I have a Verizon Droid Incredible. Verizon said when I called that this phone won't work on Italy's network, as they have a GSM network and this Droid is something different. (Sorry, not conversant with the terms.)
My confession is that I am addicted to my smartphone and if I have it with me, will not even need a laptop, which will save a lot of weight.
I just was on this summer in Italy website and saw a plug for http://www.cellularabroad.com/ Has anyone rented a smartphone from them? They have something calle "BLU" which looks kind of like a blackberry, and it is $79 for up to 14 days, but you have to buy a credit (they charge $26 USD for a 10 euro credit... um, maybe someone should let them know how far exchange rates have plunged???)
Anyway, here is another option: Verizon has a program for people traveling under 21 days to a country where they rent you a phone and a package. Probably will be about the same price - it looks on their website like 100MB is $25 plus voice is around $1.29 per minute. We mostly need the data, but it would be nice to have voice in case of emergency.
Has anyone tried either of these options?
Has anyone done this?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 For Paris-knowledgable - best neighborhood to stay a week-plus
- 2 3 weeks italy itinerary
- 3 UK in May and June
- 4 Mr & Mrs Annhig need your help planning bucket list trip to Switzerland
- 5 Adivice from experts please, Southern Dutch/Belgium German Borders
- 6 Berlin activities -need help with organisation, please
- 7 Looking for a UK coach tour company for seniors
- 8 23 day honeymoon to Greece
- 9 With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
- 10 Italy itinerary - input needed, please!!
- 11 Globus Iberian Tour
- 12 Spain: train/rental car help
- 13 Drive or Train from Zurich to Florence?
- 14 Drive or Train from Zurich to Florence?
- 15 Budapest Card
- 16 First trip to the UK, please help me
- 17 Help Needed for 8/20: Train from Salzburg to Garmisch
- 18 Copenhagen,Helsinki,St. Petersburg in mid September
- 19 Italian Opera-Edinburgh Tattoo-"Great" Houses-Cornwall: Ongoing and FINAL
- 20 Best tour or day trip from EL Ferrol Spain
- 21 Bath/Cotswolds
- 22 Shorts in South of France?
- 23 Laura and Steve's Spanish Adventure
- 24 Switzerland part of 3-week trip
- 25 base for Andalucia