I am wanting to visit Istanbul and had hoped to stop in Romania as a precursor to my visit to the Turkish city. My plan was to arrive in Bucharest by plane and to travel north (via train or bus) for several days visiting sites in the Carpatians. I read a bit about "medieval towns" and would like to experience them along with the capital. I would visit these sites and then spend 1 -2 days in the capital before heading off to Istanbul. I have read up on the overnight rail transit the had and thought that too might be interesting to do.
Can anyone share their experiences with a trip like this? Favorite to-dos, things to watch for (scams, unethical behavior). I've traveled a bit but mostly within English speaking countries or with people local to the area. This time I would be on my own. I'm 45, male, American (I won't tell them that) and in good physical shape and mainly interested in historical sites/customs and site-seeing.
I also would like to go via "backpack" rather than lugging a large suitcase with me, meaning cutting down on my normal over-packing neurosis, so any ideas there would be beneficial.
Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. I've enjoyed reading the posts and hope to save myself some pain and frustration.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 에이플러스바카라•• 艺━┫＼【 WLD333.cℴm 】＼┣━••艺 에이플러스바카라
- 2 Long Weekend in Lovely Amsterdam
- 3 Gstaad, trip for 2 days
- 4 Spain for 10 nights
- 5 Signature Saint Germaine or La TourviLe
- 6 When neurotic people plan vacations
- 7 Wanted: Clever Travel Tips!
- 8 Best location for hotel in Milan for 2 nights
- 9 Advice about Naples?
- 10 Italy Itinerary for 8 days
- 11 Alsace Accommodations
- 12 tipping
- 13 Man U Scrimmage Games Late July/EarlyAugust?
- 14 I need suggestion on where to stay in Port Alcudia
- 15 Iternary Help - London + ? without car
- 16 Germany "Riddled with Crime"?
- 17 Europe Backpacking Itinerary: Feedback Appreciated!
- 18 Paris Perfect Legal?
- 19 itinerary Help? 2 weeks in Scandinavia
- 20 Feedback on 3-Week Spain Itinerary
- 21 April in Paris...with a Side of Bordeaux
- 22 Have You Ever Been Robbed in Europe?
- 23 Tips question
- 24 Still another Provence Provence advice request
- 25 Nothern versus Southern region of Spain