I just read about the Holy Year 2016 proclaimed by Pope Francis. Some reports mentioned figures of 20 million tourists descending on Rome for various celebrations (good grief that's a lot of people!)
Has anyone experienced this before? What will be the impact of all this if you're flying into FCO and trying to catch a train to some other city? (The last Holy Year was 2000, I think.)
We are just beginning to think about a trip in June to Naples, the Amalfi Coast, Capri and other places to the south but I'm wondering if getting through Rome is going to be tough.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Paris/Loire Valley than ?
- 2 European Travel - Trivia Quiz #151
- 3 Our (Somewhat) Laid Back Tour of Old Fave Stops in Italy
- 4 Itinerary? Mystras? Stay over or stay in Nafplion
- 5 Isles of Scilly - Anyone Been?
- 6 A week in Croatia with kids
- 7 Credit or debit card or cash in Europe
- 8 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...
- 9 How prepared where you for the trip to Iceland?
- 10 Anyplace worth stopping a night between Hallstatt and Venice?
- 11 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 12 Premier League Tickets on Craigslist
- 13 Summer School in France
- 14 Bars & Restaurants in Madrid Spain
- 15 Advice on use of Toll roads in Portugal
- 16 Please help me with the name of this town in Spain
- 17 Surprise trip to Greece!
- 18 Pre-Booking Athens / Cell Phone
- 19 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 20 Luggage for train travel in Europe
- 21 Cutback on Spain trip
- 22 May/June 2016 - Switzerland, Germany, and Austria - Hiking Included
- 23 where to stay in London?
- 24 Railpass or point-to-point tickets
- 25 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
Rome 2016 - Holy Year - impact on getting into/out of city?