After checking earlier forums, I hoped for help/insight for my wife and I (early 60s), as we plan a short trip around the Christmas holidays this year, from the US to Malta (2 nights) and Rome (six nights). Art, culture, history, food are areas we're most drawn to in our travels, as well as people we encounter. Help here would specifically focus on a day-trip we're planning to take to Pompeii and the archeology museum in Naples. Ideally, we'd get a guided tour of both the old city of Pompeii and the archeology museum in one vigorous day, assuming we take the 7 am or 8 am train from Rome to Naples, and a return by train from Naples to Rome Termini, leaving at 7ish. So far, we've checked out agencies that offer tours with either a pick-up at the Naples train station or a meet-up at the archeology museum.
So, we're wondering what the best experiences of these tours might be. Or what to consider as we try to decide. Sometimes guided tour prices include the entry-costs of the sites, and we haven't come across any that are clear about that.
A) Has anybody had a terrific experience with a one-day, guided tour of Naples' Archeology Museum and Pompeii/Herculaneum?
B) Is it best to contract with commercial agencies, or are there private tour guides with whom we might pre-arrange a day to do such a day?
C) Comments on the best values, assuming we'd like the time to see, learn, walk, the sites themselves, etc., and we do NOT tend to enjoy the forced commercial visits for favored retail opportunity or lunch, etc. (Although we recognize the need of guides to stay close to their vendor partners as well).
Any help or enlightenment on this subject would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Milan or Turin
- 2 God Save the Queen?
- 3 Pompei, Naples and...Sorrento?
- 4 Christmas Markets France/Germany
- 5 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 6 9 Days in Spain
- 7 Paris to Italy
- 8 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 9 Iceland early december visit
- 10 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 11 Visiting Plitivce National Park
- 12 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 13 Ger’s Italian Trip Report: Padua, Ferrara, Siena, Perugia and Florence
- 14 Spanish Medical Providers
- 15 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 16 Italy Car Scam
- 17 London flat rental: the more I research, the more frustrating it becomes
- 18 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 19 Barcelona alternative
- 20 Apple Pay on London Transit
- 21 Frankfurt to UK
- 22 Piedmont, Cinque Terre, Lucca trip report
- 23 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 24 Boozing and Bathing in Budapest!
- 25 Daily budget for London (accommodation already paid for)