I have a Verizon Droid Incredible. Verizon said when I called that this phone won't work on Italy's network, as they have a GSM network and this Droid is something different. (Sorry, not conversant with the terms.)
My confession is that I am addicted to my smartphone and if I have it with me, will not even need a laptop, which will save a lot of weight.
I just was on this summer in Italy website and saw a plug for http://www.cellularabroad.com/ Has anyone rented a smartphone from them? They have something calle "BLU" which looks kind of like a blackberry, and it is $79 for up to 14 days, but you have to buy a credit (they charge $26 USD for a 10 euro credit... um, maybe someone should let them know how far exchange rates have plunged???)
Anyway, here is another option: Verizon has a program for people traveling under 21 days to a country where they rent you a phone and a package. Probably will be about the same price - it looks on their website like 100MB is $25 plus voice is around $1.29 per minute. We mostly need the data, but it would be nice to have voice in case of emergency.
Has anyone tried either of these options?
Has anyone done this?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 2 Portugal and Spain Itinerary Suggestions
- 3 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
- 4 Can No Longer o a Road Trip in Europe - what's a better train trip?
- 5 Eastern France - A TR in Pictures
- 6 Austria / Bavaria in late Oct/Early Nov
- 7 Swiss Alps in the Spring-Some Questions
- 8 First-ish Trip To UK Itinerary Suggestions?
- 9 Notes on Venice, Bassano del Grappa, Garda, Cremona & Milan (Sept 2016)
- 10 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 11 Need help with itinerary & trains
- 12 House Hunting in France
- 13 English Countryside
- 14 Tour of Northern Italy
- 15 12 days itinerary - Netherland, Belgium & Germany
- 16 Cognac transportation?
- 17 Warsaw Pollution Reaches Record Highs...
- 18 Prague, Rome or Amsterdam
- 19 No Train On Kings Day Amsterdam?
- 20 Manchester Airport Connection Time
- 21 Granada to Madrid
- 22 San Sebastian
- 23 Athens daytrip - feasible?
- 24 Hotel in Vienna
- 25 8 to 9 days in switzerland with swiss pass