I have a Verizon Droid Incredible. Verizon said when I called that this phone won't work on Italy's network, as they have a GSM network and this Droid is something different. (Sorry, not conversant with the terms.)
My confession is that I am addicted to my smartphone and if I have it with me, will not even need a laptop, which will save a lot of weight.
I just was on this summer in Italy website and saw a plug for http://www.cellularabroad.com/ Has anyone rented a smartphone from them? They have something calle "BLU" which looks kind of like a blackberry, and it is $79 for up to 14 days, but you have to buy a credit (they charge $26 USD for a 10 euro credit... um, maybe someone should let them know how far exchange rates have plunged???)
Anyway, here is another option: Verizon has a program for people traveling under 21 days to a country where they rent you a phone and a package. Probably will be about the same price - it looks on their website like 100MB is $25 plus voice is around $1.29 per minute. We mostly need the data, but it would be nice to have voice in case of emergency.
Has anyone tried either of these options?
Has anyone done this?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Fly out Venice or Rome
- 2 Renting a car in Greece
- 3 renting a car in greece
- 4 This Pirate goes to Penzance, and then on to the land of Fire and Ice
- 5 Booking Irish Rail ticket
- 6 From Biarritz to Paris- 2 extra nights
- 7 Sim card/Amsterdam
- 8 Frankfurt to Achen travel by train
- 9 Getting out of Glasgow - ideas needed
- 10 Taking Renfe's FAVA Train Across Northern Spain?
- 11 Drive from Montepulciano to Cinque Terre
- 12 retruning to US with souveniers
- 13 Is there a forum just for Paris?
- 14 Is Sicily and Pompeii in 4 days worth it?
- 15 First steps for Russian trip planning
- 16 Italy- dolomites and cinque terre
- 17 stopover between antequerra and granada?
- 18 Does anyone have experience with Lipault luggage?
- 19 Driving Prague to Zurich to Amsterdam w/ 2 toddlers
- 20 Ireland and Scotland September 2017
- 21 Please help: Swiss Pass/Lucerne/Engadine?
- 22 Help on ancient history route
- 23 Verona to/around Lake Garda: Sights
- 24 Charming hotels in Paris, please help.
- 25 Can you locate this picture in Greece?