I have recently planned a trip to Italy for early May with my boyfriend. I have been to Italy before but with a tour group (also, I was only 17 so much time has passed). This time around we have decided to take a two week long road trip beginning in Verona, making our way to Venice and then down through Florence, Tuscany, Rome and the Amalfi Coast. We do not have much planned except for renting a car. However, I am very much clueless about how the driving will be especially in and around the larger cities.
The idea is to have the freedom to not only visit the major cities in Italy (Rome, Venice, Florence) but also venture outside the smaller towns to really get a feel of Italy. Also, we do not want to prbook hotels since we do not have a set itinerary (I am working on an itinerary but just to use as a guide). Anyone ever road tripped through Italy? If so, any tips will be very well appreciated.
Also, with a car, how will we be able to see venice? Do we park it at a train station and take the train into the city? If that is the case, will we be better off getting a hotel outside of Venice? Say Mestre? Since we will have a car.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Specific phone service questions about Italy & Amsterdam
- 2 Things to do in Montpellier
- 3 What is the best travel insurance company?
- 4 Portugal by Train or Car?
- 5 AVIGNON / DAY TRIP Gordes or Arles
- 6 Security -- day pack at museums +
- 7 Thrift Stores in Paris
- 8 English Gardens Itinerary Advice please
- 9 Lucerne and Innsbruck
- 10 3 week trip with children
- 11 Gubbio, Gubbio, wherefore art thou, O Gubbio?
- 12 Roman Roamings: 2 Weeks of Wanderings
- 13 Gorges de Verdon to Eze - where to stay along way?
- 14 Krakow and Prague-one week
- 15 Italy in 11 Days
- 16 dinner jackets
- 17 French election
- 18 Leather goods in Florence
- 19 Piedmont as a destination
- 20 10 days Greece in mid-Sept 2017
- 21 Planning trip to Barcelona. Madrid and Tossa Del Mar
- 22 Uffizi and Accademia Gallery Florence
- 23 paris and france with my teenage daughter
- 24 Trip to Rome
- 25 From Genoa to Camgoli by Train