We are planning a trip to France and Italy for next year and I believe we have settled on the following itinerary:
Fly into Venice
3 nights Venice
7 nights Tuscany (agriturismo outside of Sienna)
2 nights Lucca
2 nights Nice
7 nights Antibes
Fly out of Nice
Travelers are me, my husband and our 9-year old twins. My husband and I have been to Italy and France before (mostly Italy). This will be the kids' first trip.
We want a car in Tuscany, but I've read a fair amount about this and don't want a car in Lucca, Nice or on the Cote d'Azur (because it sounds like we can get around fine without one and so we'd like to save the money). The thing is, we want to visit Pisa when we stay over in Lucca. So my questions are where should we pick up a car? And where should we drop it off? I think the kids would enjoy taking a train south from Venice for a while and I don't see the need to drive all the way from there to Tuscany. I don't want to go into Florence to pick up a car.
Lastly, I've neve rented a car in Italy before. Any general advice or warnings?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Cambrils
- 2 getting to CDG
- 3 2 week trip to Lisbon, Porto, Douro, seeking input
- 4 Single mom w/ 8 mo baby traveling to Paris and London
- 5 kimhe or others - flamenco rec in Sevilla?
- 6 Scotland 10 Nights - Trying To Narrow Down Where To Go & Stay
- 7 UK in July -- early planning stages
- 8 Iceland 9 Days Late March - Review Itinerary!
- 9 3-4 days Netherland trip
- 10 Amalfi Coast help
- 11 Day trips ideas from Lausanne, Switzerland
- 12 CDG airport and connection time
- 13 Paris getaway with my daughter hotel ideas
- 14 Day trip to Montserrat - any tips?
- 15 Another northern Italy itinerary.
- 16 Amalfi coast hotel recs
- 17 solo guy traveling to europe help please
- 18 Tripcho Travel Guided Tours
- 19 Trains in Alps and UK
- 20 Switzerland
- 21 January Sicily and exploding cornetto al cioccolato
- 22 More earthquakes in central Italy
- 23 Itinerary help needed: 10-11 days in Calabria, Siciily, and (maybe) Puglia
- 24 Spending Money for 10 Days in France/Italy
- 25 2 Months - Dubrovnik to Frankfurt Itinerary