Several things have happened or have been learned that are influencing me to change my plans for Switzerland and Italy. I would like your input on my current ideas, please.
We leave home for Zurich on September 24, arriving Sept. 25 am, and departing Venice on October 7. That's 12 nights on the ground.
We had originally planned for Lucerne then the Berner Oberland, staying in a mountain town such as Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen. I'm changing my mind for a few reasons:
I read on this forum that this might be late in the year for the BO and someone else was suggested a place further south in Switzerland. I can't find that post but would appreciate input. Also those towns seem very sporty to me and I'm not feeling well. I may have waited until too late in life to plan this Swiss trip, but I think we can still make abbreviated visits to more mountainous towns.
In any case, I'm now thinking of heading straight from Zurich to Interlaken. I don't want to stay in Interlaken, but neither do I want to stay in the mountain towns. I would prefer a day trip to Grindlewald, etc.
I was looking at spots along the lakes on either side of Interlaken. Does anyone have a suggestion that would be good for taking cable cars to the mountains if the weather is right?
From there (?) we will head to Lago Maggiore. I'm not sure where, but my husband likes the idea of Stresa for a couple of days. I thought maybe I would prefer Locarno because it is in Switzerland but would that make a difference?
From there, we will get a car and drive to Vincenza or nearby. The plan is to make day trips to Bassano al Grappa, the Colli Euganei and Padova.
Then on to Venice for the Biennale for our last three nights.
Feedback and ideas are sought, please.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Six Nights (and days) in the Marais
- 2 Kitchen Units Manchester
- 3 Amsterdam and Germany 9 days
- 4 Fodors IT team, ITS TIME.
- 5 Interesting places to visit
- 6 SOUTH OF FRANCE / ITALY ITINERARY SUGGESTIONS
- 7 Amalfi Coast - help!
- 8 Full day in Sintra..what to focus on
- 9 Reliable tour companies for day trips?
- 10 12 Day Central Europe Itinerary
- 11 Short Spain Trip - questions
- 12 Travel options from Budapest to Zagreb
- 13 Advice on Berlin hotels
- 14 3 weeks in Italy - Family of 4
- 15 London: Flaming June and Pirates of Penzeance!
- 16 Input on Itinerary for Visit to Bavaria and Austria Fall 2017
- 17 Europe Travel & Trivia Quiz #138- Bridges, Tunnels!
- 18 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 19 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
- 20 Train help for Prague
- 21 Germany train help!
- 22 Acropolis Athens
- 23 Scandinavia - By land or by sea?
- 24 Swiss Trip Itineraryand Charges
- 25 Swiss Travel Pass