There was a bombing yesterday on the Moscow-St Petersburg train (the 'fast' daytime train, roughly equivalent to the Acela between New York and Washington). At least 25 people lost their lives.
At this point we are recommending to our clients that they NOT take the train (either the daytime train or the overnight, known as Red Arrow and similiar names, that depart at approximately midnight from Moscow and St Petersburg and arrive in the morning at their destination). Despite other concerns, we are encouraging our clients to book on the flights between the two cities.
I have a great deal of experience personally in taking both trains and planes throughout Russia; I live in Moscow part time, and have traveled there regularly for the past 10 years as well as work with hundreds of people visiting each year, and it pains me to recommend this. Until we see improvements in the security systems, though, we believe that the planes are safer than trains in Russia.
Marc David Miller
Russian Trains-Tragic Bombing and Recommendation
- 1 lake como (italy) or lugano/lucerne (switzerland)?
- 2 Need restaurant recommendations for cities in Croatia
- 3 Recommendation - Paris apartment for only 3 nights
- 4 Moving to England at 16: Driving Laws?
- 5 French/Italian Alps
- 6 Mykonos, Greece Ferry Help Please
- 7 Paris Transportation- Hotel near Saint Suplice Station to CDG Airport
- 8 Cross-Pollinate apartments for London? Any experience?
- 9 Getting the best our of Europe
- 10 Derby - What to do with 1.5 days?
- 11 Am I too fat too travel?
- 12 Driving the Mediterranean - Spain, France & Italy - 3 weeks - August 2013
- 13 Trip Report: SE England - Stately Homes & Gardens in Kent
- 14 Amsterdam - Germany and Wine!
- 15 July reservations for County Kerry?
- 16 Scotland: Mellerstain House or Floors Castle?
- 17 14 days Ireland/Scotland Trip Report
- 18 Kids, drugs, and overnight flights...advice??!!
- 19 Heathrow Terminal 5. 90 minutes layover, is it enough
- 20 london travelcrard
- 21 Solo Female First Time Traveler - Scared to Death
- 22 Prague Hotels -Old Town
- 23 Scotland & Ireland - do I HAVE to pick 1 for 7-day trip?
- 24 Yorkshire Dales and Moors home base? (and other questions)
- 25 France Itinerary Help