I know there's lots of RoK talk and I read much, but having trouble finding some specific help with my dilemma.
Question is: I have read that the South Loop of Ring Of Kerry is the best, traveling clockwise to avoid the tour buses, and I'd rather focus on quality over quantity...
1.) How far is it worth it to drive for the South loop? Waterville? Portmagee?
2.) What time should I be my furthest south point by to beat the tour busses? Especially if I want to double back? What's a good recommended departure time?
And a few other considerations which will factor into where I end up staying for the night before (Fossa Village VS Kenmore). I'm planning to leave Cork in the evening, after sundown, and get into either Killarney or Kenmore in the evening around 8pm (or Fossa Village for a BnB there, just west of Killarney town). The town itself isn't much of a consideration as I'm just using it as a starting point in the morning for the day around the ring + national park.
3.) Is Gap of Dunloe worth driving? And if so, how does it compare to the drive through Killarney (+ perhaps a couple shorter stops? Is it worth doing both? If it's worth doing both, I would be inclined to start in Fossa VS Kenmore...
A. Fossa Village via Dunloe Gap to Kenmare to South Loop, double back via Kenmore, Killarney National Park, back to Fossa Village
B. Fossa starting with Killarney drive, Kenmore, south loop, and double back via Dunloe gap in evening
C. Don't start in Fossa village, start in KENMARE instead, and get straight into the southern loop. Double back via either Dunloe Gap or the National Park (which one?)
D. Do the whole loop, and just proceed onward to Dingle at the end?
So the bottom line is, for my 1 day around Kerry, been debating on whether Kenmare or Fossa Village makes more sense as my staging point (ignoring the town as I won't be staying there to explore). Factors in this would be if I should just run the whole loop, or the south portion only to allow more time for Killarney; and whether or not the Dunloe Gap is also worth driving or if I should just pass. And, lastly, how early I want to be out on the south loop (to consider starting location and also when to do Killarney, earlier in day or the end of the day).
Thanks. Sorry for the long post!! Appreciate the insights.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Seeking reasonable itinerary
- 2 B&B in Ireland
- 3 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 4 What experiences were most memorable for your kids?
- 5 Italy Trip- Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast
- 6 Chania Crete -apartment or home stay
- 7 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 8 What kind of tea can i choose in afternoon tea in France?
- 9 Lake District: HF Holiday houses Derwent Bank and Monk Coniston
- 10 13 Days with 13-year-olds in Greece
- 11 Alitala
- 12 Paris Oct 31-Nov 4
- 13 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 14 Iceland photo tour- any tips?
- 15 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 16 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 17 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 18 Villa Honegg: an insider's tip for the Central Switzerland
- 19 Azores v. north coastal Portugal-Best use of time between Lisbon and Porto
- 20 Car service from Vienna Airport
- 21 LeHavre to Rennes/St. Malo?
- 22 Europe First Timers
- 23 Photography gear for Rome and Venice
- 24 Navigation Decouverte cards never expire; right? Wrong!
- 25 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece