DD and I are leaving for Italy next week - 1st time. We will be spending a week in Rome (Trastevere), then 3 nights in Venice, on to Verona (2 nights), Mennagio at Lake Como (week) and Florence (3 nights). I am not good with crowds, but must just make peace with all the other people who also want to be there! This is the only time of the year that I can travel. I do love art and history, but am not really in the mood for 'doing' one museum or famous sight after the other. I guess what I really need is for a seasoned traveller to point me towards the quieter areas, smaller churches, simple places where good food and a nice glass of wine can be enjoyed. I am an early riser, and am planning to be walking the streets just after sunrise, be there when the doors to what we want to see are opened, and disappear when it gets too hot or crowded. Please - any other suggestions will be highly appreciated.
Rome and Venice apart from art / museums
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Fashion for larger man?
- 2 Fine-tuning a 30 day stay in Switzerland June 2014
- 3 CRETE - Rethymnon area or Chania area ??
- 4 Athens-Paros-Santorini Trip Itinerary
- 5 How much time to allow between flights at Athens airport?
- 6 Traveling in France by train
- 7 Traveling to Eastern Europe
- 8 Connection - Frankfurt airport to Mannheim HBF to SNCF
- 9 100 Great things to do in Paris
- 10 travel from Edinburgh to Paris
- 11 How much will a budget to Europe be for 2 months?
- 12 Sicily - not a trip report
- 13 Rethymnon vs. Chania in early October?
- 14 Our Spain Adventure -- Cordoba, Seville, Granada and Barcelona! (Part One)
- 15 Is Naxos worthwhile if not planning to spend time on the beach?
- 16 Flying in and out of Zurich - stay there the entire time?
- 17 Need ideas for a Christmas 2014 holiday vacation?
- 18 car rental advice in Portugal
- 19 Fjords, How To?
- 20 Duoro river cruises
- 21 What to wear
- 22 London & Cotswold or Prague & Amsterdam
- 23 Geneva - Basel driver/tour/transfer
- 24 Budget for 3 Month's
- 25 Side trip from Nice to wine country suggestions