We have just booked a 6-night trip to Rome in February with our kids, who will be 11 and 6 at the time.
As background, DH and I have been to Rome once 3 years ago. The kids have not been to Rome, but we took a Scandinavia/Russia cruise over the summer and we've also been to the UK. I would gauge their tolerance for museums/ruins at maybe the high end of average for their ages. I have a minor in art history (which is a totally weak qualification), and I think it helps that I can weave a bit of a story or give some background to things.
My questions are: What would be a great experience in Rome for the kids? Where are parks or piazzas where we can just kind let them play? (They LOVED Museumplein in Amsterdam) My eldest is a bit of a catastrophist so I'm thinking he would be impressed by Pompeii/Vesuvius--is that worth a day trip? I'm mentally planning to splurge on 1-2 tours... maybe a food tour? Colosseum tour? Pompeii tour? Any advice or tips at all would be very appreciated!
We definitely are not going to try and see it all. I would say we want to balance seeing stuff with plenty of free time for the kids.
Thank you for reading!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Getting around London
- 2 European Sampler, 4 weeks, 6 countries?
- 3 Advise for driving from Lecce, to Pescara, Italy.
- 4 4 Greek islands- best way to hop?
- 5 The DCC scam is spreading
- 6 Paris and England, 14 days on the ground
- 7 Paris in August
- 8 Train travel to and from Paris
- 9 Christmas in Spain
- 10 Best tour or day trip from EL Ferrol Spain
- 11 Choosing Greek Island Base for island hopping
- 12 Vigo Spain????
- 13 Advice on Spring/Fall trips to Scotland and Alsace
- 14 London, Brussels, France, Berner Oberland and Vienna (in 72 days)
- 15 Rouen & Paris Anniversary Trip
- 16 3 weeks in Scotland and Germany?
- 17 14 days from Frankfurt to Paris by train
- 18 Transportation/itinerary help from Rome cruise terminal
- 19 Guided Group Tour of Italy--opinions please
- 20 Andalucia Spain
- 21 Haarlem or Amsterdam as Netherlands base?
- 22 Best boutique hotel in London for honeymoon
- 23 8 days in Ireland -- where to go??!!
- 24 SURPRISE TRIP
- 25 Champs Elysee: worth an afternoon or too tacky?