We have begun in earnest to dream, talk, hypothesize, and speculate about being able to return to France next summer, 2015,---specifically to Burgundy----and what better place to look for ideas than here at Fodor's? The timing would be early June.
My husband loves (loves loves) pinot noir and is enchanted with the notion of terroir... and his dream is to stay on a working winery or set amidst (or adjacent to, or with a view of) vineyards. I also plan to look through VRBO, but would love to know of any recommendations you all have as well. Also any advice on which part of Burgundy is much appreciated.
We will be with the 2 kids (girls, 12 and 9), and no grandparents on this trip, so no built in babysitters—so we don't plan to partake of winery tours and wine-tasting. Just good, relaxing family time set amidst French vineyards.
--We like to cook (and want to partake of the local markets) so a functional kitchen is a must.
---Walking proximity to a village would be a nice feature, especially if the property is particularly charming.
---Then again, I'm not opposed to being out in the countryside a car ride to pastries and wine shops.
---2 bedrooms would be ideal.
---A yard the kids can go into, or park nearby, or walking or biking trails nearby would be good for the children. (This would of course be mitigated if it were part of a village we could get out into and explore.)
---In the Loire Valley our last trip, we found several great bike trails and rented bikes a couple times. Are there safe (off main road) bike paths in Burgundy such as they have in the Loire Valley? We'll travel with our helmets because we'll be visiting the Loire again on this trip... we'd love to find something similar in Burgundy.
As far as what part of Burgundy to stay, I'm completely open to suggestions. We'll have a car.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Question about National Visa to Tourist Visa
- 2 Italy for Christmas Week
- 3 About to buy tickets to Greece - advice please!
- 4 Roughing out a train/car trip from London to Scotland
- 5 The mouse munches her way through far off lands: The Christams Edition
- 6 Scotland better in July or Aug/Sept?
- 7 Northern Italy 11 days Milan in/out
- 8 How much time to allow between arrival at CDG and train departure?
- 9 8 Days in Rome in March 2017 - planning thread
- 10 Chilling in the Cyclades May 2014--Mykonos, Naxos, Paros, Santorini, Athens
- 11 B&B suggestions for Dublin, Kinsale, Killarney, Ennis
- 12 A Week In Athens - Trip Report
- 13 Easiest London Airport for Transfer To/From Heathrow
- 14 Honeymoon in April-May 2017: Spain or Greece?
- 15 restaurants in Marais district
- 16 France & Italy, May or June
- 17 Aug 2017 - Italy with Boys (12 & 7 yr old)
- 18 Engadine Valley help
- 19 Amsterdam and Beyond - 7 Days
- 20 Itinerary Help - One week between Sicily and Rome
- 21 Andalusia March 2 - March 11 Barcelona to Lisbon
- 22 Honeymoon in Greece
- 23 A Month stay in Southern France
- 24 Shoes in Scotland
- 25 Please recommend an honest car rental service in Romania