There are two of us that will be traveling to Swizerland & Italy. We have both been before, but this trip are going to new places (except for Wengen, we have been to Lauterbrunnen/Wengen a couple years ago)
I have my air and hotels booked for a trip in June/July 2013, looking for additional suggestions for day trips from each location as well as input on Train Pass.
Here is what we have planned so far, along with the places we are planning to stay:
Day 1: fly into Zurich (from USA) - arrive @ 11:05 am. Take train to Locarno
Day 2 - 5: Stay in Locarno (Du Lac Hotel), Planning to do some hiking, maybe rent a car to go to surrounding areas, day trips.
Day 6 - 9: Stay in Bellagio (INCA Apartment - WWW.BORGORESIDENCE.IT), Planning to do day trips to Como, Mennagio.
Day 10 - 15: Stay in Wengen (Hotel Bären), Planning to hike - still determining which hikes to take. We have been to Lauterbrunnen before and have hiked on both sides, but plan to do additional hikes that were closed our last trip. Planning to go back to Shilthorn and possibly back to Junfrau (weather pending).
Day 16: Stay in Lucerne (Hotel Flora)
Day 17: Flight out of Zurich back to USA - flight leaves @ 10:30 am
1. Train Pass - After some research, I think the best value would be to purchase the Swiss Saver Pass, it would be $872.00 (Second Class) for 2 Adults for 15 Days (to be used from Day 2 - Day 16). This should cover all but the train ticket from Lucerne to Zurich for our fight home on day 17, I believe we would need to purchase that one as an individual ticket.
We did consider buying point to point tickets with the half fare card, but I wasn't sure if we both would need to purchase the half fare card or if only one of us would need to purchase it (and share the discount). Does anyone know when two people traveling together need to purchase the Half Fare card or can one person buy it and use it for one way tickets for both people traveling together? if we both have to purchase the half fare card, it seems like the cost of the point to point for the major trips plus the half fare card would be about $350, so I just figured its worth it to get the Swiss Pass and have unlimited travel and not have to worry about buying individual tickets.
Question - does anyone know if the Swiss pass covers to travels to/from Bellagio? (train to/from Switzerland to Bellagion and back to Switzerland again) What about the buses/ferries while in Bellagio?
Question - if the travel is not covered to/from Bellagio, it seems like it would be more economical to purchase point to point tickets for this rather than an Italy Rail Pass for 4 days. Will we be able to get any discounts on the tickets because we would have the Swiss Pass?
2. Has anyone used the HP Touchpad while in Europe? I would prefer to bring the HP touchpad rather than my laptop (due to size) but I want to make sure that I will be able to connect using the Wifi while there (for emails, looking up train times, other tickets/sightseeing if needed, etc).
3. We are thinking about rental a car while in Locarno to see the surrounding areas - has anyone rented a car in Locarno and is it easy to get around by car? Any tips?
Any other input would be welcome.
Thank you in advance for your input!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Switzerland Itinerary - cheese making?
- 2 Seville Itinerary
- 3 Trip Report: Edinburgh, York, Cornwall and Highclere
- 4 Scotland: Bluebells and Gorse, Castles and Stones, and NO Rain!
- 5 Athens or So. Spain in winter
- 6 Dolomites October 14-18
- 7 Parisian hotel lobby goes on the attack
- 8 Italy by car
- 9 Florence 2 weeks
- 10 Milan overnight or not en route to MXP with 2 kids
- 11 Santorini
- 12 One in Paris ... help
- 13 Bern, Switzerland: Anything Open on Jan 1st?
- 14 8 days in Madrid/Sevilla/Granada
- 15 Here I plan again....Amsterdam
- 16 Help planning!! 3 days between Kandersteg & Interlaken
- 17 T Mobile Does it Again
- 18 Which order should I travel
- 19 Which order should I travel
- 20 Which order should I travel
- 21 Strasbourg sights and day trips
- 22 Train questions for Switzerland
- 23 First timers to Italy
- 24 Traveling from Vienna to Berlin
- 25 SWITZERLAND IN 5 SUMMER DAYS
Requesting input for Itinerary for switzerland/Italy for 16 days and Train Pass