My husband and I are travelling from Frankfurt to Cologne via the Rhine River in mid December 2014 and I was looking for some advice on the points below if possible.
* I have heard that the Left side (Left Rhine Line) is more scenic but only goes from Mainz to Cologne. We are happy to catch the train from Frankfurt to Mainz then change. Which site is the best to buy the tickets from? We would like to buy them in advance.
* I realise that at that time of year not everything will be open. But can anyone suggest a couple of towns that have a good amount of things open for us to stop off on the way? We would like to visit a Christmas market and a castle if possible and just sample the local food and wine.
* With the train ticket mentioned before, can we just hop off and on as we like?
* We will have our backpacks with us. Is there anywhere to store them when you get off the train?
* Any other tips/advice that people have would be appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Iceland Ring Road itinerary
- 2 Urgent- Pleaseee HELP - Spain, Italy or France for Xmass and New years
- 3 Reliable tour companies for day trips?
- 4 Swiss Travel Pass
- 5 Article on assistance for US citizens with difficulties abroad
- 6 Paris + Amsterdam: where to stay
- 7 Our Italian Honeymoon (first timers)
- 8 Are St. Chapelle concerts just for tourists?
- 9 Gorges du Tarn, accommodation & Activity recommendations
- 10 Choosing a hotel - Campo de' Fiori or Piazza Venezia?
- 11 Amalfi Coast - help!
- 12 3 weeks in Italy - Family of 4
- 13 Amsterdam and Germany 9 days
- 14 Novels about Spain and Spanish history
- 15 Brouhaha in Britain Over New 5 Pound Notes!
- 16 dining on the 25th in Dublin
- 17 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!
- 18 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 19 Paris to Orly Airport Public Transport
- 20 Last minute (next week) London GTG?
- 21 We're here!
- 22 Acropolis Athens
- 23 Versailles
- 24 Where to enjoy Paris
- 25 Train help for Prague