We are planning a trip to France and Italy for next year and I believe we have settled on the following itinerary:
Fly into Venice
3 nights Venice
7 nights Tuscany (agriturismo outside of Sienna)
2 nights Lucca
2 nights Nice
7 nights Antibes
Fly out of Nice
Travelers are me, my husband and our 9-year old twins. My husband and I have been to Italy and France before (mostly Italy). This will be the kids' first trip.
We want a car in Tuscany, but I've read a fair amount about this and don't want a car in Lucca, Nice or on the Cote d'Azur (because it sounds like we can get around fine without one and so we'd like to save the money). The thing is, we want to visit Pisa when we stay over in Lucca. So my questions are where should we pick up a car? And where should we drop it off? I think the kids would enjoy taking a train south from Venice for a while and I don't see the need to drive all the way from there to Tuscany. I don't want to go into Florence to pick up a car.
Lastly, I've neve rented a car in Italy before. Any general advice or warnings?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Undiscovered Places in Paris
- 2 London flat rental: the more I research, the more frustrating it becomes
- 3 Train from Polgate to St Pancras
- 4 Barcelona alternative
- 5 Charming movie to watch if you've visited Erice in Sicily
- 6 Apple Pay on London Transit
- 7 Frankfurt to UK
- 8 Requesting feedback on proposed itinerary—London, Cornwall, and Wales, June 2018
- 9 Spanish Medical Providers
- 10 Piedmont, Cinque Terre, Lucca trip report
- 11 Greece - when is the best time to go for warm but not too crowded?
- 12 Boozing and Bathing in Budapest!
- 13 Italy Car Scam
- 14 God Save the Queen?
- 15 Daily budget for London (accommodation already paid for)
- 16 Mantova, Ravenna, Brisighella, Bologna
- 17 Christmas windows in Paris 2016
- 18 Trip Report: Scotland, Vienna, Prague, and Berlin (May/June 2017)
- 19 Itinerary for 5 adults, 3 kids, 2 weeks, & 1 holiday adventure!
- 20 Paris to Italy
- 21 9 Days in Spain
- 22 FRANCE 10 YEARS ON: Paris Dordogne Albi Toulouse Arles S Rhone and Nice
- 23 Bulgaria- hidden gems
- 24 Give 2 1/2 Days to Porto or 1 1/2 Days with Day Trip to Coimbra?
- 25 Help with Portugal Itinerary Please