DD and I are leaving for Italy next week - 1st time. We will be spending a week in Rome (Trastevere), then 3 nights in Venice, on to Verona (2 nights), Mennagio at Lake Como (week) and Florence (3 nights). I am not good with crowds, but must just make peace with all the other people who also want to be there! This is the only time of the year that I can travel. I do love art and history, but am not really in the mood for 'doing' one museum or famous sight after the other. I guess what I really need is for a seasoned traveller to point me towards the quieter areas, smaller churches, simple places where good food and a nice glass of wine can be enjoyed. I am an early riser, and am planning to be walking the streets just after sunrise, be there when the doors to what we want to see are opened, and disappear when it gets too hot or crowded. Please - any other suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Rome and Venice apart from art / museums
View all Europe activity »
- 1 Gate 1 9 day Enchanted Italy
- 2 2 Week European Itinerary
- 3 November Solo Madness in Ireland 2013!
- 4 best beach hotel Mykonos
- 5 More help with housing in Puglia
- 6 How much time to allow from ETA at LHR for car service booking?
- 7 French café offers discounts to customers who remember their "Bonjour"
- 8 Gift/Travel Cards for Spain?
- 9 First time Golfing in Ireland
- 10 Paris Ariival..for Those who have requested
- 11 Geneva-Verbier-Zurich
- 12 TGV and Provence questions
- 13 Is there a best time of day to visit the Alhambra?
- 14 Dresden Train Station
- 15 Family European winter holiday
- 16 Itinerary Help: Amsterdam-Zurich/Basel-Geneva in 10 days?
- 17 rent car / Munich
- 18 Scandinavia Itinerary
- 19 2 wk Europe Trip Advice
- 20 Buying a house in the Languedoc - the hunt begins
- 21 To Paris and Provence in June
- 22 How to get from airport to Venice city
- 23 Taxi Availability from Bus Station
- 24 Channel Islands
- 25 question for bank of montreal customers - withdrawing in paris/europe