Myself & my boyfriend (both in our 30's and our 12 yr old) are going to Italy for 8 or 9 days, flying into Naples in mid August and out of Rome. (I know August is not ideal but it was our only option this year!)
Here is what we want to see near Naples:
Naples - Pompeii museum ( & see historical centre)
Amalfi (and boat trip along coast)
Ravello for the views
Capri if there is time (is it a must/ or too crowded in August?)
Some partial days by the pool/sea for the teenager!
I'm thinking 5 nights around Naples/Amalfi & 3 in Rome - is the the best split for what we want to see?
I have researched hotels for hours and while Sorrento is not calling to me I think is is the best base to see above and save time on travel?
Hotels with pools (whats left at this stage!) in Sorrento town seem overpriced and basic for our room budget (€130 - €160 per night) so I have begun to look at Sant'agata de gofii or Sant'Agnello meaning we have more chance of a pool/better teen friendly hotel with resturants in walking distance rather than staying in the hills of Sorrento and having to rely on shuttle buses to go for dinner etc, has anybody stayed in these areas with kids?
Is Massa Lubrensse just too far out for day trips?
Or would you suggest arriving in Naples (I've heard mixed review on the area) and staying there one night to see museum and Pompeii and then heading round to Amalfi and staying there for the 4 nights to travel around the coast?
I understand this will make it harder to get to Rome - boat to Salerno and then Train to Rome?
Sorry for all the questions, I just can't decide what is best!
Thanks in advance
Rome, Naples, Sorrento & Amalfi!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Dublin, love it or hate it? please tell me why
- 2 Our October trip to Andalucia!
- 3 Upgrading second class Swiss pass to first class for individual train rides
- 4 Starting to plan for 3.5 weeks in northern Spain, May 2015
- 5 Charles de Gaulle to Gare du Nord with limitations?
- 6 Accommodations in or near Brussels with parking
- 7 Three ferries to Mull
- 8 DIRECT trains from Rome FCO Airport to Venice start 12/14/2014
- 9 Rome, Florence, Pisa, Cinque Terre, Venice, Florence
- 10 Favorite London spot for roast beef and Yorkshire pudding?
- 11 Andalucia - very early trip thinking - reactions?
- 12 Chamonix to Paris by Train
- 13 VAT refund Q--new carryon bag ??
- 14 All Set To Go!!
- 15 England's Ruined Abbeys
- 16 Bus Tour with a toddler
- 17 Euro Trivia Quiz #13... Classical Musicians/Composers Home Towns?
- 18 French Basque region
- 19 Luxury hotel base Positano or Sorrento with 2 teen daughters
- 20 Italy + Greece in 14 days
- 21 They Just Don't Read or Listen about DCC Scam
- 22 Finally in Italy for the holidays - installment report
- 23 Bavaria: Santa Claus and Evil Twin Krampus!
- 24 Story of the German Christmas star
- 25 Airport ATMs