On honeymoon in Rome last week. Sitting in lively bar in Campo di Fiori full of young people, very late at night. We were not drunk, had been out strolling all night. Older man, looked middle eastern, strikes up conversation at our table, a few tables away there are shady looking Africa men with large backpacks, one appears to be passed out the other two were kinda leering at me. It all seemed odd, they seemed very out of place in this young crowd. I got up to go to the bathroom and a few seconds later my husband noticed white powder floating in my beer. He shouted to the new "acquaintance" at our table something like " HEY what did you put in my wife's drink." Man denied any knowledge, husband told him to drink it, man refused. Husband alerted bartender, he and a few American patrons confronted man who ran out with the Africans. Bartender furious, said he had never seen this happen. Polizia called, men long gone tho some patrons snapped their photos. Trying to decipher motive: to rob us, to watch me slump over at table? Dunno. Just an alert: watch your drinks carefully, pay attention to surroundings. We dodged a bullet.
Rome: close call
View all Europe activity »
- 1 London for Christmas
- 2 London's Proposed New Airport...
- 3 Unique excursion/experience in Paris
- 4 Anniversary Weekend in Paris
- 5 3 nights in Bayeux, FRANCE...how to make the most of our days in winter?
- 6 Orvieto ro Pompei day trip in late December?
- 7 all white pottery shop near La Deniere Goutte Wine Shop
- 8 rent car / Munich
- 9 To Paris and Provence in June
- 10 Please help with this Switzerland/Italy itinerary
- 11 7 days in Andalucia
- 12 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 13 Hungary and Czech Republic
- 14 Madrid to Sevilla
- 15 Driving from Nice to Besancon, France
- 16 How to get from airport to Venice city
- 17 Ira Has Been Kidnapped
- 18 A full week in The Netherlands
- 19 San Sebastian and 2 day trips into France...lodging and places to see
- 20 Venice 3 days Itinerary.
- 21 Bells, Balls and a Basilica – Cooking in Abruzzo; Eating & Drinking In Rome
- 22 Ireland in a week
- 23 Bus shuttle from MXP to Milan Centrale Station
- 24 Home from Rome - a trip report
- 25 Day Trips from Florence: Tours or On Our Own???