Myself & my boyfriend (both in our 30's and our 12 yr old) are going to Italy for 8 or 9 days, flying into Naples in mid August and out of Rome. (I know August is not ideal but it was our only option this year!)
Here is what we want to see near Naples:
Naples - Pompeii museum ( & see historical centre)
Amalfi (and boat trip along coast)
Ravello for the views
Capri if there is time (is it a must/ or too crowded in August?)
Some partial days by the pool/sea for the teenager!
I'm thinking 5 nights around Naples/Amalfi & 3 in Rome - is the the best split for what we want to see?
I have researched hotels for hours and while Sorrento is not calling to me I think is is the best base to see above and save time on travel?
Hotels with pools (whats left at this stage!) in Sorrento town seem overpriced and basic for our room budget (€130 - €160 per night) so I have begun to look at Sant'agata de gofii or Sant'Agnello meaning we have more chance of a pool/better teen friendly hotel with resturants in walking distance rather than staying in the hills of Sorrento and having to rely on shuttle buses to go for dinner etc, has anybody stayed in these areas with kids?
Is Massa Lubrensse just too far out for day trips?
Or would you suggest arriving in Naples (I've heard mixed review on the area) and staying there one night to see museum and Pompeii and then heading round to Amalfi and staying there for the 4 nights to travel around the coast?
I understand this will make it harder to get to Rome - boat to Salerno and then Train to Rome?
Sorry for all the questions, I just can't decide what is best!
Thanks in advance
Rome, Naples, Sorrento & Amalfi!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 How do you find French food?
- 2 Which town to stay at in Lake Como?
- 3 Albania by bus in 10 days??
- 4 Pre-Purchasing Train Tickets
- 5 Any experience with Cave Lodging in Loire Valley?
- 6 airport hold baggage
- 7 7 Nights in Paris
- 8 Getting to San Seb from Madrid
- 9 What area of Berlin is best for a first time visitor?
- 10 Ireland 8 day Itinerary help
- 11 Can I cancel 2 of 4 train tickets?
- 12 Monet in Normandy
- 13 Dining at the Eiffel Tower
- 14 Advance Tickets Segrada Familia - Barcelona
- 15 9 days in Italy - beginning in Venice
- 16 "New SAT Won’t Include Obscure Vocabulary Words"
- 17 campsite availability in peak season - Spain/Portgual/France
- 18 Gargano Promontory
- 19 We saw a fox on Great Ormond St (and other sights up and down the Thames)
- 20 Santorini
- 21 Day Trip from Paris? Versailles - go or no? Other ideas . . .
- 22 SmartPhone Europe to USA
- 23 Airport to Piraeus
- 24 Travel over Col du Puymorens and lunch.
- 25 Getting from London to Southhampton