We have just booked a 6-night trip to Rome in February with our kids, who will be 11 and 6 at the time.
As background, DH and I have been to Rome once 3 years ago. The kids have not been to Rome, but we took a Scandinavia/Russia cruise over the summer and we've also been to the UK. I would gauge their tolerance for museums/ruins at maybe the high end of average for their ages. I have a minor in art history (which is a totally weak qualification), and I think it helps that I can weave a bit of a story or give some background to things.
My questions are: What would be a great experience in Rome for the kids? Where are parks or piazzas where we can just kind let them play? (They LOVED Museumplein in Amsterdam) My eldest is a bit of a catastrophist so I'm thinking he would be impressed by Pompeii/Vesuvius--is that worth a day trip? I'm mentally planning to splurge on 1-2 tours... maybe a food tour? Colosseum tour? Pompeii tour? Any advice or tips at all would be very appreciated!
We definitely are not going to try and see it all. I would say we want to balance seeing stuff with plenty of free time for the kids.
Thank you for reading!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Advice on use of Toll roads in Portugal
- 2 Clocks forward one hour tonight
- 3 Spain: general question about Mondays and museums
- 4 Swiss registered car in Liechtenstein
- 5 Reviews of Paris restaurants: Tour d’Argent, Le Cinq, Ange20,...
- 6 Scotland Trip Report
- 7 Athens International airport
- 8 Visiting paris and italy can this itinerary work?
- 9 Give advice on Austria trip in the fall.....
- 10 Does Zurich have a hop on hop off bus system
- 11 Milan to Chamonix by bus
- 12 For a Taste of Four Cultures on Two Contınents
- 13 Cinqueterre
- 14 Photo tours Zurich Lucern areas
- 15 Something to do with my mother-in-law in Madrid
- 16 Road trip Italy
- 17 Thoughts on visiting Turkey this summer? Safe?
- 18 To Aeolians or Not? Please Critique our Sicily Itinerary for May/June
- 19 2017 Tulips, Amsterdam, Time(as in three days)
- 20 Ireland Itinerary- biting off more than we can chew?
- 21 Cordoba, Granada, Seville loop
- 22 Hilton CPH no loner
- 23 travel around Spain
- 24 French Wedding
- 25 Best way to walk up Gianicolo hill Rome