My husband and I are planning a road trip this December with our 2 young sons. We have done a European road trip before when my one son was a baby and had an amazing time but it was in summer.
We can only take a holiday this year in December and really want to road trip again. We thinking of going from around Dec1st to Dec 23rd.
We are from South Africa so are not used to driving in snow or freezing conditions.
I was wondering if anyone could give us some advice on what countries to visit in Europe during this time that would be okay to travel in during winter. I might be way off base and travelling during the snowy season is fine if you take certain precautions, I unfortunately just dont know though.
The countries/cities we have visited are Italy (Venice and Rome),Switzerland (Bern and Geneva), Germany (Heidelberg, Baden Baden), France (Paris, Lyon,Reims, Versailles) and Netherands (Amsterdam). We would prefer not to redo these countries/cities if possible.
Any advice would be great
Road Trip December 2014
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lucerne Switzerland
- 2 2 weeks in Spain
- 3 Confused about train travel - Paris, Colmar, Lucerne, Lake Como
- 4 2 Week Honeymoon France, Italy, Spain, Greece, Rome
- 5 4 Months in Europe
- 6 Rick Steves - Ugly American Again!
- 7 Ventimiglia to Trieste
- 8 Italy Travelogue, part I (Rome)
- 9 at what point should one get health insurance
- 10 Greek Islands in October - who's open?
- 11 Should one go to an iconic place to eat something not very palatable?
- 12 Help with Italy itinerary (18 days: Rome, Umbria, Puglia, Amalfi?)
- 13 Barcelona Hotels, Looking for recommendations
- 14 Ellen & Stu Dudley's trip to the Ile de Re & the Loire.
- 15 Dxb St. Juery Schaffhausen
- 16 PLEASE HELP! Study Abroad either Rome or London for Journalism/PR Major
- 17 Wines charted by flavor
- 18 Our completely revamped, circular tour of Andalucia--more help, please!
- 19 Taxi / tour guides from Granada airport
- 20 Recommendations for city break with baby
- 21 Inexpensive Restaurant in Zurich
- 22 Spain in November
- 23 Travel Cards / just made a $70 mistake?
- 24 Paris: Picasso Museum reopens, Finally
- 25 Southern Spain - What to SEE, what to BUY - what NOT to miss