We have just booked a 6-night trip to Rome in February with our kids, who will be 11 and 6 at the time.
As background, DH and I have been to Rome once 3 years ago. The kids have not been to Rome, but we took a Scandinavia/Russia cruise over the summer and we've also been to the UK. I would gauge their tolerance for museums/ruins at maybe the high end of average for their ages. I have a minor in art history (which is a totally weak qualification), and I think it helps that I can weave a bit of a story or give some background to things.
My questions are: What would be a great experience in Rome for the kids? Where are parks or piazzas where we can just kind let them play? (They LOVED Museumplein in Amsterdam) My eldest is a bit of a catastrophist so I'm thinking he would be impressed by Pompeii/Vesuvius--is that worth a day trip? I'm mentally planning to splurge on 1-2 tours... maybe a food tour? Colosseum tour? Pompeii tour? Any advice or tips at all would be very appreciated!
We definitely are not going to try and see it all. I would say we want to balance seeing stuff with plenty of free time for the kids.
Thank you for reading!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 [Needed Recs] Cheap, widely available, good wine in Italy?
- 2 Avoid Europcar!
- 3 Tent camping in France, Spain and Portugal
- 4 Visiting the Dordogne/Lot
- 5 Should We Go to the French Riviera in August?
- 6 quickest way to Prague
- 7 Paris for children
- 8 Trip Report- UK Gardens in May
- 9 Do I need a Swiss rail pass?
- 10 My Topic Title Edinburgh to Heathrow BA flight on Monday Question?
- 11 Scotland - We're Here!
- 12 Euro Travel & Trivia Quiz - Memorial Day Special
- 13 Private Guide in Cordoba, Spain
- 14 Favourite Alpine and Mediterranean place?
- 15 Changing Planes at Fiumicino
- 16 Spain itinerary and railway advise
- 17 Transport Christmas and NYE
- 18 Day Trip Suggestions from Munich
- 19 Germany/Switzerland Help
- 20 16 days in France and Italy
- 21 Madrid, Andalucia, Barcelona in May
- 22 10 days Greece in mid-Sept 2017
- 23 Nice/Villefranche/Monaco
- 24 Plitvace Lake 1 day or 2?
- 25 Feedback please on my itinerary Poland and Lithuania