I just spent a weekend in Rye, a small town in Sussex, England. It is a really beautiful place, with lots of little cobbled streets and Tudor-style buildings. The town has amazing history, with walls dating back to the 1300's and a historic castle/tower to guard against French invasion. American author Henry James also lived there for a time, and his house and garden can be visited.
I highly recommend it as a travel destination, and it can even be done as a day trip from London if you are pressed for time. I wrote about my trip and posted lots of photos on my blog if you would like to read more: http://www.aladyinlondon.com/2013/02/rye-sussex-winter-travel.html
Rye: Most Beautiful Town in England
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Terrorism in Europe
- 2 Planning a trip to Northern Italy/Lake Como
- 3 Flight into London out Frankfurt (stop Paris, Amsterdam Prague)?
- 4 Night Train - Need help
- 5 Paris Markets for a 5 Course Meal
- 6 Spain and Portugal Trip Help
- 7 White Villages base?
- 8 Traveling to France
- 9 Need suggestions for Sienna and Orvieto
- 10 20 year-old female planning solo Europe trip -- advice??
- 11 18 hour layover in Helsinki
- 12 Berlin Recommendations & Trip Highlights
- 13 using airbnb for the first time...
- 14 Como or Bellagio hotel needed
- 15 Barcelona hotel: convenient but not hustle bustle city location & Madrid??
- 16 Ideas for Dec (Christmas) holiday - Where to go??
- 17 Our Adventure to the Southeast of England and London
- 18 Stamps... I'm confused!
- 19 Anyone used a tour company to see Mainland Greece, suggestions please?
- 20 Swiss Air seat assignments
- 21 London GTG late September?
- 22 Leaving for Paris in three weeks, what are the must "book ahead" sights?
- 23 Which town to choose for lodging in Cinque Terre
- 24 Three day visit to Loire Valley
- 25 Car Rentals in Ireland - the devil is in the small print!