This forum was such a great help in planning my itinerary for a fall Netherlands/Belgium/Lux/Germany trip that I want to come back and get help for my Rome trip.
We are doing a Med. cruise that departs from Rome and are tacking on some time in Rome beforehand. We have a bit of a crazy flight there and back (long layovers in London & Madrid...which is fun). Basically, we arrive in Europe on a Thurs morning and get to Rome late Thurs night. We are staying at an airport hotel just to save a bit of money and not hassle getting into the city all tired. So, we'll be in Rome proper by Friday morning and depart the following Sunday, mid-morning. This essentially gives us 9 full days in Rome. Plenty of time!
What I've done thus far is compiled a spreadsheet of all the sites I want to see. I am primarily focused on churches, art, and ruins. DH doesn't care for any of it....the food will be his big thing.
We're staying at the Artemide Hotel (it had all the amenities we wanted and we're very satisfied with our choice).
So now, by biggest thing is figuring out how to best organize my days. Yes, I will be flexible, but I like to have a rough structure of my day.
So, here's what I'm thinking:
- early arrival at hotel to drop off bags
- wander over to Campo for morning market
- Il Gesu (Campo)
- lunch and back to hotel to do the check-in; possible nap while city is on lunch
- guided walk through Navona (Pantheon, San Luigi, piazza navona, sant'agnese, santa maria della pace, santa maria sopra minerva, sant'agostino)
- dinner in Navona
Is this too ambitious for the first day? Too much in Navona? I tend to go through churches pretty quickly (not religious, so I don't stop to light candles, etc.). Looking at opening times, I should be OK.
- this is the only day Palazzo Colonna is open (in the morning)
- this seems like a good day for the Via Appia since the cars aren't running. But only one catacomb is open (San Callisto). Is that enough?
- possibly do that in the morning and then spend the afternoon somewhere else...Spanish steps/Corso area? The only thing is that Palazzo Colonna is only open Saturday mornings.
- scavi tour booked for 9:30 AM
- visit St. Peters (including Dome) after tour
- lunch either near Vatican OR walk over to trastevere
- afternoon in Trastevere (San Francesco, san pieto, santa maria). Anything else to see here?
- planning on booking Vatican & Sistine tour (have to wait until 60 days out)
- Castel Sant 'Angelo (open on Tuesday)
- what else is nearby? Would going to Borghese be too much?
- day trip to Florence
- day trip to Orvieto
- republicca/quirinale area? Have about 4-5 churches on my list
- esquilino area (4 churches on my list)
These areas seem close together.
- depart at 11 AM.
So here's my problem...I have Thursday open and not sure about Sat/Sun. I want to do the Colosseum area and split it into two days. So maybe move Via Appia to Thursday and take the bus? Put Colosseum to Sat/Sun.
What is the best way to split up the Colosseum area? I want to do forum, colosseum, the museum, imperial forums, and palatine hill.
How do things look to you???
Ideally, I'm trying to go strong in the mornings and relax in the afternoons/evenings. I just want time to just wander aimlessly and find good food.
I would appreciate any and all advice and tips.
Rome Itinerary: Getting to the Nitty Gritty Planning
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Any last things i might need to know for our trip??
- 2 Castles, Palaces and Caves-9 Days in Puglia and Basilicata
- 3 Swiss Air seat assignments
- 4 Venice (Somewhere) and Trieste (Nowhere)—With a Bit of Slovenia In Between
- 5 Rome to Amafi coast
- 6 20 year-old female planning solo Europe trip -- advice??
- 7 Jamikins and Bikerscott Head Back to Le Marche
- 8 Italy Trenitalia Strike
- 9 Where to stay on Lake Como with Car
- 10 Hotel in Lake Garda or Desenzano del Gard
- 11 Como or Bellagio hotel needed
- 12 Is WESTMINSTER & WEST END in London the best parts to stay?
- 13 A bit MORE of the Camino de Santiago
- 14 Brussels / 2 nights / looking for insider tips
- 15 Terrorism in Europe
- 16 Help! Need alternative to PORTOVENERE in late-September!
- 17 City Night Line from Paris to Munich
- 18 Language Camp ANTALYA
- 19 How much luggage?????
- 20 Catalunya Pyrenees Itinerary
- 21 Train from Orvieto to Rome station- 11:23 the earliest time??
- 22 Cornwall or Paris?
- 23 car rental avignon one day or hiring a driver
- 24 Help with France itinerary
- 25 17 amazing days in Tuscany, Positano and Rome – June 2014!