Myself & my boyfriend (both in our 30's and our 12 yr old) are going to Italy for 8 or 9 days, flying into Naples in mid August and out of Rome. (I know August is not ideal but it was our only option this year!)
Here is what we want to see near Naples:
Naples - Pompeii museum ( & see historical centre)
Amalfi (and boat trip along coast)
Ravello for the views
Capri if there is time (is it a must/ or too crowded in August?)
Some partial days by the pool/sea for the teenager!
I'm thinking 5 nights around Naples/Amalfi & 3 in Rome - is the the best split for what we want to see?
I have researched hotels for hours and while Sorrento is not calling to me I think is is the best base to see above and save time on travel?
Hotels with pools (whats left at this stage!) in Sorrento town seem overpriced and basic for our room budget (€130 - €160 per night) so I have begun to look at Sant'agata de gofii or Sant'Agnello meaning we have more chance of a pool/better teen friendly hotel with resturants in walking distance rather than staying in the hills of Sorrento and having to rely on shuttle buses to go for dinner etc, has anybody stayed in these areas with kids?
Is Massa Lubrensse just too far out for day trips?
Or would you suggest arriving in Naples (I've heard mixed review on the area) and staying there one night to see museum and Pompeii and then heading round to Amalfi and staying there for the 4 nights to travel around the coast?
I understand this will make it harder to get to Rome - boat to Salerno and then Train to Rome?
Sorry for all the questions, I just can't decide what is best!
Thanks in advance
Rome, Naples, Sorrento & Amalfi!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Wanting to spend 6 months in the French Countryside
- 2 Mont St Michel
- 3 Need Advice for my first family to Europe
- 4 Will I be able to add minutes to the phone I bought in Spain 3 years ago?
- 5 Amsterdam -Belgium -Germany -Amsterdam
- 6 Apartment in Rome - location opinions please
- 7 Small group tour for Vatican and Colosseum/Forum, ? catacombs
- 8 Apartments in Jun/Jul in Rome, Venice, Florence (family of 5)
- 9 Prague 3 nights - Top 10 things to do
- 10 Palm Sunday in Paris
- 11 Questions on Ferry from Bodrum to Rhodes
- 12 Champagne, Chocolates and Christmas, but no Chanel - Paris and Alsace
- 13 What Champagne House in Reims or Epernay for a day visit?
- 14 Venice to Wegen Switerzerland-suggestion for overnight near lake como
- 15 renting a car in Germany
- 16 Prague, Austria and Germany in 17 days
- 17 Tickets to Sagrada Familia
- 18 Paris in April?
- 19 Apartment and Area to Stay in Istanbul
- 20 Vienna - stay near train station or Innere Stadt?
- 21 Hair Straightener for Europe!
- 22 York, Lakes District in early May good choice? Or Elsewhere?
- 23 Trip to Italy - please weigh in with suggestions and tips!!
- 24 Any suggestions for accomodations in Venice Italy mid June?
- 25 Bergamo/Bellagio - suggestions?