My fiancee and I are planning a road trip from Barcelona to Rome next spring and need a few tips on the itinerary. We plan on leaving Toronto at night on May 19th and returning on June 19th, which leaves us with 31 days in Europe. We prefer driving instead of travelling via train, bus or plane in Europe because it will allow us to visit small towns along the way and canvass the region as we’re considering moving there in the next few years.
We have plenty of experience doing road trips in North/South America, and according to our itinerary, we'd be driving 14 out of the 31 days with an average drive time of 3 hours, which sounds reasonable. We do have a few requirements, including spending at least a day in Verona, a day in San Biagio di Callalta and 2-3 days in Marciano della Chiana as we have family in those cities. I’d also like to spend a day in Monte Carlo to watch the Formula 1 race and stop by Maranello and Imola as I’m a huge auto racing fan. We also squeezed Aix-en-Provence as my fiancee would like to visit the city should we have enough time.
I found other threads on similar trips with several hints, and incorporated some of that into our itinerary. He’s what it currently looks like:
Day 0 - Fly from Toronto to Barcelona overnight
Day 1 - Arrive in Barcelona before noon
Day 2 - Barcelona
Day 3 - Drive to Carcassone (3hr), sleep around Carcassone
Day 4 - Drive to Aix-en-Provence (3hr), sleep in Aix-en-Provence
Day 5 - Aix-en-Provence
Day 6 - Drive to Monte Carlo (2.5hr), sleep in Monte Carlo
Day 7 - Monte Carlo
Day 8 - Drive to Riomaggiore (3.5hr), sleep in Riomaggiore
Day 9 - Riomaggiore (with possible day trips to other towns in Cinque Terre)
Day 10 - Riomaggiore (with possible day trips to other towns in Cinque Terre)
Day 11 - Drive to Verona with a stop in Maranello (3hr), sleep in Verona
Day 12 - Verona
Day 13 - Drive to San Biagio di Callalta (1.5 hr), sleep in San Biagio di Callalta
Day 14 - Drive to Venice (30min), sleep in Venice
Day 15 - Venice
Day 16 - Drive to Imola (3hr), sleep in Imola
Day 17 - Drive to San Marino (1.5hr), sleep in San Marino
Day 18 - Drive to Florence (3hr), sleep in Florence
Day 19 - Florence
Day 20 - Florence
Day 21 - Drive to San Gimignano passing by Pisa (3hr), sleep in San Gimignano
Day 22 - San Gimignano
Day 23 - Drive to Marciano della Chiana passing by Siena (1.5h), sleep in Marciano della Chiana
Day 24 - Marciano della Chiana
Day 25 - Marciano della Chiana
Day 26 - Marciano della Chiana (perhaps a day trip to Arezzo)
Day 27 - Drive to Rome with stops in Orte/Orvieto (3hr), sleep in Rome
Day 28 - Rome
Day 29 - Rome
Day 30 - Rome
Day 31 - Leave to Toronto
From your experience, is this itinerary doable? If necessary, we’re considering removing Carcassone, Riomaggiore or San Gimignano as we feel that we’d be passing by several other unique cities along the way.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help with Spain/Portugal itinerary 33 days
- 2 Berlin - Grouping attractions by location
- 3 Do I Tip the Maid & How Much, Paris 3* Hotel?
- 4 My bucket list first trip to Italy
- 5 Jamikins? Other Italy travelers? Need car info, please.
- 6 Return to Yorkshire to walk the Dales Way
- 7 Rest Stops from Tuscany to Umbria
- 8 barcelona neighborhood
- 9 Regarding Residence Permit
- 10 Base in Rhine or Mosel?
- 11 Trip Report: Denmark, 2017
- 12 Tracking the Weather
- 13 TRIP REPORT: Paris, Bordeaux, Dordogne, Toulouse, Provence, and more
- 14 MaiTaiTom Gets The Royal Treatment…Two Weeks Exploring London and Scotland
- 15 Les Invalides Night Show
- 16 Cinque Terre, Bologna and Lake Como
- 17 Black Forest base 7-10 days - public transport
- 18 Which Day?
- 19 Les bons plans de Whathello - St Tropez - Resto
- 20 Support Barcelona, Brussels, Paris, etc
- 21 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 22 Oy, I need help with this mid Sept U.K. trip!
- 23 Itinerary Three Weeks Greece Fall 2018
- 24 Dublin to Dun Laoughaire on a Sunday
- 25 Good mobile plan for traveller