I have recently planned a trip to Italy for early May with my boyfriend. I have been to Italy before but with a tour group (also, I was only 17 so much time has passed). This time around we have decided to take a two week long road trip beginning in Verona, making our way to Venice and then down through Florence, Tuscany, Rome and the Amalfi Coast. We do not have much planned except for renting a car. However, I am very much clueless about how the driving will be especially in and around the larger cities.
The idea is to have the freedom to not only visit the major cities in Italy (Rome, Venice, Florence) but also venture outside the smaller towns to really get a feel of Italy. Also, we do not want to prbook hotels since we do not have a set itinerary (I am working on an itinerary but just to use as a guide). Anyone ever road tripped through Italy? If so, any tips will be very well appreciated.
Also, with a car, how will we be able to see venice? Do we park it at a train station and take the train into the city? If that is the case, will we be better off getting a hotel outside of Venice? Say Mestre? Since we will have a car.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Perugia
- 2 Stresa (town), Italy - things to do?
- 3 Booking through Loco2 Train
- 4 Praiano
- 5 Dublin or Amsterdam?
- 6 Looking for a unique 3 days in Venice
- 7 Self drive tour companies
- 8 Restaurant recommendations for lunch in Dijon?
- 9 Four Nights free after Monmouth, Wales & before London.
- 10 Americans moving to Europe - Suggestions?
- 11 St Denis Cathedral
- 12 Ireland last minute recommendations
- 13 Driving (hire car) in Paris, France, Belgium
- 14 Flying into London and Flying out of Edinburgh
- 15 No Periods in British Written English!
- 16 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 17 Help please
- 18 Weighing hand luggage at CDG security now
- 19 A few days in Naples - what a great city
- 20 Trip Report : Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania
- 21 Iceland - which direction to drive RIng Road? Clockwise or counter?
- 22 Rome to venice
- 23 Two weeks in Italy flying in and out of Milan
- 24 Day trip to Lake Como from Milan
- 25 Recommendation for GPS with Europe maps