- 25 DeGaulle to the dock at Le Pecq?