On honeymoon in Rome last week. Sitting in lively bar in Campo di Fiori full of young people, very late at night. We were not drunk, had been out strolling all night. Older man, looked middle eastern, strikes up conversation at our table, a few tables away there are shady looking Africa men with large backpacks, one appears to be passed out the other two were kinda leering at me. It all seemed odd, they seemed very out of place in this young crowd. I got up to go to the bathroom and a few seconds later my husband noticed white powder floating in my beer. He shouted to the new "acquaintance" at our table something like " HEY what did you put in my wife's drink." Man denied any knowledge, husband told him to drink it, man refused. Husband alerted bartender, he and a few American patrons confronted man who ran out with the Africans. Bartender furious, said he had never seen this happen. Polizia called, men long gone tho some patrons snapped their photos. Trying to decipher motive: to rob us, to watch me slump over at table? Dunno. Just an alert: watch your drinks carefully, pay attention to surroundings. We dodged a bullet.
Rome: close call
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Solo, inexperienced traveler struggling w/ logistics
- 2 Good times in Munich, the city
- 3 history museums or locations
- 4 Why don't the French use shower curtains
- 5 Airport ATMs
- 6 Sono arrivato a Venezia
- 7 Cylades Island Hopping
- 8 One week in Spain, late May
- 9 Help! Italy & France and Italy-Two Weeks?
- 10 Two Weeks in France, reposting TR
- 11 6 additional days starting from Munich in April - recommendations?
- 12 Where to get best blue trout in Bavaria?
- 13 Euro Trivia quiz #17 - People and Places #2
- 14 Day roadtrips from Munich base
- 15 Toulouse & Paris Day Trips
- 16 Berlin Prague Vienna Munich
- 17 Paris for a Week – Looking for a Day Trip Outside the City
- 18 Travelling from Paris to Madrid
- 19 Train Travel from Marseilles to Barcelona
- 20 5 Observations About Paris
- 21 Lake Como transportation questions
- 22 Ring of Kerry: worth doing "whole loop"?
- 23 How to decide where to go in Europe
- 24 Crete, Rhodes... or?
- 25 Iwango went…to Nice