I will be traveling with my daughter next month to London to help her settle in for her year abroad. While she will have an entire academic year to discover London, I will only have a week. I last visited ages ago so it will all seem new to me. I don't want to jam pack my time with sightseeing, but would rather visit the most important historical sights and maybe walk around and get a feel for the city. I'd really like to avoid anything too touristy/gimmicky. I could also use some restaurant recommendations. I have a reservation at Hutong and I am looking into others, but if anyone can suggest a good Indian restaurant I would appreciate it! We are staying near the St. James tube stop, I believe, at St. Ermin's hotel.
Here is a rough itinerary:
Arrive in the am from an overnight flight. Settle into hotel. Tea at the Orangery. (I saw this somewhere on this forum and that sounded lovely for Day One!)
Hop-on/hop-off bus. Not sure about this. Would like to get an overview of the city, but if it is too touristy we don't have to do it. If I decide to get the London Pass, it might be worth it, but not sure. A walking tour near our hotel would also be nice.
Dim Sum reservation at Hutong. This cuts into our day (12:00-2:00 res) so if there is anything we can do in/around The Shard please advise!
Tower of London
Walk around a shopping district - maybe King's Road or Covent Garden. We'd like to see more independent shops than big chains or luxury brands. Not into vintage though!
Keep this day free to shop for her dorm, etc.
Am I forgetting anything that you feel I absolutely must see? I am still getting a feel for the layout of the city, but the sights listed above are the ones I'd like to visit on the inside. Of course I'd like to walk by any others - Buckingham Palace, London Bridge, etc. If you could make suggestions for walk-bys on the above days, I would appreciate it.
Thank you for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 6 days in Stockholm - itinerary, questions
- 2 Help me make this possible!
- 3 Croatia Intinerary August 2017
- 4 Car Rentals in Ireland
- 5 Road Trip - Ireland, Scotland and England
- 6 International drivers permit
- 7 Paris Restaurants esp in Marais
- 8 Help with Scotland Itinerary
- 9 First visit to London
- 10 Train from Paris to Reims for day trip
- 11 ATM
- 12 Is Dalamatian Coast similar to Amalfi Coast in terms of travel logistics?
- 13 ATM help
- 14 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 15 One evening : Lausanne or Geneve ?
- 16 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz #185
- 17 Allocating time in Barcelona - Gaudi tickets
- 18 Paris..The St. Germain area.
- 19 First Timers Traveling to Italy - Help!
- 20 Spain Itinerary
- 21 Why do you visit X or Y?
- 22 No PNR code on Trenitalia online ticket?
- 23 Mobile wifi for Europe travel
- 24 8-days in Greece, Rhodes or Crete?
- 25 Five Days With Rabbies in Devon and Cornwall