I just spent a weekend in Rye, a small town in Sussex, England. It is a really beautiful place, with lots of little cobbled streets and Tudor-style buildings. The town has amazing history, with walls dating back to the 1300's and a historic castle/tower to guard against French invasion. American author Henry James also lived there for a time, and his house and garden can be visited.
I highly recommend it as a travel destination, and it can even be done as a day trip from London if you are pressed for time. I wrote about my trip and posted lots of photos on my blog if you would like to read more: http://www.aladyinlondon.com/2013/02/rye-sussex-winter-travel.html
Rye: Most Beautiful Town in England
- 1 Essen and Nordrhein-Westfalen
- 2 Germany and Italy
- 3 Gatwick Express 5 for 3 -- available at Victoria station or only online?
- 4 Which tour company would be best?
- 5 UK Trip, Final Chapter
- 6 First Timer - Itinerary Help - Europe tour for 22 days
- 7 A bit of Scotland, wing mirror casualty, 7 days in London, and a Fodors GTG
- 8 Club Quarters near Trafalgar Square
- 9 Please, assure me that Turkey is safe...
- 10 Bathrooms Along This Itinerary (Day in Rome)
- 11 Scavi -- Photocopy of ID Sufficient?
- 12 FCO to Fast Train and Best way to travel back from Naples to Rome
- 13 Berchtesgaden & Salzburg
- 14 When to exchange US dollars to Euros
- 15 Traveling to the Netherlands with my 10 year old daughter
- 16 Train tickets - Venice to Florence to Rome
- 17 Barcelona + Venice Honeymoon in June
- 18 London at Xmas
- 19 Barcelona neighborhoods and hotels
- 20 See northern lights,end of 2013: Norway/Sweden/Finland
- 21 Travel to Italy with kids...where to stay
- 22 Hotel question...first time to Paris!
- 23 BRITISH ISLES---GLOBUS TOURS
- 24 Motor Home North Italy Route Suggestions
- 25 Day trip from The Hague to Brussels or Bruges - possible?