DD and I are leaving for Italy next week - 1st time. We will be spending a week in Rome (Trastevere), then 3 nights in Venice, on to Verona (2 nights), Mennagio at Lake Como (week) and Florence (3 nights). I am not good with crowds, but must just make peace with all the other people who also want to be there! This is the only time of the year that I can travel. I do love art and history, but am not really in the mood for 'doing' one museum or famous sight after the other. I guess what I really need is for a seasoned traveller to point me towards the quieter areas, smaller churches, simple places where good food and a nice glass of wine can be enjoyed. I am an early riser, and am planning to be walking the streets just after sunrise, be there when the doors to what we want to see are opened, and disappear when it gets too hot or crowded. Please - any other suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Rome and Venice apart from art / museums
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Sicily and Aeolian Island TRAVELLING SOLO
- 2 Where to stay in Varenna, Italy for 2 nights?
- 3 Southern Europe trip (10 NIGHTS - Paris, Barcelona, Milan-Venice-Rome)
- 4 Mykonos plus another Island. Which one?
- 5 Montpellier - To do? To eat? To Shop?
- 6 Planning for a Budget Trip to Jersey, Channel Islands
- 7 Trip report Tuscany and Bologna
- 8 Mont St. Michele?
- 9 Paris Museum Pass length of life
- 10 italy-switzerland travel advice in mid to late May
- 11 Best town for 3 nights on the Costa Brava?
- 12 Hotels in old Rome
- 13 Revisit someplace you've already been or go somewhere new?
- 14 Suggestions for Jersey (Channel Islands)
- 15 A taste of Scotland and Ireland
- 16 Croatia
- 17 Hoping to stay cool this summer - any comments on my northern itinerary?
- 18 Genoa - What are the Must Do's
- 19 Itinerary help for 3 weeks Frankfurt to Paris
- 20 Suggestions for my Andalucia Itinerary
- 21 Albi/Carcassone
- 22 Reestaurant Suggestions in Naples
- 23 Itinerary advice needed-Ring of Kerry vs. Galway area
- 24 EuroRail- Italy vs. Tickets
- 25 ABOUT SPAIN