I have recently planned a trip to Italy for early May with my boyfriend. I have been to Italy before but with a tour group (also, I was only 17 so much time has passed). This time around we have decided to take a two week long road trip beginning in Verona, making our way to Venice and then down through Florence, Tuscany, Rome and the Amalfi Coast. We do not have much planned except for renting a car. However, I am very much clueless about how the driving will be especially in and around the larger cities.
The idea is to have the freedom to not only visit the major cities in Italy (Rome, Venice, Florence) but also venture outside the smaller towns to really get a feel of Italy. Also, we do not want to prbook hotels since we do not have a set itinerary (I am working on an itinerary but just to use as a guide). Anyone ever road tripped through Italy? If so, any tips will be very well appreciated.
Also, with a car, how will we be able to see venice? Do we park it at a train station and take the train into the city? If that is the case, will we be better off getting a hotel outside of Venice? Say Mestre? Since we will have a car.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Buying Train Tickets at Schipol - Machine
- 2 Paris Favorites (the 11th & wine regions)
- 3 Nice to Cinque Terre where to stay.
- 4 Paris and Normandy
- 5 anyone stay here? ytri vik cottages
- 6 Allocating time in Barcelona - Gaudi tickets
- 7 Lonely Planet‘s Best in Europe list-your thoughts please
- 8 British Airways - Global Entry - TSA precheck
- 9 8 days vacation to Switzerland & Austria
- 10 Best area to stay in Dubrovnik
- 11 DUBROVNIK: staying inside oldtown vs Hotel Excelsior/Hilton?
- 12 London in Winter Report
- 13 Santorini Greece - Cooking Lessons
- 14 Spain in September/October:a Good Idea?
- 15 Greek honeymoon: He wants sightseeing, she wants beaches
- 16 Airport Transit Visa
- 17 How Best to spend 13 days in Italy
- 18 Renting a car for France thru BritishAirways.com instead of AutoEurope
- 19 Roma...any ideas for exploration?
- 20 Solo in Paris and looking for the best neighborhood
- 21 Paris advice with kids
- 22 Anniversary trip to France
- 23 Time to tell on yourself (embarassing travel stories)
- 24 Scenic drive Bologna to Lucca?
- 25 Early morning flight Venice/VCE