Myself & my boyfriend (both in our 30's and our 12 yr old) are going to Italy for 8 or 9 days, flying into Naples in mid August and out of Rome. (I know August is not ideal but it was our only option this year!)
Here is what we want to see near Naples:
Naples - Pompeii museum ( & see historical centre)
Amalfi (and boat trip along coast)
Ravello for the views
Capri if there is time (is it a must/ or too crowded in August?)
Some partial days by the pool/sea for the teenager!
I'm thinking 5 nights around Naples/Amalfi & 3 in Rome - is the the best split for what we want to see?
I have researched hotels for hours and while Sorrento is not calling to me I think is is the best base to see above and save time on travel?
Hotels with pools (whats left at this stage!) in Sorrento town seem overpriced and basic for our room budget (€130 - €160 per night) so I have begun to look at Sant'agata de gofii or Sant'Agnello meaning we have more chance of a pool/better teen friendly hotel with resturants in walking distance rather than staying in the hills of Sorrento and having to rely on shuttle buses to go for dinner etc, has anybody stayed in these areas with kids?
Is Massa Lubrensse just too far out for day trips?
Or would you suggest arriving in Naples (I've heard mixed review on the area) and staying there one night to see museum and Pompeii and then heading round to Amalfi and staying there for the 4 nights to travel around the coast?
I understand this will make it harder to get to Rome - boat to Salerno and then Train to Rome?
Sorry for all the questions, I just can't decide what is best!
Thanks in advance
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 2 Day Trips from Zug in Switzerland
- 3 Happy birthday ATM
- 4 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 5 Trains from Istanbul to Budapest
- 6 Lisbon to San Sebastián to Madrid itinerary help!
- 7 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 8 Day trip from Amsterdam for college girls
- 9 Travel from Cinque Terra to Pezenaz, France
- 10 Madrid/Andalucia Trip
- 11 BG/SLBC/MTN/DLC/LC FOR LEASE AND PURCHACE
- 12 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 13 B&Bs in Pisa, Parma & Bologna, Hotel in Milan
- 14 Language course in Trieste, Northern Italy
- 15 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 16 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 17 Granada to Seville driving day trip
- 18 Spain - day driver advice
- 19 Sitting at a cafe watching the world go by - hmmm...
- 20 Help with Crete Itinerary
- 21 London with Teens Trip Report
- 22 Cortona -- just a passing thought
- 23 Dublin & Environs with Teens Trip Report
- 24 Lake Como AREA questions
- 25 RS view on booking.com & the like