Several things have happened or have been learned that are influencing me to change my plans for Switzerland and Italy. I would like your input on my current ideas, please.
We leave home for Zurich on September 24, arriving Sept. 25 am, and departing Venice on October 7. That's 12 nights on the ground.
We had originally planned for Lucerne then the Berner Oberland, staying in a mountain town such as Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen. I'm changing my mind for a few reasons:
I read on this forum that this might be late in the year for the BO and someone else was suggested a place further south in Switzerland. I can't find that post but would appreciate input. Also those towns seem very sporty to me and I'm not feeling well. I may have waited until too late in life to plan this Swiss trip, but I think we can still make abbreviated visits to more mountainous towns.
In any case, I'm now thinking of heading straight from Zurich to Interlaken. I don't want to stay in Interlaken, but neither do I want to stay in the mountain towns. I would prefer a day trip to Grindlewald, etc.
I was looking at spots along the lakes on either side of Interlaken. Does anyone have a suggestion that would be good for taking cable cars to the mountains if the weather is right?
From there (?) we will head to Lago Maggiore. I'm not sure where, but my husband likes the idea of Stresa for a couple of days. I thought maybe I would prefer Locarno because it is in Switzerland but would that make a difference?
From there, we will get a car and drive to Vincenza or nearby. The plan is to make day trips to Bassano al Grappa, the Colli Euganei and Padova.
Then on to Venice for the Biennale for our last three nights.
Feedback and ideas are sought, please.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Lake District: HF Holiday houses Derwent Bank and Monk Coniston
- 2 Criss-crossing the Camino: 5 weeks in Northern Spain (and a bit of France)
- 3 Iceland photo tour- any tips?
- 4 What experiences were most memorable for your kids?
- 5 Restaurant suggestions in Bologna
- 6 Norther Spain first Iteniary
- 7 Lake Como - Luzern - Germany (need help) - Amsterdam
- 8 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 9 Villa Honegg: an insider's tip for the Central Switzerland
- 10 Azores v. north coastal Portugal-Best use of time between Lisbon and Porto
- 11 What kind of tea can i choose in afternoon tea in France?
- 12 Car service from Vienna Airport
- 13 LeHavre to Rennes/St. Malo?
- 14 Chania Crete -apartment or home stay
- 15 Europe First Timers
- 16 Photography gear for Rome and Venice
- 17 Navigation Decouverte cards never expire; right? Wrong!
- 18 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 19 Funniest of Fodor Threads
- 20 Iceland for Nine Days
- 21 Classical or choral or sacred music venues in Rome
- 22 which train from Gatwick? And rental car pickup
- 23 Supplements in Carry on bag
- 24 Rome or Venice first
- 25 Italy Trip- Venice, Rome, Florence, Cinque Terre, Amalfi Coast