Myself & my boyfriend (both in our 30's and our 12 yr old) are going to Italy for 8 or 9 days, flying into Naples in mid August and out of Rome. (I know August is not ideal but it was our only option this year!)
Here is what we want to see near Naples:
Naples - Pompeii museum ( & see historical centre)
Amalfi (and boat trip along coast)
Ravello for the views
Capri if there is time (is it a must/ or too crowded in August?)
Some partial days by the pool/sea for the teenager!
I'm thinking 5 nights around Naples/Amalfi & 3 in Rome - is the the best split for what we want to see?
I have researched hotels for hours and while Sorrento is not calling to me I think is is the best base to see above and save time on travel?
Hotels with pools (whats left at this stage!) in Sorrento town seem overpriced and basic for our room budget (€130 - €160 per night) so I have begun to look at Sant'agata de gofii or Sant'Agnello meaning we have more chance of a pool/better teen friendly hotel with resturants in walking distance rather than staying in the hills of Sorrento and having to rely on shuttle buses to go for dinner etc, has anybody stayed in these areas with kids?
Is Massa Lubrensse just too far out for day trips?
Or would you suggest arriving in Naples (I've heard mixed review on the area) and staying there one night to see museum and Pompeii and then heading round to Amalfi and staying there for the 4 nights to travel around the coast?
I understand this will make it harder to get to Rome - boat to Salerno and then Train to Rome?
Sorry for all the questions, I just can't decide what is best!
Thanks in advance
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italian Honeymoon Advice
- 2 Santorini lodging
- 3 "Best" train route Interlaken to Salzburg
- 4 Safety in Lamezia Terme, Italy
- 5 Self drive tour companies
- 6 Croatia... Is dubrovnik a must?
- 7 Road trip from Naples to Basilicata, Puglia and Bari
- 8 Daytime flights - US East Coast to Paris?
- 9 Ischia
- 10 9 days in London
- 11 What do after Bernia Express?
- 12 Germany family road trip help!
- 13 New notes and coins and death dates for old ones
- 14 The Roads Less Traveled: Traversing France With Mai Tai Tom & Tracy
- 15 Not Gone From Memory Or From Love — The Western Front Revisited
- 16 Starting my Paris plan for May
- 17 Best place to view alps from Italy
- 18 Bedbugs in Paris.
- 19 Vatican Museums and Scavi Tour
- 20 Vacation near Lake Lugano and Lake Como
- 21 Lyon
- 22 Italian lakes
- 23 Train tickets, Swiss pass or eurail
- 24 2 WEEK EUROPE ITINERARY
- 25 Upcoming trip to Penzance, Cornwall