Myself & my boyfriend (both in our 30's and our 12 yr old) are going to Italy for 8 or 9 days, flying into Naples in mid August and out of Rome. (I know August is not ideal but it was our only option this year!)
Here is what we want to see near Naples:
Naples - Pompeii museum ( & see historical centre)
Amalfi (and boat trip along coast)
Ravello for the views
Capri if there is time (is it a must/ or too crowded in August?)
Some partial days by the pool/sea for the teenager!
I'm thinking 5 nights around Naples/Amalfi & 3 in Rome - is the the best split for what we want to see?
I have researched hotels for hours and while Sorrento is not calling to me I think is is the best base to see above and save time on travel?
Hotels with pools (whats left at this stage!) in Sorrento town seem overpriced and basic for our room budget (€130 - €160 per night) so I have begun to look at Sant'agata de gofii or Sant'Agnello meaning we have more chance of a pool/better teen friendly hotel with resturants in walking distance rather than staying in the hills of Sorrento and having to rely on shuttle buses to go for dinner etc, has anybody stayed in these areas with kids?
Is Massa Lubrensse just too far out for day trips?
Or would you suggest arriving in Naples (I've heard mixed review on the area) and staying there one night to see museum and Pompeii and then heading round to Amalfi and staying there for the 4 nights to travel around the coast?
I understand this will make it harder to get to Rome - boat to Salerno and then Train to Rome?
Sorry for all the questions, I just can't decide what is best!
Thanks in advance
Rome, Naples, Sorrento & Amalfi!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Touring Dover Castle
- 2 7 Nights in Paris
- 3 Day trips from Varenna, Lake Como
- 4 Savoring Sicily - A Trip Report
- 5 Santorini transportation
- 6 Buses in Amalfi coast town areas
- 7 Frecciabianca Seat Selection, please help.
- 8 Luggage on train from Waterloo to Southampton
- 9 Swiss Pass - Purchase Online or in-Person
- 10 Help me plan Greece portion of anniversary trip
- 11 Cell phones in Ireland
- 12 Mephisto Shoes in Paris
- 13 Turin: Have you used the Torino+Piemonte card?
- 14 Carry on luggage only with a family travelling to Europe?
- 15 Apartment rental suggestions in Florence and Rome
- 16 Madrid and London
- 17 Riverboat Moscow to St. Petersburg
- 18 Ireland: Need help deciding about maps and SIM card
- 19 50 and Fabulous in 2015---need help planning my trip to Amalfi, FINALLY
- 20 Restaurants with good food + great view: Chianti & Val d'orcia
- 21 What is the LEAST expensive way to see the interior of Opera Garnier?
- 22 non-touristy in Umbria or Tuscany?
- 23 3 weeks in Europe
- 24 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 25 What can we do with 4 hours in Paris layover