I have recently planned a trip to Italy for early May with my boyfriend. I have been to Italy before but with a tour group (also, I was only 17 so much time has passed). This time around we have decided to take a two week long road trip beginning in Verona, making our way to Venice and then down through Florence, Tuscany, Rome and the Amalfi Coast. We do not have much planned except for renting a car. However, I am very much clueless about how the driving will be especially in and around the larger cities.
The idea is to have the freedom to not only visit the major cities in Italy (Rome, Venice, Florence) but also venture outside the smaller towns to really get a feel of Italy. Also, we do not want to prbook hotels since we do not have a set itinerary (I am working on an itinerary but just to use as a guide). Anyone ever road tripped through Italy? If so, any tips will be very well appreciated.
Also, with a car, how will we be able to see venice? Do we park it at a train station and take the train into the city? If that is the case, will we be better off getting a hotel outside of Venice? Say Mestre? Since we will have a car.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 2 Revised itinerary for italy
- 3 Itinerary help for first trip to Greece
- 4 Italy and Switzerlan Travel Advice
- 5 Recommendations for meandering travel this fall in Spain and Portugal
- 6 Rome, Florence and Venice for each city 2 days
- 7 If you had to choose one......
- 8 Polish: Enough Indo-European Similarity to Make Picking up Words Easier?
- 9 Amalfi Coast help
- 10 Paris Metro
- 11 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 12 A good book!!
- 13 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 14 Paris to Nice - 4x 50 somethings and 5 nights - what to do!
- 15 Initial itinerary - 1 month in Greece
- 16 3 days in Normandy (with an 8 year old)
- 17 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 18 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 19 Any recent stays at either the Plaka or Attalos hotels in Athens
- 20 2 Months - Dubrovnik to Frankfurt Itinerary
- 21 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!
- 22 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 23 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 24 CDG airport and connection time
- 25 Bern to Munich, BlaBla Car & Dresden