Your previous advice has been so helpful I'd love to get some feedback on this: myself & my boyfriend and daughter will be in Rome in mid august. We will be arriving from Naples on a Monday lunchtime with a Thursday morning flight home...so I have had to narrow down what we can see as I am keen to wander & eat and relax before returning home.
We are based very near the Pantheon so I planned on seeing it as soon as we check in then walking to Trevi fountain, Spanish steps, then Piazza Navona on the first afternoon (break for lunch to get out of the heat too!) this loop seems to be just over 3k, this then leaves me with 2 full days.
Day 2: I want to see the Colloseum (I can get a 9.40am slot for the 70 min tour including the lower levels which I wouldn't mind seeing - but are not a deal breaker, €28 for adults €16.50 for child - is the guided tour worth the extra money?)
Day 3: I intend on seeing the Vatican & Sistine chapel on the Wednesday (I hear afternoon is a bit quieter? I will also pre-book a slot here) This also leaves the morning free to head to the market at Campo De' Fiori..
My question is should I buy the Roma Pass? I know it will not give me access to the Vatican and I will not be able to see the lower levels of the Colloseum with it either but is the free travel a bonus? I think we will walk a to most of the major sites as it seems compact? (maybe bus/tram to Vatican)
Unfortunately I don't think we will have time for both the Forum and Palatine hill (included in Colloseum price) as I am keen to allow some fun/gelato/ time for the teen!
I assumed I would be better off just paying for the sites I want to see direct but am now seeing conflicting threads on the value of the Roma pass...?
Also is there a reduction for Roma pass for a 13 yr old?
Rome itinerary & Roma Pass - help please!
- 1 New to Fodors: Please help with beginning stages of husband/wife trip
- 2 Alps/countryside off the beaten path suggestion - daytrip near Zurich
- 3 ONE DAY IN PARIS PLEASE HELP!!
- 4 2 Week(ish) Italian Honeymoon Itinerary Help - First Time Europe Travelers
- 5 Advises for trip to Russia
- 6 need good quiet Paris hotel: possible?
- 7 March 2013: Barcelona, Rome and Prague Trip Report
- 8 Alsa Bus between Portugal and Spain
- 9 Planning 4 nights S / SE of London for my parents in their late 60s
- 10 A still, a hooker and a Dodo bird. Paris and Oberkirch.
- 11 Scotland this summer - some initial planning questions
- 12 Naples on Christmas Eve--Beluga Bar or George's?
- 13 Sagrada Familia - which tower?
- 14 Two weeks in Northern Italy - what do you think of our outline?
- 15 First time traveler to Ireland
- 16 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 17 Restaurant reservations Rome, Tuscany, Venice
- 18 Belgium/Holland or Germany: Please help!
- 19 Question-- York & North York Moors
- 20 Prague - must see
- 21 2 weeks in UK to visit my daughter at Queen Mary Univ Dec 15-28 2013
- 22 Spain - Andalucia
- 23 Car in Prague
- 24 Euro Train
- 25 My first visit to Ireland, next year.