I have a Verizon Droid Incredible. Verizon said when I called that this phone won't work on Italy's network, as they have a GSM network and this Droid is something different. (Sorry, not conversant with the terms.)
My confession is that I am addicted to my smartphone and if I have it with me, will not even need a laptop, which will save a lot of weight.
I just was on this summer in Italy website and saw a plug for http://www.cellularabroad.com/ Has anyone rented a smartphone from them? They have something calle "BLU" which looks kind of like a blackberry, and it is $79 for up to 14 days, but you have to buy a credit (they charge $26 USD for a 10 euro credit... um, maybe someone should let them know how far exchange rates have plunged???)
Anyway, here is another option: Verizon has a program for people traveling under 21 days to a country where they rent you a phone and a package. Probably will be about the same price - it looks on their website like 100MB is $25 plus voice is around $1.29 per minute. We mostly need the data, but it would be nice to have voice in case of emergency.
Has anyone tried either of these options?
Has anyone done this?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Driving through Paris
- 2 Spanish Medical Providers
- 3 13 Nights Greece, first time, April 2018. HELP
- 4 So Many Places, So Little Time-17 Day Euro Trip--HELP!
- 5 He Musta Saw Us a-Comin': A Brief, Cautionary Tale about Taxis in Rome
- 6 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 7 wondering if this trip too ambitious
- 8 Looking for a 5 star resort on Spanish coast for January
- 9 Venice to Zermatt by Train
- 10 Arenalullring area Seville?
- 11 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 12 Zurich to Milan trip
- 13 Planes, Train, and, well, no automobiles
- 14 Just the wine list please and Daisy came too.
- 15 Train help Lyon to Annecy to Montreaux
- 16 Poor weather outlook 10/16-19 Grindenwald
- 17 Itinerary between Milan and Venice
- 18 San Sebastián
- 19 Andalusia suggests - which order is best?
- 20 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 21 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 22 Ambitious 1st time trip through Europe whilst pregnant??
- 23 Trip planning to Paris, Lyon, Strasbourg
- 24 Destination ideas for 88 year old
- 25 Planning A trip