I will be traveling with my daughter next month to London to help her settle in for her year abroad. While she will have an entire academic year to discover London, I will only have a week. I last visited ages ago so it will all seem new to me. I don't want to jam pack my time with sightseeing, but would rather visit the most important historical sights and maybe walk around and get a feel for the city. I'd really like to avoid anything too touristy/gimmicky. I could also use some restaurant recommendations. I have a reservation at Hutong and I am looking into others, but if anyone can suggest a good Indian restaurant I would appreciate it! We are staying near the St. James tube stop, I believe, at St. Ermin's hotel.
Here is a rough itinerary:
Arrive in the am from an overnight flight. Settle into hotel. Tea at the Orangery. (I saw this somewhere on this forum and that sounded lovely for Day One!)
Hop-on/hop-off bus. Not sure about this. Would like to get an overview of the city, but if it is too touristy we don't have to do it. If I decide to get the London Pass, it might be worth it, but not sure. A walking tour near our hotel would also be nice.
Dim Sum reservation at Hutong. This cuts into our day (12:00-2:00 res) so if there is anything we can do in/around The Shard please advise!
Tower of London
Walk around a shopping district - maybe King's Road or Covent Garden. We'd like to see more independent shops than big chains or luxury brands. Not into vintage though!
Keep this day free to shop for her dorm, etc.
Am I forgetting anything that you feel I absolutely must see? I am still getting a feel for the layout of the city, but the sights listed above are the ones I'd like to visit on the inside. Of course I'd like to walk by any others - Buckingham Palace, London Bridge, etc. If you could make suggestions for walk-bys on the above days, I would appreciate it.
Thank you for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Suggested Italy Itinerary
- 2 Malaga - places to stay and eat
- 3 Bernina Express mid-March
- 4 1 or 2 days in Reykjavík
- 5 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 6 Seville/Granada or Porto/Guim/Braga/Evora to impress 9 year old?
- 7 Questions about Polish sights
- 8 Italy
- 9 4 days itinerary for France
- 10 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 11 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 12 Trip route from Paris to Venice
- 13 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 14 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 15 Marksburg Castle Transport Question
- 16 Ireland travel passport question
- 17 Ireland and Scotland in July
- 18 where to stay in London?
- 19 3 days in Ortygia Sicily
- 20 vienna
- 21 Itinerary help needed: 10-11 days in Calabria, Siciily, and (maybe) Puglia
- 22 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 23 please help me plan first trip to europe
- 24 Tripcho Travel Guided Tours
- 25 Juangfrau / mt