I am wanting to visit Istanbul and had hoped to stop in Romania as a precursor to my visit to the Turkish city. My plan was to arrive in Bucharest by plane and to travel north (via train or bus) for several days visiting sites in the Carpatians. I read a bit about "medieval towns" and would like to experience them along with the capital. I would visit these sites and then spend 1 -2 days in the capital before heading off to Istanbul. I have read up on the overnight rail transit the had and thought that too might be interesting to do.
Can anyone share their experiences with a trip like this? Favorite to-dos, things to watch for (scams, unethical behavior). I've traveled a bit but mostly within English speaking countries or with people local to the area. This time I would be on my own. I'm 45, male, American (I won't tell them that) and in good physical shape and mainly interested in historical sites/customs and site-seeing.
I also would like to go via "backpack" rather than lugging a large suitcase with me, meaning cutting down on my normal over-packing neurosis, so any ideas there would be beneficial.
Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. I've enjoyed reading the posts and hope to save myself some pain and frustration.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Amalfi or Positano
- 2 10 days in eastern Sicily - itinerary help needed
- 3 Holiday in Europe
- 4 2 weeks in Prague
- 5 student in denmark
- 6 Cheltenham or Moreton-in-Marsh?
- 7 Review of the Jhieronimus Bosch ehibition
- 8 Train from Lille to Delft
- 9 Sardinia, Italy and surrounding islands
- 10 Portugal and Southern Spain travel tips
- 11 Barcelona>Andalusia>Madrid...8 days with a pre-schooler
- 12 Portugal. & Southern Spain
- 13 SPANISH MUSEUMS
- 14 Hostel Advice
- 15 St.Malo Suggestions ?
- 16 Spain/France/Italy/UK
- 17 Gengenbach or Schiltach
- 18 Lake Maggiore, Italy
- 19 Poland in September
- 20 Belgium advice
- 21 Corsica France...Calvi or Ajaccio or?
- 22 Draining the Canal Saint Martin in Paris
- 23 Please suggest a hike from Ravello- with kids
- 24 10 day trip - very initial thinking
- 25 daily itinerary ideas for southern Languedoc and Rousillon